Why become a member? ×

Please god, no! Setlists

Nicko

I think the thread title should say it all.

I'll start with Lenny Kravitz Are you Gonna Go My Way. Its dull, dull, dull, yawn until you get to the bass under the guitar solo is just free form jazz crap, and then there's that tricky bass and drum fill after the solo that a b***ard to get the timing right. And then it ends. And I don't even like the song much.

I just left this out of our proposed set list for the weekend - but I expect the [s]walking ego[/s] guitarist will want it back in.

Its one of those songs that is usually only in the set list for a guitarists benefit. That's a guitarist who is stuck in the past and hasn't noticed it's well past it's prime as a song. I hate playing stuff like that unless the drummer is tight so you can really nail the fill and have some fun in the solo. It's far from Lenny Kravitz's best work. Always On The Run or Fields Of Joy are way better to play but none are floorfillers.

I would far rather play Are you gonna go my way than Teenage Kicks. At least there's something interesting in it. Teenage Kicks is one of the worst songs I've ever had to play. Utter crap. (Apologies to any fans of the song/band, I just think it's terrible and simplistic and had to play it for a couple of years in a band where it was one of the only songs one of the people in it could sing, so we had to keep it in the set whilst he was in the band).

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1438185817' post='2832380']
I would far rather play Are you gonna go my way than Teenage Kicks.
[/quote]

I would rather play almost anything than Teenage Kicks. The things stopping it being anything are Mary Janes Last Dance and Ever Fallen in love (the last one I always get confused with Teenage Kicks).

Which is a shame really as they are all in our setlist. Oh well, at least I kicked Dakota out!

-- But yes, the crowd likes it.

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438213182' post='2832669']
I'm not a Lenny fan. He's nothing more than a poser.

Blue
[/quote]

First album was amazing imo , after that its not really done anything for me.

Did my time playing "are you gonna ..." just like every other must do cover such as "sex on fire" etc, but thankfully I'm now in a band that avoids these things, I wont knock them though

Edited by lojo

Our set lists are now compiled with a view to confusing the bass player as little as possible. A few weeks ago we did a gig where we had Valerie (the Amy Winehouse version: fret a D# and play duh-du-duh-du-du) and You Can't Hurry Love (fret a Bb and play du-du-duh, du-du-du-duh) in the same set. You can work out what happened for yourselves...

We play AYGGMW, and it seems to go down quite well. I don't mind playing that, it bloody Highway to bloody Hell that bores the living $hit out of me. Eff all in the verses, so I have to stand there like a pork pie at a vegan wedding,then plodding quarter notes in the chorus. Hate it with a passion. Complete and utter rubbish.

Used to play it in a band around 2004 or so for a couple of years. Quite enjoyed learning it, the middle section in particular. Never played it since. Always seemed to go down well, we had a singer who was a good guitarist and a lead guitarist who was even better. They had that dual gtr sound down to a tee.