Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on small amps for gigs

bassbora

I am looking for an opinion from you guys who are gigging (and from anyone who has thoughts on the topic) amp size and cabs for small gigs.

I play with a group of people 2 acoustic guitar and singers and piano and organ and fiddle (six of us in total). Its not loud and we have only played small venues yet. I am using an old Fender RAD75 and using Warwick Thumb NT 6 fretless. I think the Fender is fine but have had comments that I am not loud enough.

I play in a rock cover band as well and I am using GB Streamliner 600 and Berg AE212 for that but since the other project is not that loud I find that rig a bit of an overkill and maybe a bit of a show of.

What kind of set up are you guys using for small quiet gigs? I was thinking maybe GK MB200 or that small EBS (is it reidmar) with a small cab. Is that too big and should I just stick with the Fender? I am not big on getting extra gear I don't need so any advise/ideas appreciated.

I use a genz shuttle max 12.2 through two genz 1x12s for the big amplified gigs and then take one of the 1x12s and use my mark bass blackline 250 head for the acoustic gigs. I'm plenty load enough in both cases and it's nice and light weight setup

I use a Fender Rumble(V3) 100 combo with a rhythm and blues trio and it's plenty loud enough with more in the tank.

No larger than a normal sized 12" cab and weighs nothing. £239 new too. I've been using mine for about three months now and I'm very happy with it indeed.

Hello,

Here on the North Fork of Long Island, NY, I use a TRAYNOR SB200H head with an EDEN EX110H cabinet.
A Class D amp combined with a lightweight Neo cabinet.

I've used this in a trio (Jazz,Oldies & Acoustic) setting at all types of gigs, It's deceptively powerful and works fine with a drummer , When I need more coverage I switch to a GENZ BENZ 2X12 NEO cabinet.

Less is more, especially when we get a bit older !

[quote name='crabkey' timestamp='1438089130' post='2831531']
Hello,

Here on the North Fork of Long Island, NY, I use a TRAYNOR SB200H head with an EDEN EX110H cabinet.
A Class D amp combined with a lightweight Neo cabinet.

I've used this in a trio (Jazz,Oldies & Acoustic) setting at all types of gigs, It's deceptively powerful and works fine with a drummer , When I need more coverage I switch to a GENZ BENZ 2X12 NEO cabinet.

Less is more, especially when we get a bit older !
[/quote]

Sadly, Traynor gear is seldom available over here. I'd love to try a YBA200.

I use an MB200 / EA wizzy 10 for those kinds of gigs and it has volume to spare. Although if I was buying again I'd maybe be looking at the crazy8 cabs as they seem fairly highly rated and they are tiny.

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1438088363' post='2831519']
rig a bit of an overkill and maybe a bit of a show off
[/quote]

You're using a Thumb NT 6 and you're worried about people thinking your rig makes you look like a show off? I play a sixer too and most people assume your a show off the second you open the gigbag!.. well most musicians that is.. most people in the audience couldn't tell the difference between your bass and a banjo.... :blink:

Many interesting points made here.

The PA is very old which the fiddle player uses for her band. So not sure if I can DI but I could use the Streamliner for that.

Traynor amps look very interesting but I have never seen them over here. MB200 seems to be very interesting and not expensive option and yes I had thought of getting another Berg 12 cab (2 for sale here in Scotland interestingly enough) but I don't think the guy wants to split them and not sure if I actually need another cab.

Best response here was about my overkill rig. Never thought the bass would be the show off. I have been using Warwicks for 20 years so that never even enters my mind. I guess you get few looks when you take out 6 string fretless.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1438093627' post='2831572']
If you really like the sound of the current rig, why not get a Berg 112 and get roughly the same sound but in a less overkill size?
[/quote]

I concur, cant see the point in the OP getting a second amp - just get a smaller speaker to run the streamliner through.

Edited by bassman7755

I use an ABM EB 180 112 combo for small gigs (unless there is a PA I can DI into). Cost me £90 2 or 3 years ago and is dead reliable, sounds pretty good too. I'll be using it tonight when my band is acting as house band at a local open mic night.

For very small acoustic stuff, I use a [url="http://www.ibanez.com/images/contentEntries/2642/promethean/promethean.html"]MK1 Ibanez Promethean[/url]. It's extremely muscular for its size.

For most acoustic stuff I use my [url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153030153921322&l=ea188dcdd5"]Mesa Walkabout into a TKS S112[/url]. That copes with most stuff, even (good) drummers.

Sometimes for acoustic stuff (like tonight, as it happens), if the venue is large but the PA isn't totin' subs, I'll swap the S112 for a S212. That's not very often, though.

My thoughts on using small amps? I used my regular amp (550 watts) into a Berg AE112 for acoustic duo gigs and added a second AE112 for most of the other bands.

For me the issue with quiet gigs is that the bass stands out more so has to sound better at lower volume. As good as you can make it. That's why I'll always use my best gear and just turn the volume down.

If you've just won the lottery you could look at the AER Amp One, but, being sensible, if I couldn't find a good 112 I'd happily use your amp and the AE212. That would not be a problem for me because the sound would be top quality.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438103468' post='2831684']
That's why I'll always use my best gear and just turn the volume down.

[/quote]

And that's pretty much it - you don't need another rig, and nobody will be looking at the bass rig anyway. Enjoy what you've got. :)

+1. Already been said but I'd just use the Genz and Berg you already have if it was me. Hardly classifies as physically huge - same stage footprint as most smaller combos, even if it is tall. And the Genz features one of those magical volume controls I hear so much about nowadays! ;-p

Edited by Bigwan

My band plays a wide variety of venues from very small bars / pubs, right through to marquees etc.

I have 2 Barefaced supercompacts and dependent on venue size I either use one or both of them with the same amp (PUMA500), works well for me.

So yeah, you could either look at trading/px'ing your 2x12 for two 1x12s or just get a second smaller cab and use with your Streamliner.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1438088363' post='2831519']
I play in a rock cover band as well and I am using GB Streamliner 600 and Berg AE212 for that but since the other project is not that loud I find that rig a bit of an overkill and maybe a bit of a show of.

[/quote]

Although i know what you mean doesn't owning one rig per band seem a a bit of a show off as well ;-)

If the above rig can cover two gigs, and lets face it its not a big rig, then why spend money on a second rig?

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1438331368' post='2833554']
Thanks guys. I think I might look for a small cab but use the Streamliner. No point getting more gear when both I don't want to and don't need to. I am one for keeping it simple.
[/quote]

Exactly. I can see the point of a smaller cab if you really dont need or have the space for anything larger, but, you already have a cab that will get you heard, so again......

If space isn't an issue & you like the sound you get from your current rig, then why would you not want to use it.
If space is the issue, then a 1x12 of the cab you have isn't any smaller a footprint, it just means your amp sits lower down, so you might want to consider a small 2x10 (something in the ilk of the MarkBass Traveller maybe).

I'd defniitely support the "keep the rig, but just turn it down" approach. I always prefer playing through a bigger rig, even when quiet, as there's more bottom end to the sound - which can make a huge difference to the whole result when playing with others.

Though I'd also agree that it would be great if you had 2 12" cabs, rather than the 2x12 that you have, which would give flexibility. But, on the other hand, it's more boxes, and a little more hassle to transport & set up.

My rig is RH450s with Genz 2x12 and 10 cabs. 2x12 for pretty much everything, 10 for home practice, taking round for easy practice, and *very* small gigs. It's got the volume, and is great, but can't stand up to the bigger cab.