Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

[size=4][font=Arial]I have notices over the past year that generational issues come up and make for a lot of confusing discussion and misunderstandings.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]For some of us, ok me. I was 9 or 10 years old when i saw The Beatles perform to 70 million Yanks on February 9th, 1964. We heard and saw something completely new that made all the sense in the world at the right age. That Monday February 10th, 1964, millions of parents including mine went out and bought drums, and electric basses and key boards for a whole generation of "baby boomers". And Garage bands could be heard from every street corner.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]When we heard the beat, saw the hair, the cool clothes and how women reacted, many of us new what we wanted to do with our lives. A few weeks later we all went out to see the United Artist feature film "A Hard Days Night". That only made what I wanted to do even clearer.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]My point, some of us were just born at a time that gave us wisdom and a perspective on rock that future generations would not have. I am certain it's why I'm gigging more than ever at 61 and that the same magic is there for me that was there 50 years ago.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]But that's just me.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]Much Respect[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Arial]Blue[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

I am envious of you Blue. Not only have you made a career of being a musician, but you can remember a time (I mean this in a nice way!) when it all still lay ahead for music, while the Beatles set the stage from which to launch, there were EPIC bands that followed.
My formative years (mid teens) saw the (in my humble opinion) pinnacle of the industry reached, with album sales and album production quality reaching never seen before levels (and shed loads of cash to go with it) I am referring to the early 90's. Since then we have seen a steady decline in both the quality and quantity of new artist come through, and just wonder what lays ahead for us? I know I can keep playing the stuff I know and love for my remaining years, but I would love to be stopped dead in my tracks by a new artist bringing something new to market.

I think the internet age is the new Golden age of music, and the that level of quality and experimentation in music has never been higher, Time marches on, art in tow, but the Beatles really started a phenomenon in the 60s', I still feel their effect even if most of their music doesn't resonate with me.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1438204992' post='2832595']
I am envious of you Blue. Not only have you made a career of being a musician, but you can remember a time (I mean this in a nice way!) when it all still lay ahead for music, while the Beatles set the stage from which to launch, there were EPIC bands that followed.
My formative years (mid teens) saw the (in my humble opinion) pinnacle of the industry reached, with album sales and album production quality reaching never seen before levels (and shed loads of cash to go with it) I am referring to the early 90's. Since then we have seen a steady decline in both the quality and quantity of new artist come through, and just wonder what lays ahead for us? I know I can keep playing the stuff I know and love for my remaining years, but I would love to be stopped dead in my tracks by a new artist bringing something new to market.
[/quote]

Not that the business was ever really great for musicians. I'm pretty insightful and know that even The Beatles and The Stones got "played" by the business. However the reason we will never see icons like James Brown, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin ect.. because at least back then record companies spent time and money to develop those artist. That doesn't happen any more.

Blue

[quote name='TheKcrimsonKing' timestamp='1438205599' post='2832602']
I think the internet age is the new Golden age of music, and the that level of quality and experimentation in music has never been higher, Time marches on, art in tow, but the Beatles really started a phenomenon in the 60s', I still feel their effect even if most of their music doesn't resonate with me.
[/quote]

If you hear the sound of an electric guitar your hearing The Beatles in one way or the other.

I always say, if you were not 9 to maybe 12 years old in 1964, you probable missed The Beatles phenomenon.

Blue

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1438210264' post='2832649']
I thought the Hard days night film was boringly awful. Nice tunes though. :)
[/quote]

It's considered a work of art by many historians and movie critics. If you think it was awful it just means you didn't get it.

Blue.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438210594' post='2832654']
It's considered a work of art by many historians and movie critics. If you think it was awful it just means you didn't get it.

Blue.
[/quote]

No it was the old bloke from Steptoe and son that ruined it for me. :mellow:

Edited by Hobbayne

I have a 54 year old brother. If he were to watch "A Hard Days Night", he would not have a clue about what he was watching or what it represents.

Like I say in the thread title being 9 or 10 years old in 1964 in some ways is a curse. Were were in tune to something so unique, so historical and magical it's really impossible to explain or convince outsiders.

Here's a question for you older chaps who are fans;

Going back to 1964, do you think their message was bigger here in the States than in England?

Keep in mind, we were really down in the dumps. Kennedy had been assassinated, a mere 3-4 months before The Beatles arrived here. We needed a ray of sun shine. John, Paul, George and Ringo delivered.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438211972' post='2832662']
Here's a question for you older chaps who are fans;

Going back to 1964, do you think their message was bigger here in the States than in England?
[/quote]

I am not old enough, and not a fan, but I think if the question is specifically '64, then the message was probably bigger in the states, because 64 was a continuation here, but including '63, their message was probably a lot bigger here, because as bad as you may feel you had it in the states at the time, it was a hell of a lot worse in the UK!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1438213104' post='2832668']
I am not old enough, and not a fan, but I think if the question is specifically '64, then the message was probably bigger in the states, because 64 was a continuation here, but including '63, their message was probably a lot bigger here, because as bad as you may feel you had it in the states at the time, it was a hell of a lot worse in the UK!
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have been more specific, chaps over 60. Not saying your wrong though.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438218093' post='2832683']
Sorry, I should have been more specific, chaps over 60. Not saying your wrong though.
[/quote]

You were perfectly clear, as I said, I am not old enough, but I know quite a lot of obsessive beatles fans who are.

