Why become a member? ×

sample triggers - easy options help ?

dmccombe7

Was looking for a way of triggering sampled sounds ranging from spoken parts and breaking glass kind of thing.
Does anyone have experience of a simple to use system either triggered by foot preferably or by keyboard of some kind.
Would prefer a cheap but reliable option to see how it pans out.

Dave

Loads of options depending on your budget, what gear you already have and overall robustness of the equipment that you require.

How many samples will you need for the whole set?

Will you need to be able play tunes with any of them?

What would be your preferred method of triggering them?

How "bomb-proof" do you need your solution to be?

Do you already have any of the following: Laptop that you'd be prepared to take on stage at gigs, MIDI interface, any MIDI pedal device that can be programmed to transmit MIDI note info, hardware sampler?

Edited by BigRedX

Jamman sounds as tho it might fir the bill and will get a look at it.
I'm starting from scratch with this kind of thing and want to be able to trigger things by foot preferably but a keyboard might be ok.

Only thing i have with midi is my Roland GT-6B but i'm not big on midi to be honest.
I do need to trigger them in live situation. They are already on the recordings and we are looking for ways to trigger live.
It will trigger sample spoken vocal parts not singing or parts that need to be in tune or in perfect time.
There will be some sampled noises like glass breaking, ocean waves and that kind of thing.
The spoken vocal part is approx 2mins long tho.

Dave

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438296214' post='2833445']
If it's a band, then maybe your drummer could trigger them ?

[url="http://www.alesis.com/controlpad"]http://www.alesis.com/controlpad[/url]

[/quote]

That looks interesting but i'm not keen on using laptop live for some reason .....
just not reliable enough for me.
unless maybe a sampler of some kind that it triggers.

Might look into usb linked sampler if there is such a thing.

Dave

Roland SPD-S is a drummer-proof sample pad with 9 triggers available at any one time. Alternatively, the Akai MCP range of samplers are pretty bulletproof, can.be triggered from the on-board pads or from an external midi input. If you want something on the floor to control it yourself, I'd expect the Behringer FCB1010 can be persuaded to send midi note messages.

Edited by mike257

Hi Dave,

A few more suggestions in this topic:[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222721-foot-keyboards-or-something/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222721-foot-keyboards-or-something/[/url] including what I use, which is the Roland PK5 pedals into laptop/Reaper DAW and its built in sampler for playing wav files.

If you have an iPad, you could probably also find a cheap app that simulates a hardware sampler, something like iMaschine or an Akai MPC clone, which you could use to trigger samples live using fingers (or keyboards if you had a midi interface for iPad or a mini keyboard that plugs directly into an iPad). We use both my pedals and the drummer's iPad playing live in DarkSky.

cheers

Ralph

AS I said in my original post there are a multitude of solutions and its a question for the OP do decide what compromises they want to make regarding convenience, cost and reliability.

My personal choice would be a dedicated hardware unit that holds all the samples permanently in non-volatile memory so there is nothing at requires loading at startup or at any other point in the set; connected via a good quality MIDI cable to a pedal controller - either a "keyboard" style or something like the Behringer mentioned earlier which can be configured to produce MIDI notes instead of program change commands from the pedals.

I would very much like to recommend something like an iPad, but I can't simply because IME computer peripheral connectors while being fine for typical home or office use don't come close to being remotely gig-proof.

sorry i didnt read any of the previous comments so not sure if this way has already been mentioned

but in my old band we used a digitech jamman stereo (direct to PA) to play the samples, was easy to save them on (real time play in/loop or save file via PC) and with the bank up/down buttons i could change the samples and still play bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438759086' post='2836889']
How many samples can it hold in memory at once?

[color=#800080]99, 10 minutes max per loop, up to 35 minutes[/color]
[color=#800080]198, 10 minutes max per loop, up to 16 hours with SD card (up to 16 gb...)[/color]

How do you switch between them?

