Why become a member? ×

Octaver

mfisher91

I know there has been many posts on this before, but having been through them I'm still not sure what to go for! I've never been into using effects, but the only effect I've ever enjoyed using was the built in Ashdown octave thing in my old combo. Now I've moved to MarkBass, I'm thinking about buying a seperate octaver. I'm only looking to spend ~£50, so probably looking at second hand.

What I want from the pedal:

- Easy to set up and remember your last setting
- The ability to use as a synth type thing, again easy to set up and not getting in the way of switching back to the octave setting
- Mainly just want a nice octave sound.

Do yourself a favour and buy a Boss OC2 (not the OC3). You'll be able to find a second-hand Taiwan version for around £60 I reckon.
Simple pedal, awesome octave sound, classic synth sound when you take out the direct signal.

Sorted :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1438096648' post='2831602']
Do yourself a favour and buy a Boss OC2 (not the OC3). You'll be able to find a second-hand Taiwan version for around £60 I reckon.
Simple pedal, awesome octave sound, classic synth sound when you take out the direct signal.

Sorted :)

Si
[/quote]

/thread ;)

I've had EHX, EBS, MXR etc… octave pedals, and I always end up coming back to the humble OC2. Greatest invention of the modern age.

Edited by paul_5

The Chord OC-50 (or is it OC-80... can't remember) is a great wee octave. It's a boss octave clone I believe, but has an extra "drive" switch (turns off the -2 octave) which sounds quite synthy. Mine tracked really well down to a sustained F# which surprised me - most give up at A in my experience! Sold it for tuppence... idiot...

I have an EHX Octave Multiplexer which is a nice sounding octave on a budget (i think it sounds nicer than the oc2 derivatives myself) but it doesn't track as well.

I have the COG T65 too. Again loosely oc2 based but with a +1 octave instead of a -2 and a tone control on the -1 octave similar to the Aguilar Octamizer. It's part of a double effect with a Mastotron-type fuzz, but that's a different price point altogether. Sounds inhuman though! Dirty synthy either with or without the fuzz.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1438109563' post='2831761']
The Chord OC-50 (or is it OC-80... can't remember) is a great wee octave. It's a boss octave clone I believe, but has an extra "drive" switch (turns off the -2 octave) which sounds quite synthy. Mine tracked really well down to a sustained F# which surprised me - most give up at A in my experience! Sold it for tuppence... idiot...

I have an EHX Octave Multiplexer which is a nice sounding octave on a budget (i think it sounds nicer than the oc2 derivatives myself) but it doesn't track as well.

I have the COG T65 too. Again loosely oc2 based but with a +1 octave instead of a -2 and a tone control on the -1 octave similar to the Aguilar Octamizer. It's part of a double effect with a Mastotron-type fuzz, but that's a different price point altogether. Sounds inhuman though! Dirty synthy either with or without the fuzz.
[/quote]

I picked up a Chord OC50 for £20 delivered off here. Great pedal - nails the OC2 sound and seems to be well put together. Mine tracks down to F# on one of my basses and A on the rest of them (which is still pretty good!)

Edited by Rikki1984

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1438115981' post='2831853']

I picked up a Chord OC50 for £20 delivered off here. Great pedal - nails the OC2 sound and seems to be well put together. Mine tracks down to F# on one of my basses and A on the rest of them (which which is still pretty good!)
[/quote]

May have been mine! Great wee pedals. I have the chord version of the odb3 too which I have the Monte Allums mods to go into when I get the chance!

I need to try a Chord, it would surprise me if it truly nails the OC-2 if the 3Leaf Octavbre couldn't :)
In any case, you could buy a Chord, you'll eventually just wish you had the brown pedal of joy instead though lol

Si

I would agree about the OC-2, its a great pedal and if you can afford one get it.

I for one don't mind the OC-3. :ph34r:

As I always say in these Octave threads, try a DOD Octaplus. They're cheap on the Bay and have decent analogue octave down with a tone control.

The Black Label EBS Octabass is worth a look and I would imagine in budget 2nd hand. Quite different to the OC-2 in character, but very clean and easy to dial in.

Edited by NoirBass

The OC3 is fine, it's just not as good as the OC2 :)
The Octoplus does a really good impression of the OC-2, but it still lacks some ooompf and also the footswitch is horrible (like all the old DODs).
I'm hoping that after the recent DOD push to reissue, we'll get the Octoplus again, as well as the FX-25B without the volume drop issue, that would make me very happy!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1438124978' post='2831967']
I need to try a Chord, it would surprise me if it truly nails the OC-2 if the 3Leaf Octavbre couldn't :)
In any case, you could buy a Chord, you'll eventually just wish you had the brown pedal of joy instead though lol

Si
[/quote]

I had one for ages and loved it. Really nailed the OC2 sound. Yes, eventually I went back to the brown pedal of joy (well, made one), but the Chord is the closest I've had to an actual OC2, despite only costing peanuts.

here's a clip of the MXR M88 octave pedal (not the deluxe version).

https://youtu.be/VQK4vFErHF0

From my experience it tracks well with most basses, and is easy to use. It doesn't do that synth sound that the OC2 is so good at, but if you're looking to just add an octave underneath what you're playing, it will do a good job.

Mine's for sale in the FX for sale section...

I used an OC2 all through my college years and for a few years after turning pro. after mine was stolen on a cruise I went to various multi fx unjts and couldnt get the right sound. I then tried the EBS, Aguilar octamiser (loved both of these pedals) but still didnt get the synthy tones I was getting doing maddona and spice girls stuff at the holiday parks with my old OC2, I even had an OC3 for a time and it still wasnt right, although I thought it tracked very well. About a year and a half ago I got another OC2, and the minute I switched it on I had my old sound back, very happy and I wont be without t again, although I would like to supplement it with another aguilar though. Oh and I bought a DIgitech BSW a couple of weeks ago to try the synths and was very pleasantly surprised by the clean octave setting. :)