But thinking about it, maybe it had a bigger impact in the states, because in the UK, although it had a huge impact, it was a continuation of quite a bit of guitar based music, and thinking of the mid 60s who I know who are constantly gigging, although they love the beatles, they tend to be more shadows fans and some of the other mersey groups.

Many autobiographies from that generation of UK artists tell a similar story of growing up in the 50's and 60's, (I've just read Bill Wyman's). Their experience, in many ways, reflects mine. Post WWII Britain was a grey, austere place, money was short, food and fuel rationing, and the shops were bare. Just 2 BBC radio stations and Radio Luxemburg. The questioning of authority was quite daring and teenagers were not yet invented.

From Great Britain's and the Commonwealth's world dominance at the turn of the century, WWI and then WWII brought us to our knees and I have so much respect for my Father and his generation. I only played amongst the aftermath on the bombsites.

Some interesting facts here on the UK and USA that sets the picture: [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_Kingdom"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_Kingdom[/url]

The Beatles were a breath of fresh air. Their music and irreverence inspired many.

Since retiring I've had the time to read quite a few biographies of artists from the sixties and many share a common theme. Elvis's 2 by Albert Goldman are very well researched and the various Beatles's are well worth a read. Another eye-opener is "Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay" by Simon Napier-Smith.

The music you grow up with as a teenager is always precious as it shares so many formative moments and special times. Those of us who grew up with the Beatles, and their peers, feel we had the best of times. I do.

Napier-Bell?

Yes, there were good guitar-based groups around and also TV pop programmes to promote the music - Six FiveSpecial, Oh Boy etc. But the Beatles effect on the scene and the national psyche was immense. Their early music and lyrics were accessible and appealed across the generations. Even the jazzers who had eschewed any sort of pop music were beginning to take note and incorporate Beatles stuff into their sets, mainly because the tunes' formats and chord sequences followed those of the 'standards' that had formed the backbone of the Jazz repertoire. Ella recorded a seminal version of Can't Buy Me Love. The latest Beatles recording was eagerly awaited and, of course, the song rushed to the No1 position.

Also, the boys made themselves accessible to live radio - yes, actually live playing in the studio where their songs were followed by witty repartee, mainly from John Lennon. Example, 'are you mods or rockers?' 'We're mockers'

And everyone adopted their dress style, collarless jackets, button down or tab collar shirts (we all wore ties in those days), slim trousers and Cuban heeled winkle picker boots. Heady days!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438198454' post='2832518']
[size=4][font=Arial]My point, some of us were just born at a time that gave us wisdom and a perspective on rock that future generations would not have.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Alternatively, it means you're older and more opinionated.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1438245557' post='2832778']
Alternatively, it means you're older and more opinionated.
[/quote]

Perspective - yes. Wisdom - hopefully!

Older - yes. Opinionated - well maybe. Stubborn - sometimes.

I was 13 in 1964, it wasn't just the beatles for me but the whole music thing that was happening. My partner Kaz is from Leigh, between Manchester & Liverpool - she was only 9 in '64 but the North/South music scene was very different.

'64 there were 4 or 5 of us from the same neck of the woods, all playing 6 string acoustic guitars, all practising the Shadows walk, learning everything we heard as quick as we could so we could get 'out there'.

My dad helped me make my first bass, a copy of the Vox Teardrops the stones were seen with, but that was because it was a simple shape to make, not because I was a huge stones fan.

Personally I feel influences were very much bigger & widespread than just one group, it was one big ol' melting pot of bands we all know so well now.

I'm jealous of that era.

I grew up with Nirvana/alternative grunge and punk and the Brit pop scene.

Whilst both were great, and I've not seen anything similar to a full wave of bands like that for a long time, I envy anyone who was alive and enjoyed/got involved with The Beatles.

Every band I listen to has the Beatles in them, somewhere.

I lived near Liverpool briefly (and I'm still only 30-40 mins away in the car) and I can honestly say I love it. The city feels alive with music and The Beatles made that place such an exciting place then and now.

I'm not quite sure what you mean if you were older than 12 you missed the Beatles, and then imply that that was the only time when you could become truly inspired.

Theres plenty of people whe were born before and after that have got plenty of inspiration from other places and bands. If you'd been born say 10 years later you'd have been inspired by something else (probably punk if you were in the UK).

Quite frankly I missed them and as we've discussed before I just dont get them.

I read Blue's point as, if you experienced what went before then your perspective on the Beatles era (and what has followed) could be very different from later generations. I'd agree with that.

The Beatles were the spearhead. They enabled many careers and ended many more. They didn't just gently open the door, they caused a seismic earthquake and blew it off it's hinges.

If you think they're only songs you don't appreciate what happened, but why would you. You weren't there to see it. Anyone caught up and changed at that point could easily feel very different about most parts of our subsequent culture, even to this day.