Why become a member? ×

Extended Range Bassists

ARGH

[quote name='binky_bass' post='31765' date='Jul 14 2007, 02:29 PM']gregory bruce campbells a good ER player too, more slap orientaited tho.[/quote]

i like john campbell better myself :)

[quote name='endorka' post='31019' date='Jul 13 2007, 12:08 AM']I did a gig once with a 7 string guitar guy - we were tearing up funk and jazz standards like "Have You Met Miss Jones" and "Nardis", total shred style. It were great.

Jennifer[/quote]

yeah guitars are really quite pathetic when it comes to extended range options. i mean ibanez have only just brought out the first ever production (proper) 8 string guitar. i suppose guitarrists only really need to chug out some riff or p/c tho so they don't really need as much range.

personally i play a 5 string which i suppose is technically an ERB but it's not really anything special.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='ARGH' post='28527' date='Jul 8 2007, 10:39 AM']Al Caldwell,11 and 9 Stringer (MIDI user) Gospel guy.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wZbDfkiEYLA"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wZbDfkiEYLA[/url][/quote]

Dare I say it but to ME it sounds a bit, no a lot like a geetar? :) Obviously has a problem with sypmathetic vibration also, hence the scrunchie?

[quote name='endorka' post='31019' date='Jul 13 2007, 12:08 AM']I did a gig once with a 7 string guitar guy - we were tearing up funk and jazz standards like "Have You Met Miss Jones" and "Nardis", total shred style. It were great.

Jennifer[/quote]

I've done a jazz gig with a 7 string guitarist - very weird having walking bass suddenly appear under your bass solo :)

Speaking of extended range guitarists, there is a 12 string ( all single strings, no double courses) in Guitar Player this month. Mad!

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='31867' date='Jul 14 2007, 06:23 PM']I've done a jazz gig with a 7 string guitarist - very weird having walking bass suddenly appear under your bass solo :)[/quote]

I've had that happen to me too, although with a regular 6 string guitarist. On the whole I don't like it, as I find it very difficult to find a register on the bass that allows me to "speak" over the guitar when it is doing this, even on a 6 string bass. If you solo above the 12th fret, you are likely in a similar range to the walking guitarist, so welcome to the world of semitone clashes and general mud. If you go below the 12th fret, you will be reduced to an indistinct rumble and the guitar will predominate no matter what you do.

I get quite fussy about what people do to accompany my bass solos... it is so easy for another instrument to steal the show from the bass, so IMHO quiet and understated accompaniment, at least to start with until they figure out the direction you are taking, is the thing.

I have been advised in the past to go the route of the volume pedal, but I don't really want to. Another mouth to feed and all that.

[quote]Speaking of extended range guitarists, there is a 12 string ( all single strings, no double courses) in Guitar Player this month. Mad![/quote]

Can you remember how it was tuned?

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk"]http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk[/url]

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='endorka' post='31969' date='Jul 15 2007, 01:44 AM']I've had that happen to me too, although with a regular 6 string guitarist. On the whole I don't like it, as I find it very difficult to find a register on the bass that allows me to "speak" over the guitar when it is doing this, even on a 6 string bass. If you solo above the 12th fret, you are likely in a similar range to the walking guitarist, so welcome to the world of semitone clashes and general mud. If you go below the 12th fret, you will be reduced to an indistinct rumble and the guitar will predominate no matter what you do.

I get quite fussy about what people do to accompany my bass solos... it is so easy for another instrument to steal the show from the bass, so IMHO quiet and understated accompaniment, at least to start with until they figure out the direction you are taking, is the thing.

I have been advised in the past to go the route of the volume pedal, but I don't really want to. Another mouth to feed and all that.
Can you remember how it was tuned?

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk"]http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk[/url][/quote]

So, to cut to the chase Endorka your saying a 4 string bass mainly does the job :0)

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='31972' date='Jul 15 2007, 01:59 AM']So, to cut to the chase Endorka your saying a 4 string bass mainly does the job :0)[/quote]

Hehehe, it is something I have a kindof "split brain" thing about. I can gig fine with a four string bass, indeed I have done so for the last 5 months or so since getting my EUB, which only has the four standard strings. It works just great for walking basslines, funk and whatnot. With the added depth of the notes produced by the EUB versus a bass guitar, I don't really miss the low B string. I do however miss the high range of the six string for soloing though, it has to be said, and a six string tuned E A D G C F is a very effective way of dealing with the issues I mentioned in the previous post... just watch the jaws drop as you hit that F an octave and a half above middle C.

Jennifer

Hi Jen, for some reason I can't quote your post soo...
Backing for bass solos - I know what you mean. The "walking bass" guitar wasn't too bad with a 7 string as he had a low A and I was using a 6 string so we could stay out of each others ways. I have had to play with keyboard players who feel the need to play bass at all times which can be hard going. I agree with the light accompaniment theory. There's nothing worse than the whole band stopping - I always end up playing too much to fill in the space in those cases.

The 12 string guitar - can't find the tuning but found the player's website - www.brycejacobs.com Looking it at, it looks like it could be two sets of "normal" tunings, not sure. The quoted range is only 5 octaves ( with two POGS to extend it to 7), which is only one more than a regular 24 fret six string. I assume the advantage is that you'd be able to play closer voiced chords.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='32083' date='Jul 15 2007, 02:50 PM']There's nothing worse than the whole band stopping[/quote]

I dunno... while I'd prefer to have some light accompaniment, I prefer no accompaniment to an overpowering one. It can be a bit disconcerting to be swinging full pelt with the whole band at triple f, then all of a sudden you are on your own in a jazz club in total silence with 100 punters watching you, and you somehow have to follow all that has gone before. Quite often my response is to deconstruct the whole thing and make use of the silence by playing very sparsely and quietly, maybe even a bit slower, and then graudually build on this. It's a tough call, but I don't think you can follow the full band in this situation by trying to play more of the same.

Am going to check out this 12 string guitar thing...

Jennifer