11 replies to this topic

#1 Andytre

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Bass, mountain bikes and audio

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Looking out for a nice little tube combo and love the look of these! Has anyone had a chance to play through one? Or anyone one know of a good tube combo for around the same 200 price tag?

Fender Dee Dee Remone Precision
Musicman SUB U.S.A
4xBitsa P
Bitsa J
7 HB dekos
Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.2
Ashdown Eb180 head
2x Genz benz focus 1x12
1x10 DIY cab
1x15 DIY cab

#2 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts
  • Interests:Clause wrangling

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:42 PM

The Fender pawn shop amps are jolly little items at a very reasonable price. Nice sounds, cool packages.

Vaporizers are very popular but if you're prepared to buy second-hand there are a fair number of Excelsiors floating around at the moment. If you go the s/h Excelsior route either get the v2 (with a better stock speaker) or budget £50-70 for a replacement Celestion or Eminence. FWIW, Excelsiors are supposed to be more Brownface than Tweed.

Though unfashionable, s/h Laney LC15's also sound quite nice as do Pro Juniors, though the latter rarely come in under £200. If you're prepared to go to a lower wattage s/h Epiphone valve Juniors are cheap as chips and do the business at home. Not really loud enough for gigging, I'd imagine.

#3 CamdenRob

Heft doubter...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts
  • Interests:Sleep...

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

View Postskankdelvar, on 31 July 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

there are a fair number of Excelsiors floating around at the moment.

Posted Image

That looks so cool I want one even if it sounds sh*t ... :mellow:

*edit - I've just checked out some of the other pawn shop amps and the Ramparte is even prettier..

Posted Image

Edited by CamdenRob, 31 July 2015 - 02:41 PM.

Bass Guitars :
Wal MK3 6 String Fretless (2017 - Figured Maple)
Wal MK3 6 String Fretted (2015 - Ziricote)

Amplification :
Epifani Piccolo 600
Barefaced One10 (x2)

http://baronmoa.bandcamp.com/releases

#4 Ancient Mariner

How do I delete my account?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

The vaporizer has a SS preamp running through a valve output stage AFAIK. That's not necessarily bad at all, but it's not *quite* what it seemed (I was very interested a while back and hunted down discussions on TDPRI etc). IIRC someone here has/had one too.

The Ramparte looks really good (not cheap) though I've no idea if it's great or not. I like small combos and have several around as well as my home-builds. Presently hunting down another blown Marshall MG30 to gut, because it's not hard to shoehorn in a 12" speaker to get a killer small combo. Look out for Pignose G40V amps - they're tiny and quite cheap, but with a decent speaker they can blow the doors off and shake the floor, and the tone is good with V1 swapped to a 12AT7 or similar lower gain valve.

Shame you're not down this way to try some stuff.

*edit*

Just had a quick look on the 'bay and there are several 30W and 15W Laneys that are likely to go well under £200. There were also a couple of Vox Night Trains/lil night train that might have suited.

Edited by Ancient Mariner, 31 July 2015 - 10:08 PM.

My feedback

Light travels faster than sound: that's why some people appear bright until they speak.

#5 Jenny_Innie

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

This is what you want

#6 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostAncient Mariner, on 31 July 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

There were also a couple of Vox Night Trains/lil night train that might have suited.

Good call. A few years ago I went out with a chum and trialled a shed load of small valve amps, including the Marshall Class 5, the Fender Pro Junior, the Tiny Terror, the Dark Terror, a Blackstar and the Night Train.

Of these I liked the NT best - it may not have the 'rawk' image but it sounded very nice in both clean and dirty modes.

#7 Ancient Mariner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Last year at the Marshall factory the guy I spoke with told me that all the handwired marshalls use EXACTLY the same components as the PCB amps and sound the same too.
My feedback

Light travels faster than sound: that's why some people appear bright until they speak.

#8 Ancient Mariner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

View PostJenny_Innie, on 31 July 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

This is what you want

With a 10" speaker, I'd agree, but 8" is just a bit too small.
My feedback

#9 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostAncient Mariner, on 02 August 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

With a 10" speaker, I'd agree, but 8" is just a bit too small.

BassChat top honcho and Interweb tycoon Kiwi runs a pair of those TS combos in stereo. In the event that he sashays by this thread he may enlighten us further as to the TubeScreamer's effectiveness.

#10 Beer of the Bass

I ought to be practicing really...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

There seem to be two versions of the Ibanez TSA-5 combo, the older one with the 10" speaker and no reverb or the newer one in the video. I haven't tried them but they look like nice little amps, and I guess the choice between the two would be down to whether reverb or the bigger speaker was more important to you. The last time I tried out amps in this sort of range, I liked the Laney LC15 and Cub 10 too.
Another amp that looks interesting in your budget is the Belcat Tube 20R (Also sold as SubZero). Again, I haven't seen these in the flesh, but from photos posted online they appear to be a very close copy of the Fender Blues Junior (right down to the PCB layout) and they use reasonable parts.

#11 skankdelvar

Tame Sesquipedalian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

@OP: Ramparte opening at £150 on fleabay

#12 blank20

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip