Why become a member? ×

Bit of help needed re P.A inputs.

leschirons

I'm not able to check this out for myself for a couple of days so hopefully, someone here will know.

I have a Yamaha EMX212s powered mixer. Channels 5/6 & 7/8 are either for mics (XLR) or a pair of 1/4 jack inputs marked L(mono) and R so you can use a synth for example.

What I need to know is if I could use both 1/4 jack inputs ( the left and right) for two separate instruments or would I need an A/B box? and just use the L(mono) input?

The two instruments would not be used at the same time but I want to avoid unplugging and plugging in etc.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by leschirons

I don't have the same desk as you but have tried it before on another one with a similar setup. It worked but with both plugged in, the 'Left' instrument only came out of the left channel and likewise for the right.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1438206623' post='2832612']
I don't have the same desk as you but have tried it before on another one with a similar setup. It worked but with both plugged in, the 'Left' instrument only came out of the left channel and likewise for the right.
[/quote]

Interesting, this desk has no "pan" and I've split the two amps for main and monitors so I have no left & right. I reckon the way to go is to use an A/B box that I have laying around. At least that way, only one will be turned on at a time.

Thanks for the reply. That's helped me decide which way to go.

Guest bassman7755

Presumably, as with most small format mixers, such paired channels are specifically designed to handle 2 separate live signals simultaneously.

In terms of getting sound out of the speakers it should work, especially if you can set it to run in mono. I don't know the mixer, but they usually have a ganged volume control on stereo channels so you can't set volume for each side independently (although you *could* get some sort of control with the pan pot).

If you have an A/B box it will likely make your life a little bit easier if you use it. (If you're running the desk as well as playing you shouldn't want to make things harder for yourself than they need to be.)

Ok. Assuming you have the mixer switch in the correct position the stereo pair are mixed before being sent to the busses. So just plug one instrument in the Left and one in the Right.

You'll have to adjust the level at the instruments to mix properly.

http://www.whitelight.ltd.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/emx512sc_manual.pdf

You'll get best results with line-level inputs (ie, a keyboard, or a guitar/bass/whatever through a DI box.

I'd be inclined to go with the A/B box, the other advantage of this is that the instrument you're not using will be turned off, so won't contribute to the sound if it resonates.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1438246023' post='2832783']
Edit: Just read the manual. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I have, and it's not mentioned at all.

Have found my old A/B box and tested it so will go with that into the L(mono) as pointed out, it will also cut the instrument not in use. Easier all round.

Thanks everyone for your "input" (see what I did there?)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1438267050' post='2833067']

I have, and it's not mentioned at all.

Have found my old A/B box and tested it so will go with that into the L(mono) as pointed out, it will also cut the instrument not in use. Easier all round.

Thanks everyone for your "input" (see what I did there?)
[/quote]

Page 20. Number 3.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1438269747' post='2833102']
Page 20. Number 3.
[/quote]

The amps will be split one side for mains and the other to power a pair of passive monitors. so doesn't that reference mean that the output would only be through one of the amps? ie the monitors or just the mains?

Sorry if my confusion over this is irritating but I'm not really up on this stuff.

I read the manual like Tim R suggested! Your mixer with the switch in the Main L+R Mon mode will add the left and right signals together and output through the left speaker out. That mean that in this mode, if you plugged two instruments in to one of the stereo channels they'd both be output through the same speaker out at the same time. For your front of house sound you're only using this channel so the short answer is that, with this desk, it should be fine, I believe.

My only question is that each channel can output to one speaker each - are you daisy chaining your mains and your monitors?

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1438280803' post='2833253']
I read the manual like Tim R suggested! Your mixer with the switch in the Main L+R Mon mode will add the left and right signals together and output through the left speaker out. That mean that in this mode, if you plugged two instruments in to one of the stereo channels they'd both be output through the same speaker out at the same time. For your front of house sound you're only using this channel so the short answer is that, with this desk, it should be fine, I believe.

My only question is that each channel can output to one speaker each - are you daisy chaining your mains and your monitors?
[/quote]

Each amp (side) can go down to 4 ohms so, I have two 8ohm cabs on each side as per page 27 of the manual. (Two 8ohm front of house and two 8ohm monitors) In this mode, the individual monitor levels are controlable from each channel and output through one side (one amp) in addition to a signal to the monitor out in case I need more foldback via a powered unit.

On the back there are a Speakon connector and a 1/4 jack for each amp. I have the speakon out (side A) to 1 main, then daisy-chained to the other main. Same for the two monitors (side B. As the outputs are parallel, I could use both the jack and the speakon with a lead to each main (and same for the monitors) but daisy chaining will keep it neater on stage for us.

Edited by leschirons

Ah right I got it, neat solution! Well, I reckon plugging one instrument each in to a single stereo channel input will work then and you were right all along. Sorry for confusing matters, I should have looked at the specifics of your mixer first.