Why become a member? ×

Hi from South Wales

RichyJ

Hey guys,

Hope you're all good. I'm fairly new to bass itself, played guitar since I was about 9 (I'm 31 now) but developed osteoarthritis in my thumb about a year back which screws up prolonged chord use. Either way I had a light bulb moment and realised it didn't affect my lead playing and by proxy I could play bass. Hardly touched the guitar since, full on convert now and loving it hehe. Thankfully a lot of the muscle memory was transferable from guitar to bass so the learning curve has been way way way quicker but I also realise it's a totally different instrument so made myself go back to basics and build from there just to get rid of as many bad habits as possible and pick up nice little things that I would have missed if I had done the "Bass is just a guitar with 4 strings" thing I've seen so many times.

As far as musical taste goes, I started out as a pure metal head all those years ago, woke up a bit since then and I'll pretty much listen to anything now. Still mostly blues or rock though. As a rule of thumb I'll call anything a good song as long as it is indeed a good song, regardless of whether it's my taste or not.

I'm currently playing a Peavey Grind BXP (active) through a Warwick BC300. Will be acquiring more as soon as the wife lets me spend again :D .

No stranger to live or studio performing, I'm not really expecting much difference from guitar (as far as live goes) other than I won't be the centre of attention any more :lol: .
Currently in a band that I've been with for about 10 years but I'll likely be packing that in and venturing to greener pastures, still undecided on a project as of yet.

Just found this site a few days ago to be honest had a little read and I liked it. Hopefully I can bring something to the mix.

Anyway I've rambled enough for now, speak soon.

Richy.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1438327718' post='2833518']
Welcome!

I'm another South Wales bassist here! I'm from Neath.

We have meet ups occasionally in Cardiff and Swansea, you'll have to pop to the next one!
[/quote]

Hi,

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for it. Any coming up soon?

[quote name='garbev' timestamp='1438326239' post='2833511']
Maesteg, small world.
[/quote]

Yeah, I lived there for a year or so. Managed to escape though hehe :lol: