Why become a member? ×

please look at the ebony board on 'new' streamer bass, damaged?

zawinul

After having cleaned the fretboard yesterday I discovered a lot of damage, basically fretboard is full of holes, there are chunks out of it and many cracks along where fretlines are

Should I get:

a new fretboard?
or

a refund?

It cost an arm and a leg and not in the 'excellent condition' I was led to believe, not sure on purpose just neck was so dirty you couldn't tell it was screwed

photos below

sad face

Z

It looks to me as if it's been defretted and filler put into the gaps. Has it got side dots and are they between the fret positions or at the fret positions? If there are dots between the fret positions then it originally had frets. It's ok to have open pores in the surface of a fretboard/fingerboard and light wear from strings isn't a disaster.

If it was bought new from a shop, I would send it back for a replacement. If it was 'as new' but secondhand from a private seller, I would keep it, as long as it was a good player and the damage doesn't affect your ability to play it.

It sounds quite dead in places, and sticks, when you play it, all my other fretless'es you can slide around no problem.... its a very worn neck...

I would keep it if I had got if as a damaged bass for repair, get a new neck for it maybe but its just full of holes like wood worm or smoething, small holes but they are there..... I think the active pick ups mask the sound....

don't know not had a Warwick fretless, photos don't really sow how damaged it really looks, and very dried out, neck hasn't been looked after at all....

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1438017481' post='2830897']
It looks to me as if it's been defretted and filler put into the gaps. Has it got side dots and are they between the fret positions or at the fret positions? If there are dots between the fret positions then it originally had frets. It's ok to have open pores in the surface of a fretboard/fingerboard and light wear from strings isn't a disaster.
[/quote]

side dots are exactly where lines are, so I think its always been a fretless, but do wonder as Wareock dont do lined fretless's as a rule.

ITs full of holes, dents, nicks, etc

It was sold as in 'excellent ' condition, when it clearly isnt, It needs whole neck planing down, or replaceing......

so I've been overcharged or ripped off condition wise I feel....

It doesn;t sound like a £3000 (new price) bass should

That looks like a bad de-fret job to me.

Also, I'd question whether that fingerboard is actually ebony - the open grain looks more like rosewood. I've had lots of basses with Ebony boards & never seen one with an open grain like that.
I've owned quite a few Gretsch guitars & they use something called "Ebonised rosewood", which is basically rosewood stained to make it look more like ebony - that's what that fretboard looks like to me.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1438017481' post='2830897']
It looks to me as if it's been defretted and filler put into the gaps........... It's ok to have open pores in the surface of a fretboard/fingerboard and light wear from strings isn't a disaster.
[/quote]

Agree with this judgement. The string wear appears to be liveable with, if the gaps concern you that much a luthier will be able to fill them with a mix of ebony dust and suitable glue. The other option is a new fingerboard. Warwick replacement necks, sit down and take a sharp intake of breath.

I wouldn't say it was unplayable but thats not the point is it, I spent 1500 big ones on it and should expect a certain quality for that price, and its clearly not in 'excellent' condition, and needs a lot of work to the neck or a new one

ha, the shop where I boughy it said and I quote :

"[color=#000000]Hi - what you see are normal and part of the process of wooden moving over time. The more the play the bass the better as the moisture from your hands will change the way the wood expands and contracts."[/color]

[color=#000000]IS this so much BS [/color][color=#000000]SO i need to play it more to fill the holes with sweat?[/color]

[color=#000000]Seeriusly how can I get my money back from these clowns?[/color]

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1438019782' post='2830940']
If you bought it from a shop, send it back or exchange it.

If you bought it from a dude on the Internet, then caveat emptor! Get it re-planed and use flat wounds on it.
[/quote]

The shop said ' [color=#000000]Hi - what you see are normal and part of the process of wooden moving over time. The more the play the bass the better as the moisture from your hands will change the way the wood expands and contracts.[/color]

[color=#000000]will they give me a refund?[/color]

Write to him and say:

Dear Sir,

I have taken advice on my position on the matter of the condition of the bass and it is not as described and as such you are are in breech of the Trades Descriptions Act 1986 and 1972.

