Why become a member? ×

Sound check. What do you play?

NoRhino

When the sound chap says " And can I have the bass please?" I usually play solid root notes at low middle and high positions on the fretboard. Then I'll play a walking bass figure across the board finishing with a bit of noodling above the 12th.
At this point the SM will say "Thanks" and move on to the next muso.
Any other suggestion as to a good sound check routine please?

I play the bassline to the song we`re going to soundcheck with. If I were playing anything other than one of our songs I wouldn`t be hitting the strings with the intensity at which I need for our material, so the levels wouldn`t be right. I also - not often but sometimes - have to convince the soundman, yes I do want the sound that gnarly/trebly, and yes I do want that much breakup as well.

[quote name='The Funk' timestamp='1438215067' post='2832678']
I'll play some fingerstyle stuff and some slap stuff to see if the engineer can get a good level even if there's a big level difference between the two.
[/quote]

pretty much... playing something repetitive low, and something higher.
If it's one of the bands I use effects on, I'd try that to check level is ok... overdrive, and in particular envelope filters as they can give surprisingly hefty lumps of bassage

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1438244718' post='2832767']
Checkin' On My Baby in A. A simple line which I can play at gig level and is quavers throughout so the sound man has plenty of opportunity to adjust the gain if needed.
[/quote]

yes, keeping it simple is definitely the thing to do, in my opinion. It's not an audition... give the guy something consistent for him to tweak and play with... simple and repetitive is best :)

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1438204180' post='2832587']
I usually play bits and bobs of some of the songs that the band will be playing on the night. It helps me get an idea of what the room and PA sounds like.
[/quote]

This. Normally with my volume knob on about 90% so I've got something in reserve ;)

We do our own soundcheck between us (pubs) so I'll play what song we've decided to use as a check on the, needs to be something where all instruments/vox are used (though my bvox can usually be tweaked a bit on the fly as we are going along).

Edited by KevB