Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to Rock n roll

PaulWarning

Guest Jecklin

I saw a bit of it.

Odd selection of guests - Bloke from the animals, John cooper Clark and Camille Berthomier from savages.

Based on them it appears rock n'roll turned into nostalgia and pastiche.

I started off watching it and quickly switched off. People trying to analyse something and show off how clever they are by finding hidden meanings in something that doesn`t need taking apart. Said hidden (imagined in my opinion) meanings often described with very long words to further promote this idea of how clever they are.

Thought it was an interesting idea that just didn't deliver.

If you're looking to take apart and analyse something like rock 'n' roll (and I'm not suggesting you should) then I think you'd have to look beyond Lauren Laverne to get the best out of the programme - for me Paul Morley would be the logical choice.

It felt like it didn't know what it was trying to achieve (be serious or frivolous) and as a consequence ended up offering little to nothing by way of answering the programme's question.

For me, rock 'n' roll is about rebellion, danger, spirit, looking the part, the ability to excite/tease/anger, make people afraid/think/inspire etc - if you listen to people who heard, say, Elvis for the first time that's the way they tend to describe the experience. When punk arrived that's how a lot of people felt - out with the old and in with the new. It's about giving the younger generation a voice musically, and with that in mind the only band I saw resembling the true spirit of rock 'n' roll (as I see it anyway) were Young Fathers.

The music didn't do anything for me, mind, but then given my age it's not supposed to..

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1437823687' post='2829302']
I turned off when I saw two chavs standing by a laptop, one of them shouting.... I switched back a few minutes later to see some "band" called The Young Fathers.... I lasted about 3 seconds before I switched off and went to bed!
[/quote]

+1 Wasn't impressed!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1437908255' post='2829834']
Why does rock n' roll have to involve a guitar?
[/quote]
Why does cricket involve a bat?

Actually, in R&Rs early days a piano was often de rigeur.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1437813384' post='2829185']
Anybody watch this,what a dreadful programme, old men moaning about 'it ain't what it used to be' included Noel Gallagher. Inane questioning from Lauren Laverne, pitiful.
[/quote]
I never saw the programme. Were the "old men" really "moaning"? Or were they just stating the facts? The fact is, Rock n Roll aint what it used to be... and why should it? You'd expect to hear/see some changes in the 60 odd years that R&R (in the broader definition) has been around.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1437915884' post='2829927']
Because that's the rules. Rock n' roll has no rules.
[/quote] Good answer!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1437915975' post='2829929']
Replace laptop with guitar and that was essentialy punk.
[/quote]our singer raves about the Sleaford Mods, just don't get it myself, just a lot of shouting and swearing about what's wrong with the world, don't see what's funny or clever about calling someone a f***ing ****, I was wondering the other day, at what age does an angry young man become a moaning old git, or is there an in between bit?

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1437918911' post='2829959']
Rock and roll is virtually dead. Young people don't want it any more.
[/quote]

Yes I have to agree I'm afraid... I fear for the future of rock music with very few people under 40 have even a passing interest.

It's not all bad though, other types of music will come and go, things change... it's always been this way.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437919240' post='2829963']
Yes I have to agree I'm afraid... I fear for the future of rock music with very few people under 40 have even a passing interest.

It's not all bad though, other types of music will come and go, things change... it's always been this way.
[/quote] I am not so sure that is true. There are loads of new rock bands playing original stuff. It will never be as big as it was in the 70`s, but it has been fairly underground for many years, and will continue to be.

There's not much call for skiffle, either, nor jive. The world rolls on. This month's 'flavour of the week' will, in its turn, become 'has-been'. I doubt that Viennese waltzing comes back as 'mainstream' any time soon, nor 'flower power'. The next generations will make their own space, and so they should. B)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1437919468' post='2829965']
I am not so sure that is true. There are loads of new rock bands playing original stuff. It will never be as big as it was in the 70`s, but it has been fairly underground for many years, and will continue to be.
[/quote]

There are still jazz clubs (or so I'm told...), and tea dances, but these recreations become steadily more and more 'niche'. I suspect that r&r will, in time, become just as marginal. Not disappear, just become less visible. There are still folk bands, and have been for centuries. No longer on the front page, though. Does it matter..? All these things find their own level of popularity, like bobbing corks, no..?