Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438249776' post='2832838']
I read Blue's point as, if you experienced what went before then your perspective on the Beatles era (and what has followed) could be very different from later generations. I'd agree with that.

The Beatles were the spearhead. They enabled many careers and ended many more. They didn't just gently open the door, they caused a seismic earthquake and blew it off it's hinges.

If you think they're only songs you don't appreciate what happened, but why would you. You weren't there to see it. Anyone caught up and changed at that point could easily feel very different about most parts of our subsequent culture, even to this day.
[/quote]

Well the thread started with

[size=4][font=Arial]"My point, some of us were just born at a time that gave us wisdom and a perspective on rock that future generations would not have."[/font][/size]

I'll accept that the perspective may be different, but not that somehow this is a better perspective or that there is more wisdom.

I don't think so.

My dad was 25 in 1964. He had been playing in bands since the 50s. Mainly piano based trios but there was rock'n'roll before the Beatles came along.

The Beatles were just very cleverly marketed.

A lot of music existed before The Beatles and some of it fed into what was to come but most of it did not. But as I say, the impact felt from 1963/4 onwards was life changing for most of us. If you didn't experience the "before", then the "after" would have a totally different meaning.

I think you'll find that The Beatles were hardly marketed at all, clever or otherwise. Beatles marketing was largely a ramshackle and uncontrolled attempt to manage the avalanche of interest, that they never really got to grips with.

Brian Epstein was so far out of his depth that they lost most of the money they could have earned. When the first Americans arrived to discuss selling the Beatles in the US Epstein insisted that they wouldn't take less than 7 1/2% on everything. The Americans were going to start negotiations at 30% and go up from there.

Edited by chris_b

I used to hate The Beatles for being unbelievably overrated. Then I started listening to a few of their middle to later period albums. A lot of great stuff there, some incredibly progressive - and it can't all just be put down to George Martin.

I'll never have that awe for The Beatles that most people of that generation have but they were a good band who became very good musicians in the public eye when they could quite as easily have not tried.

The Beatles hit the States in one big bang whereas we'd had the benefit of hearing about them from the Hamburg days when they were probably playing for £3 each, if that, so that sort of took a lot of the WOW factor away.

I'm 63 now and although music is evolutionary, there were obviously times when change was big and fast rather than slow and steady. I feel lucky enough to have grown up in what I consider to have been times of great change where whole new genres were born (and discarded) and in the other "place to be" London (the other being Liverpool at the time)

To be standing in the Marquee watching those "in at the beginning" like Alexis Korner, Jeff Beck and Jon Hiseman and the like was a privilege and like Blue, grew up knowing what I wanted to do, albeit now as a hobby as opposed to having to pay bills.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1438210900' post='2832658']

No it was the old bloke from Steptoe and son that ruined it for me. :mellow:
[/quote]

Expect the Wilfred Brambell Appreciation Society to issue a fatwa. Keep your doors locked and get someone else to open your mail.

Just saying.

I grew up with The Beatles and just about everything they did inspired me. A Hard Days Night and Help were great films of their day and I rated Magical Mystery Tour after seeing it again.
Loved the beautiful sound of Ringo on Hello Goodbye and many others. Used to like Kenny Everett playing them lots on his shows also.

Nothing better for me.
;)

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1438247577' post='2832801']
Perspective - yes. Wisdom - hopefully!

Older - yes. Opinionated - well maybe. Stubborn - sometimes.
[/quote]

"Philosophically- Trying"

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438249776' post='2832838']
I read Blue's point as, if you experienced what went before then your perspective on the Beatles era (and what has followed) could be very different from later generations. I'd agree with that.

The Beatles were the spearhead. They enabled many careers and ended many more. They didn't just gently open the door, they caused a seismic earthquake and blew it off it's hinges.[/quote]

In the states being a musician was looked down on by most. In some way The Beatles made being a musician acceptable or a legitimate way to make a living.

When people use to ask me what I do for a living, I always hated and felt ashamed saying; [i][b]"I'm a Workers Compensation Claims Administrator"[/b][/i].

