Why become a member? ×

Dear deirde ,Help ,I have a serious bass problem

kevvo66

Dear deirde , I mean bass chat ,How many is to many basses ,I'm upto eight ,granted two are in bits for restoration ,couple nice yams and the others I can't even remember half of them , I just buy them and don't even play them ,do i need counciling or something

I've gone the other way... :blink:

I've gone from a collection of 6 or 7 down to two... one fretted and one fretless. I've also ditched the pedals in favour of bass-cable-amp and I'm intending on cutting my rig down to a single cab. I'm on a mission to streamline my gear down to the best quality I can afford and the least superfluous crap as possible... I've even gone to a clip on tuner.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438157818' post='2832061']
I've gone the other way... :blink:

I've gone from a collection of 6 or 7 down to two... one fretted and one fretless. I've also ditched the pedals in favour of bass-cable-amp and I'm intending on cutting my rig down to a single cab. I'm on a mission to streamline my gear down to the best quality I can afford and the least superfluous crap as possible... I've even gone to a clip on tuner.
[/quote]

Cough, what about the Harley Benton then......? :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438158553' post='2832066']
You mean you're... 'on the other bus'?? PM sent. :D
[/quote]

I did think that sounded a little suspect when I wrote it :blink:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1438158411' post='2832065']
Cough, what about the Harley Benton then......? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

The HB is intended for a friend of Mrs Cs who currently finds himself bassless... I would be happy to keep it though, it's really quite good :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438159016' post='2832071']
I did think that sounded a little suspect when I wrote it :blink:

The HB is intended for a friend of Mrs Cs who currently finds himself bassless... I would be happy to keep it though, it's really quite good :blink:
[/quote]

Ah yes, you did mention that but I thought it may be a euphemism!

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1438110482' post='2831771']
Dear deirde , I mean bass chat ,How many is to many basses ,I'm upto eight ,granted two are in bits for restoration ,couple nice yams and the others I can't even remember half of them , I just buy them and don't even play them ,do i need counciling or something
[/quote]

Joking aside, if you don't play them and you don't have any other good reason to keep hold of them (sentimental value, or you have something that's rocking-horse-poo rare and you're keeping it as an investment) then just get rid of them. The fact that you can't even remember what they are half the time definitely makes me think you should get rid.

It'll bring in funds and save space for something you would actually use. :)

I've got all my gigs covered with all my kit.

Might streamline and sell and amp or two, but will A/B them over the next few weeks/months.
Basically I have them because I need them..oh and want comes into it a bit, but I'm not too sentimental.

If I was I'd have my first bass still..and I saw one going for £2900 the other day..for a 70's Jazz..!!! It was a crap bass then and
always will be.. :lol: :lol::

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438163151' post='2832124']
Won't they get dusty? :huh:
[/quote]

They all get treated fairly ... I have to pick one from the wall when i practice ... usually on a day rotation .... not to sure about my latest 5 string i think i'm a 4 kinda guy.

The only exception you count the B*s*ard stepchild Aria CAT which lives in a case under the sofa :-P and while not being a bad player is of greater sentimental value than financial worth selling but i've outgrown.

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1438170181' post='2832206']
Thanks uncle ,i am seriously considering getting rid
[/quote]
I had 9 at one point and I hated it. It just became a distraction, leading me in the wrong direction.

Now I've got 1 electric bass, 1 double bass and 1 amp that suits them both. Needless to say I'm spending my bass-time more constructively now.

I would say it's not so much 'less is more' but more like 'undiluted'

Me too - is there ever an end to it?

Currently I own and can justify the following:

- 4 String Jazz fretted with rounds
- 4 String Jazz fretted with flats
- 4 String P/J fretless with rounds
- 4 String Precision with flats
- 4 String Stingray

Hankering after a 5 string Stingray now too! Jah help us all.