Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to Rock n roll

PaulWarning

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1437919981' post='2829973']
All these things find their own level of popularity, like bobbing corks, no..?
[/quote]

Cork bobbing is still quite popular round here. Just thought I'd mention that.

As for rock and roll, it is a ghastly, emasculated shadow of that which once it was. 'Rock' is either floppy ginger-haired boys mincing around with small bodied acoustics or fatuous 'metal dudes dialling in their signature tone and shreddin' the sh*t outa this town with our awesome chops'.

It is all too perfectly frightful; we would be better off drawing a discreet veil over the whole appalling 'rock' farrago and confining our adumbrations to something taut and edgy like teaspoon collecting.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1437931439' post='2830142']
Marilyn Manson?
[/quote]

No... she was in some band or other in the 90s... this is going to bug me. Shirley Manson, that's it!
Another one who looks like she's got her eyes painted on her eyelids. :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437931010' post='2830141']
Anything with Laverne in it is always going to be weak. I can't get past the fact that she looks like she has eyes painted on her eyelids. Like that other bird, whatsername... Manson, Munsen, Munster..? Oh, never mind.
[/quote]

She's bloody atrocious at whatever she does.
And don't get me started on her weird boggly eyes, she looks like a plaice with a blond wig on.

Her band was called Kenickie. They were sh*t.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1437929304' post='2830105']
...we would be better off drawing a discreet veil over the whole appalling 'rock' farrago...
[/quote]

Quite right too. My veils are now available in many different styles starting at £49.99. PM me if interested.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437931985' post='2830151']
Quite right too. My veils are now available in many different styles starting at £49.99. PM me if interested.
[/quote]

I'll order another beefy one, like last time, sometime, once I've a fixed address. I'd like to try veil meat again, don't know where, don't know when. :mellow:

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1437918911' post='2829959']
Rock and roll is virtually dead. Young people don't want it any more.
[/quote]

I think it depends on the definition of 'Rock n Roll'.

If you include more recent guitar bands like Arctic Monkeys they seem to be doing very nicely.

I try to listen to Annie Mac's 7-9pm show on Radio 1 a couple of times a week (although I'm some way outside of their target demographic of 16-24).

Its gotten a bit more electronic oriented since Zane Lowe left but there still always seems to be a handful of new bands who I think could fit the description of Rock n' Roll.

Tastes seem to evolve & revolve over time, give it a few more years & there'll be another band putting their own twist on the Rock'n'Roll genre & storming the charts all over again.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437931985' post='2830151']
[/quote]

I can testify to the high quality and astonishing durability of Discreet Veils. My grandmother purchased one from their Uxbridge Rd branch in 1926; it's still in fantastic condition though we use it as an antimacassar, veils having become unfashionable here in Wiltshire.

Messrs Discreet's range of curtains also come highly recommended, particularly the beef option. Buy with confidence.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1437936511' post='2830195']
All the while there's testosterone and freedom of expression, there'll be rock n roll.
[/quote]

Quite. The 'Rock's Dead' argument comes round with monotonous regularity.
It's usually discussed very earnestly by people who don't know what it is.

I think heavier rock will take a hit when the likes of AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and even The Who and Rolling Stones pack up. There won`t be many bands left that will fill stadium`s around the world. That will take away some of the exposure of the newer bands. They will still be around though, as there will be a market for guitar bands for a while yet.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1437948411' post='2830346']

Care to expand on that?
[/quote]

I mean it's just as bound by it's conventions as anything else. Even it's 'rebels' have to conform to a certain set of rules that have become defined over the years.
It's all very tired & well past it's sell-by date IMO.

I've been gigging for about a year, but going along with my Mum or Dad's band to places for a couple of years before that. What strikes me about the audiences is - where are the young people?

I've been gigging a lot of late with my Dad's friend's covers band. Parties are great, as there's a ready-made audience. But, when we play in pubs (Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire Sussex area - plus a couple in the Midlands) - there are never any teenagers or people in their twenties there. The audiences are in their forties and fifties and beyond for the most part.

Young people do other things.

Rock n roll is a rite of passage for teenagers/early twenty-somethings.
A time for dancing, Sha**ing and getting off one's face with your mates who are just as free as you. There's plenty of young bands around having their rock and roll time. They just don't want to party with their dads.
The only people who moan that RnR is dead now seems to be the older dad rockers.
It might be dead for them..

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1437985516' post='2830458']
Rock n roll is a rite of passage for teenagers/early twenty-somethings.
A time for dancing, Sha**ing and getting off one's face with your mates who are just as free as you. There's plenty of young bands around having their rock and roll time. They just don't want to party with their dads.
The only people who moan that RnR is dead now seems to be the older dad rockers.
It might be dead for them..
[/quote]

Older dad rockers like 'stones' and AC/DC :D

So, who is rock and roll aimed at exactly, young or old. Bearing in mind the age of most of the great stadium bands still going. Interestingly, when you study live video's by these same stadium bands they obviously think that the demographic of fans is still in 20s age range? Whereas my old mum was probably throwing her knickiers at Mick Jagger in the 60s :D . Possibly The Stranglers have an strong honest following of guys in there 50s who think they are still 18 :D

Edited by mentalextra

Dave Grohl put it well in the series he did in all the different studios- 'the gentrification of rock'. I was a teenager in the 90s and did the whole grunge thing, really wanted to rebel etc. Now I'm a music teacher and the kids look at me with my electric guitar the same way I used to view teachers who told me about jazz. I used to think they were awful, but jazz was gentrified by then and now I've learned a bit more about it I know the original jazzers were badass in their time.

A large part of the problem for the new generation is that it's so widely publicised how much the previous generations have rebelled. We've had the tattooed devil worshipping drug taking screw anything with a pulse scare stories for decades now. When I told my dad I wanted to grow my hair it was fully in the knowledge he'd done it too. When I told my mum I'd been at a party with people smoking a bit of weed, I knew she'd done that back in the day too. It might be my lack of imagination, but there's very little left to exploit!

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1437982997' post='2830432']
I've been gigging a lot of late with my Dad's friend's covers band. Parties are great, as there's a ready-made audience. But, when we play in pubs (Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire Sussex area - plus a couple in the Midlands) - there are never any teenagers or people in their twenties there. The audiences are in their forties and fifties and beyond for the most part.
[/quote]

Try somerset, no shortage of early twenties at pubs there.

The death of Rock and Roll may be attributed to a number of factors:

* Over supply at both the local and global level

* The tameness and predictability of the content and presentation at all levels when compared to other musical genres

* The natural entropy of any popular artistic form

* Ageing core audience with a diminishing number of 'new' entrants.

* The wide availability of alternative forms of entertainment or distraction including - but not limited to - the internet, TV, games, all of which provide the secondary function of identity-building and group involvement as previously supplied by Rock.

'Rock' has lasted longer in the public eye than any other musical genre (save perhaps music hall / musical theatre 1840-1955). It is unsurprising that Rock is on its last legs; then again, so am I so its not a problem for me.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1437982997' post='2830432']
I've been gigging for about a year, but going along with my Mum or Dad's band to places for a couple of years before that. What strikes me about the audiences is - where are the young people?

Young people do other things.
[/quote]
Next time my kids (23 and 21) are off out to a rock gig, I shall have to ask them why they aren't doing other things. ;)