Why become a member? ×

Please god, no! Setlists

Nicko

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1438352527' post='2833843']
Used to play it in a band around 2004 or so for a couple of years. Quite enjoyed learning it, the middle section in particular. Never played it since. Always seemed to go down well, we had a singer who was a good guitarist and a lead guitarist who was even better. They had that dual gtr sound down to a tee.
[/quote]Wow...change 2004 to 2001 and I could've written this exact same post :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438193909' post='2832473']
Picking songs for a set list and making it flow is quite an art and skill ...much ignored, IMO.

Many bands just pick their favourite songs and try and play them. It just about works down the pub and that is the end of it.
[/quote]

This.

I've quit bands where the guitarists picks the set based around his favourites and then puts them in the order he wants so he can change guitars lots. Building a great set list is an art. Putting that set list in an order that keeps people interested and peaks in all the right places is also an art.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1438186517' post='2832392']
That's odd: we have it in our set, and it gets folk up for the second set just fine... :blink:
[/quote]

yeah, not all that interesting to play but generally works for the punters! Songs like that I tend o just enjoy the crowd enjoying the song rather than the playing per se.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1438351712' post='2833821']
We play AYGGMW, and it seems to go down quite well. I don't mind playing that, it bloody Highway to bloody Hell that bores the living $hit out of me. Eff all in the verses, so I have to stand there like a pork pie at a vegan wedding,then plodding quarter notes in the chorus. Hate it with a passion. Complete and utter rubbish.
[/quote]

True, again though, it's a decent song people react well to. Anyway, unless you're in a tribute act you can bring your own style to it a bit - if you can do that without completely effing the song up then you're golden.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1438176043' post='2832280']
Its one of those songs that is usually only in the set list for a guitarists benefit. That's a guitarist who is stuck in the past and hasn't noticed it's well past it's prime as a song.
[/quote]

That comment applies to [s]an awful lot of setlists[/s] a lot of awful setlists.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1438351712' post='2833821']
We play AYGGMW, and it seems to go down quite well. I don't mind playing that, it bloody Highway to bloody Hell that bores the living $hit out of me. Eff all in the verses, so I have to stand there like a pork pie at a vegan wedding,then plodding quarter notes in the chorus. Hate it with a passion. Complete and utter rubbish.
[/quote]

It's not obligatory to stand doing nothing in the verse to HtH. I use it to reprise my younger rock disco days - dip twice with the left shoulder, arch back and swing right-left then dip right shoulder twice etc.