Why become a member? ×

Amp on...no sound. HELP!

shizznit

I just played a wedding gig and the mains that my rig was plugged into tripped. The power was put back on after a trip to the fuse box back and everything seemed okay, but the amp is not producing any volume. The amp powers up fine, but it's not delivering anything to the speakers.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Do you know what is powering up? Is it just the front end or is it everything but the speaker out?

What amp are you using? Tube, solid state, or both? - does the DI or line in work (if it has them)?.

I'm not sure if most amps have separate fuses or circuit breakers for the power and pre-amp sections of the amplifier - if it has the pre could be working but it might just be a single part of the power stage that's gone . . . hope it's just the fuse!

There may be a fuse in your amp that has gone. The fuse, in the harmonica player in my band's Fender Bassman, went about a year ago. She didn't have a spare, so decided to wrap it in silver foil, fit it back in the amp, and carry on. It worked, but it could have caused internal damage to the amp (and her) if there was an electrical issue with the amp, which caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

She now carries spare fuses to every gig.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1437877173' post='2829707']
Do you know what is powering up? Is it just the front end or is it everything but the speaker out?

What amp are you using? Tube, solid state, or both? - does the DI or line in work (if it has them)?.

I'm not sure if most amps have separate fuses or circuit breakers for the power and pre-amp sections of the amplifier - if it has the pre could be working but it might just be a single part of the power stage that's gone . . . hope it's just the fuse!
[/quote]

The amp in question is my EBS TD650. It both tube and solid state.

It looks like the front end that's knackered. It's not accepting a signal from the bass, but even if I crank the volume all the way up the speakers don't hiss. It's a strange one. I am going to pop it open later to see if a fuse has blown. I had a similar problem with an EA iAmp 500 a few years ago and all it was was a blown fuse, so hopefully that's all I will have to replace.

Yup...it was a blown fuse. Opened up the amp and there it was in all of its blackened glory. Replaced it and works perfectly. Not sure what part of the amp the fuse protected (I'm technically deficient in that way), but ignorance is bliss. I'm ready to roll tonight!

Thanks for the help guys.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1437919961' post='2829972']
Yup...it was a blown fuse. Opened up the amp and there it was in all of its blackened glory. Replaced it and works perfectly. Not sure what part of the amp the fuse protected (I'm technically deficient in that way), but ignorance is bliss. I'm ready to roll tonight!

Thanks for the help guys.
[/quote]

Check into it. Fuses don't fail just to create some excitement in our lives. If you don't find the cause you can be sure it'll happen again.