I have also taken advice on the matter of the wood changing as when played. This is also untrue.

Please refund my account without delay for the full value of the sum paid including delivery costs. On receipt of the money I will return the bass at my cost.

I look forward to your response by return as time is of the essence.

Yours....

I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

He's talking cr@p about the wood changing and he'll konw that's all made up. He just hopes that after you've played it a while you'll get to like it a lot.

Edited by Grangur

What the shop has told you is correct, the wood has shrunk and this shows at the fret lines where over time it has moved. The cause is not going to be sweaty hands though!

It's certainly Ebony and I'd put a bet on the fact that the little bits which have been filled were done at the factory when new. The little circle (orangy colour) on your fourth picture is a small knot and nothing to be concerned about. Ebony comes in lots of different grades, some can be surprisingly porous which is probably what the tiny holes you are seeing is. The string wear should have been mentioned in the description, but it's no big deal to fix, neither is repairing the fret line gaps.

Any other concerns?

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1438021762' post='2830969']
What the shop has told you is correct, the wood has shrunk and this shows at the fret lines where over time it has moved. The cause is not going to be sweaty hands though!

It's certainly Ebony and I'd put a bet on the fact that the little bits which have been filled were done at the factory when new. The little circle (orangy colour) on your fourth picture is a small knot and nothing to be concerned about. Ebony comes in lots of different grades, some can be surprisingly porous which is probably what the tiny holes you are seeing is. The string wear should have been mentioned in the description, but it's no big deal to fix, neither is repairing the fret line gaps.

Any other concerns?
[/quote]

Which factory are you refering to? Warwick don't make a lined fretless and I'm sure they would never send out a bass with filled gaps like that. Unless, of course you have come across one?

I found an old advert on Talkbass with someone selling a lined fretless Warwick which they thought must have been a custom shop instrument as they too thought that you couldn't get a stock factory bass with a lined board. Looking at the photo of the instrument in question the lines look a lot neater than the instrument being discussed here (post is here http://www.talkbass.com/threads/1998-warwick-thumb-5-bo-wenge-neck-2004-warwick-corvette-5-lined-fretless-ebony-board.1090837/ if you're curious). To the OP it's possible to have side dots filled and new ones installed when having a neck defretted though I guess you've already had a really good look so would have noticed. As I said earlier the wear on the board doesn't look that bad and would probably disappear after being sanded with a radiused block (I bow to the superior knowledge of luthiers here however). I find that linseed oil tends to fill small pores and it improves the appearance of boards.

I wasn't aware Warwick doesn't make a lined fretless, perhaps it was a custom, or maybe they used to. Or perhaps the lines were retrofitted. It wasn't defretted or there would be obvious marks where the side dots had been filled.

Regarding the filler seen in the last picture I have seen[i] plenty[/i] of high end guitars with similar filler in places. It would also be much less visible if the board was oiled...it's sometimes a case of the closer you look the more you see! Though no, it should not be acceptable on a bass of this price, but it does happen! The gaps which have not been filled around the fret slots look very much like movement where either the Ebony or the veneer has shrunk.

The cost of restoring the board would be minimal (even with a luthier doing the work!)

Edited by Manton Customs

If it left Warwick as it is now ie. A lined ebony fretless you should be able to get confirmation from warwick themselves.
You need to email them (info on their site) and they can tell you how it was originally built.

They did/do make lined fretless basses- I have one, albeit a custom shop order from the 90's.

It's always the risk buying blind so to speak. One mans excellent condition isnt necessarily so.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1438035342' post='2831159']
Ill email Warwick as serial number is on headstock ...see what board is actually made of! Xx
[/quote]

While that's a good idea to confirm if it was made with fretlines or not, you can rest assured that it is 100% definitely Ebony, I work with it every week :). As I mentioned earlier, it would not be an expensive job to have a local luthier restore the board.