[color=#800080]Increment or decrement with Loop Up/Loop Down. 'Fast Forward/Back' if held.[/color]

Are they retained when the unit is powered down?

[color=#800080]Yes[/color]
[/quote]

See here for more ...

[url="http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_documents/documents/245_1305738169/JamMan%20Stereo%20Manual%2018-0707V-B_original.pdf"]User Manual (pdf...)...[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1438760174' post='2836898']
See here for more ...

[url="http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_documents/documents/245_1305738169/JamMan%20Stereo%20Manual%2018-0707V-B_original.pdf"]User Manual (pdf...)...[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks. However IMO nothing beats information from actual users of the equipment. While the manual ought to tell you whether something is possible or not IME only an experienced user of the device in question can tell you easy or practical in a live situation that function actually is.

So having skim read through the manual I have following follow up questions:

1. Does the librarian software offer all the edit functions of the JamMan front panel. In other words can I take any audio sample in any common format load it into a specific memory location and set it to either loop or one shot?

2. Can I trigger a second one-shot sample while another is already playing?

3. How easy is it to switch between memory locations and can this be done while the current sound is playing without affecting playback, so it would be possible to cue up the next sample while the current one is still playing?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438764364' post='2836949']
Thanks. However IMO nothing beats information from actual users of the equipment. While the manual ought to tell you whether something is possible or not IME only an experienced user of the device in question can tell you easy or practical in a live situation that function actually is.

So having skim read through the manual I have following follow up questions:

1. Does the librarian software offer all the edit functions of the JamMan front panel. In other words can I take any audio sample in any common format load it into a specific memory location and set it to either loop or one shot?

2. Can I trigger a second one-shot sample while another is already playing?

3. How easy is it to switch between memory locations and can this be done while the current sound is playing without affecting playback, so it would be possible to cue up the next sample while the current one is still playing?
[/quote]

Think these questions are more about what i was looking for. Jamman does seem to fit the bill but BigRedX questions will clarify if we can get an answer.
Thanks
Dave

i havent used mine for ages, im gonna ebay it soon probably, before i do ill load it up and have a fiddle

from what i remember, when youre playing one sample, you can move along to the next but i cant remember if it just plays straight after the current one finishes

From memory (though I haven't specifically tried) on questions 2 and 3.

2. Yes, pretty sure I have mistakenly done this at some point and had two playing.
3. Yes, You can switch location and get the next one ready while one is playing.

1. No idea, not used the software.

I'd try and keep it simple with relevant samples next to each other as keeping a bassline tight whilst scrolling through and looking at your feet is tricky. I also leave a blank channel between patches as I figure if you happen to kick on too far, for instance, it's better to have nothing playing than the wrong sample.

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1438863232' post='2838148']
From memory (though I haven't specifically tried) on questions 2 and 3.

2. Yes, pretty sure I have mistakenly done this at some point and had two playing.
3. Yes, You can switch location and get the next one ready while one is playing.

1. No idea, not used the software.

I'd try and keep it simple with relevant samples next to each other as keeping a bassline tight whilst scrolling through and looking at your feet is tricky. I also leave a blank channel between patches as I figure if you happen to kick on too far, for instance, it's better to have nothing playing than the wrong sample.
[/quote]

brilliant redbandit599
really appreciate the help and advice

gonna give a closer look at the jamman

Dave

I've been doing this on the cheap our drummer has a vert fancy electric kit and is able to trigger samples by hitting the rims of his drum's ones currently a cowbell but im assured he can loud whatever sound we need.

One of our cheesy wedding onboards is teenage dirtbag by wheatus, So i cut out the strange scratching sample from the front of the song Mp3 , in the long term I will be giving it to him to load onto his electric kit but at rehearsals's he is using a studio kit.

So in the meantime our vocalist is triggering it from this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.soundtrigger&hl=en_GB on his phone which is connected via 1.5 jack to our mixer :-) .... the freeware is limited to 4 triggers in a list but if your getting on with it then the limit is removable for a small fee .