For a little over a year when asked, I'm now proud to say with confidence and arrogance [b][i]"I play electric bass guitar and sing in a Rock & Roll Band" [/i][/b]

Blue

Edited by blue

I grew up pre-Beatles in the days of The Shadows, Cliff, Duane Eddy, etc. What got me into playing was seeing Little Richard live. Just amazing. First band played early rock'n'roll and instrumentals then in 1963 The Beatles arrived. Everything changed overnight. I saw them at Guildford Odeon in June 1963. Eventually the Stones arrived and it all changed again and it's kept on changing. The Beatles made popular music take a huge step-change for the better.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438282088' post='2833263']
In the states being a musician was looked down on by most. In some way The Beatles made being a musician acceptable or a legitimate way to make a living.

When people use to ask me what I do for a living, I always hated and felt ashamed saying; [i][b]"I'm a Workers Compensation Claims Administrator"[/b][/i].

For a little over a year when asked, I'm now proud to say with confidence and arrogance [b][i]"I play electric bass guitar and sing in a Rock & Roll Band" [/i][/b]

Blue
[/quote]

If you were in the UK and said you were a "worker's compensation claims administrator" you would actually be hated :lol: UK TV is drowning in adverts for industrial accident ambulance chasers.

I think in those days in the UK, being a musician was a little more acceptable to do as a job than you experienced unless of course, you were trying to convince your own parents that it was your chosen path in life.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438278753' post='2833223']
Expect the Wilfred Brambell Appreciation Society to issue a fatwa. Keep your doors locked and get someone else to open your mail.

Just saying.
[/quote]

Ah! Thats his name! ;)

Edit-
The 'Dirty Old Man' catchphrase from Steptoe appears to have been reworked for AHDN where everyone keeps on about the old man being 'Very Clean!'

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1438282585' post='2833273']
I grew up pre-Beatles in the days of The Shadows, Cliff, Duane Eddy, etc. What got me into playing was seeing Little Richard live. Just amazing. First band played early rock'n'roll and instrumentals then in 1963 The Beatles arrived. Everything changed overnight. I saw them at Guildford Odeon in June 1963. Eventually the Stones arrived and it all changed again and it's kept on changing. The Beatles made popular music take a huge step-change for the better.
[/quote]

Nice! and well said.

Blue

I guess it was so huge and to me it seems like 1964 was yesterday I feel sorry for the younger generation that admittedly says
" I Don't Get It ".

I do understand it though, they can't understand the presence, impact and power of The Beatles because they don't have bands anything like what came out of the "Mersey Beat". It was a one shot deal, if you weren't there, you missed it. I feel musically, they missed probably the hugest chunk of pop music history imaginable.

We were given the opportunity to grow up with these bands. And when I say grow up, I mean you felt like you were a part of the transition and creative growth from say Meet The Beatles to The White Album or The Beach boys Shut Down to Pet Sounds. That experience doesn't and can't happen today.

Blue

Edited by blue

It's easy to miss what was really important about The Beatles, because nowdays we live in a post-Beatles era. By that I mean that other musicians have learned from The Beatles, and there is plenty of music that equals the quality and sophistication of what they did. The important thing is that The Beatles did it without a precedent to learn from.

It's similar to how some artists can produce paintings in the style of the great masters. It doesn't make them more talented than the great masters, as the technique may be there. What's missing is the innovation. Everyone seems to get that for art and science. For some reason people forget that for music, and wonder what all the fuss was about.

In my eyes, the ability to take all the influences from the past 50 years until now, reference them and create something new to move music forward, takes a lot more skill and tact than doing the same in the 60's.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1438295616' post='2833440']
I don't understand where this whole 'young people don't get the Beatles' idea comes from.
[/quote]

In the fact that some people don't really like the beatles now, probably as a lot didn't really like the beatles then

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1438298574' post='2833460']
In the fact that some people don't really like the beatles now, probably as a lot didn't really like the beatles then
[/quote]

Yeah, it's just OAP conjecture for me. I love the Beatles. The Beatles have influenced my approach to music, almost exclusively. How does that make me different to anyone in the 60s, apart from having tons of other influences to accredit?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1438298574' post='2833460']
[/quote]

Hmmm, Not anybody I know.

Blue