Why become a member? ×

Campervan bass advice needed.

Joebethell

I'm off on a trip to Europe a bit later in the year in my old VW and I have been looking at the small acoustic/Ubasses to take with me but it seems the market is growning and I'm confused as to which to go for? Kala seem the most established but does anyone have a Shortbass or Ortega or even the countryman basses if so what would you recommend?

I've got a Countryman ubass. The build quality and intonation isn't as good as a Kala, in my opinion, but they're a lot cheaper so you get what you pay for.

Two general things I'll say.

They are very low-volume unplugged, so unless you're happy with that, taking some sort of amplification may be necessary.

The feel of the low-tension rubbery strings is not too everyone's taste.

So, try before you buy is my advice.

I'm in Derby, if it's convinient you're very welcome to come and try mine.

Thanks that's a really kind offer. I may take you up in it after a bit more research I'm hoping some one with the Shortbass one gets intouch as well as they look like they have a bigger body so I'm guessing they are louder?
Can only really find reviews of the Kalas

If you just want something to practice on in a quiet environment on your own a ubass might just fit the bill. However if you are thinking of playing with other musicians you will need a small practice amp to be heard. Even full scale acoustic basses struggle to be heard in a proper acoustic setting with acoustic guitars. The bass guitars in mariachi bands and double basses project decent amounts of bass. I do have a kala ubass and an acoustic bass and both require amplifiers to be heard.