Why become a member? ×

Online shops for strings

bassbora

I always use Strings Direct. Not sure if they're the cheapest, but their service is excellent, super fast delivery.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34[/url]

I usually get my strings from A-Strings near Pontypridd in South Wales

I hear their online prices are pretty good (in fact, they started with an on-line only shop in Cardiff)
But as I live quite close by, and their in-shop prices a great, I pop by and buy them over the counter
... and they always kindly offer me tea or coffee too :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1438089416' post='2831536']
Agreed, Strings Direct are very quick and have plenty to choose from. I just bought a case from them (bad timing, Mr. Discreet!) and that was delivered within a couple of days as well.
[/quote]

Sorry about that Dave... In future I'll drop you a PM before I sell anything... :D

I use either Strings Direct or Thomann. Depends on who's cheapest after factoring in the postage etc.

However, Thomann seem to be winning, as even with the postage factored in, they're still cheapest, as most UK based online shops seem to consider that the UK Mainland stops just north of Perth, and the rest of Scotland is a massive cluster of tiny islands serviced by rowing boats piloted by Para Handy.

Thanks for all your replies. Specially to Skybone because I live 10 miles north of Perth. I found the strings as suggested here cheaper on amazon than strings direct but then Thoman came out cheapest.

Thanks guys for all you replies. BC shows its magic again.

Quick question, I use D'addario on my fretted basses but I have La Bella on my fretless. Why are La Bella strings so much more expensive?

On most online shopping sites, I always check the postage costs, as most use couriers, and there usually tends to be at least a £10 surcharge on top of what you're buying for postage to the Highlands, even when they claim to offer Free Postage. Mainly because, although most courier companies have bases around the main towns, and a distribution network, they sub-contract out the domestic deliveries to a local firm. Great for them, but a complete PITA for the rest of us.

Been looking at buying a new cab recently, and it's actually cheaper to buy it from Germany than from the UK. How daft is that? I was quoted £40 postage on top of the cab from a UK dealership recently.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1438103418' post='2831682']
I think there's a Basschatter who runs an online string business. but I cant remember who!
[/quote]

:lol:

Here's the topic in the 'Affiliates' section...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248119-stringpingcom-special-offer-for-bc-members/"]String Ping ...[/url]

Doesn't hurt to promote a fellow BCer's efforts, methinks. B)