Why become a member? ×

Fender vapourizer/other options

Andytre

The Fender pawn shop amps are jolly little items at a very reasonable price. Nice sounds, cool packages.

Vaporizers are very popular but if you're prepared to buy second-hand there are a fair number of Excelsiors floating around at the moment. If you go the s/h Excelsior route either get the v2 (with a better stock speaker) or budget £50-70 for a replacement Celestion or Eminence. FWIW, Excelsiors are supposed to be more Brownface than Tweed.

Though unfashionable, s/h Laney LC15's also sound quite nice as do Pro Juniors, though the latter rarely come in under £200. If you're prepared to go to a lower wattage s/h Epiphone valve Juniors are cheap as chips and do the business at home. Not really loud enough for gigging, I'd imagine.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438350157' post='2833809']
there are a fair number of Excelsiors floating around at the moment.
[/quote]

That looks so cool I want one even if it sounds sh*t ... :mellow:

*edit - I've just checked out some of the other pawn shop amps and the Ramparte is even prettier..

Edited by CamdenRob

The vaporizer has a SS preamp running through a valve output stage AFAIK. That's not necessarily bad at all, but it's not *quite* what it seemed (I was very interested a while back and hunted down discussions on TDPRI etc). IIRC someone here has/had one too.

The Ramparte looks really good (not cheap) though I've no idea if it's great or not. I like small combos and have several around as well as my home-builds. Presently hunting down another blown Marshall MG30 to gut, because it's not hard to shoehorn in a 12" speaker to get a killer small combo. Look out for Pignose G40V amps - they're tiny and quite cheap, but with a decent speaker they can blow the doors off and shake the floor, and the tone is good with V1 swapped to a 12AT7 or similar lower gain valve.

Shame you're not down this way to try some stuff.

*edit*

Just had a quick look on the 'bay and there are several 30W and 15W Laneys that are likely to go well under £200. There were also a couple of Vox Night Trains/lil night train that might have suited.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1438378763' post='2834189']
There were also a couple of Vox Night Trains/lil night train that might have suited.
[/quote]

Good call. A few years ago I went out with a chum and trialled a shed load of small valve amps, including the Marshall Class 5, the Fender Pro Junior, the Tiny Terror, the Dark Terror, a Blackstar and the Night Train.

Of these I liked the NT best - it may not have the 'rawk' image but it sounded [i]very[/i] nice in both clean and dirty modes.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1438553085' post='2835445']
With a 10" speaker, I'd agree, but 8" is just a bit too small.
[/quote]

BassChat top honcho and Interweb tycoon Kiwi runs a pair of those TS combos in stereo. In the event that he sashays by this thread he may enlighten us further as to the TubeScreamer's effectiveness.

There seem to be two versions of the Ibanez TSA-5 combo, the older one with the 10" speaker and no reverb or the newer one in the video. I haven't tried them but they look like nice little amps, and I guess the choice between the two would be down to whether reverb or the bigger speaker was more important to you. The last time I tried out amps in this sort of range, I liked the Laney LC15 and Cub 10 too.
Another amp that looks interesting in your budget is the Belcat Tube 20R (Also sold as SubZero). Again, I haven't seen these in the flesh, but from photos posted online they appear to be a very close copy of the Fender Blues Junior (right down to the PCB layout) and they use reasonable parts.

• 11 months later...

I would choose Excelsior, but for the £200 price tag i found only theese two
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/139791_Laney-Cub10-valve-electric-guitar-combo-.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bugera-BUGERA-BUGERA-V5-INFINIUM-/231991589663?hash=item3603c6bb1f:g:f5QAAOSwM4xXb0R2