Why become a member? ×

Warwick streamer vs Corvette . . . Ergonomics

King Tut

Got my eye on a couple of streamers on here. I'm a singing bass player and used to Jazzes, so it's important to me that a bass hangs right so I know where I'm going with my hands when I'm not looking . . . Oooer!

Thumbs are no good for me as they push the neck out too far to the left. I've had a couple of Corvette's but that top horn seems to push the top of the body forward away from me, so moved them on.

Never tried a Streamer . . . How do they compare to a Jazz.

Anyone tried a Streamer Pro M? Does that single split pickup give an array of tones or is it limited?

You are going to have that problem with the Warwick bass ...... they feel and play completely different then a Jazz bass.

The jazz feels and balance way much better then a warwick in my opinion. The warwick is longer and tend to have abit of neck heavy in my experience. But I will take a Streamer any day if I'm going to buy a warwick again.

No experience of playing Jazzes (I instantly hated all about the only lefty one I tried, except for its thin neck), but as far as Warwicks are concerned, I agree about the tendency to neck-dive. Having said that, Streamers are better than Corvettes, especially if you stick to 4 strings. And unlike the horrid, straight plank that's a Fender typical body, Streamers' bodies have a concave shape at the back, which many find very ergonomic (I'm not a fan, but that's just down to personal taste.)
I would advise to try a Streamer or two in a shop, at a friendly local BCer or if you can make it to the South East Bash. Also important to check out the difference in sound with the Jazz.

I flick between jazz's & Warwick's all the time (and have played corvettes, thumbs & streamers), whether you like the way Warwicks hang or not is obviously just personal preference but I would say that if you have your strap length set so that both basses hang at the same level the notes you go to play will be two frets further away on the Warwick compared to the Fender position - you generally get used to it after a song but it is noticeable at first.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1438244982' post='2832771']
The jazz feels and balance way much better then a warwick in my opinion.
[/quote]
Totally disagree with this generalised opinion - it is contrary to my own experiences.

I thoroughly recommend you actually try a Streamer in the flesh...then you will know.

I've tried a Corvette, great bass but didn't like the way it felt. The upper horn just made it sit weird for me. My Jazz is far more comfortable. Streamer I'd imagine would be great though, the concave rear and all round ergonomics should make for a very comfy bass.

Edited by 40hz

I enjoy my Warwick corvettes (3), have not really noticed neck dive using wide (grippy) leather strap. Then again I enjoy playing a range of basses and appreciate the differences. If you want neck dive I can suggest Gibson SG / EB bass but even this can be conquered. In terms of bang ber buck Corvettes are a steal at the moment.

Edited by 3below

With neck dive; the only Warwick I've used that has has any neck dive was a thumb but that was only slight - the other two hang perfectly horizontally [ie no neck dive] when left no handed on the strap (though why you'd do this when playing is beyond me).

The reason Fenders (and basses of that type) feel "more balanced" or just stay where you let go is because the bodies are heavy & the necks are very light, it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than the weight is all plonked in the middle - there is a reason for both techniques (be that balance, resonance or cost etc...).

When wearing a bass I've never really noticed the concave body (or lack of) making any difference; this may be down to the height I have the bass or my body shape but to be honest I've always been comfortable when playing both flat bodies or curved. Curved definitely looks cooler though I'll give them that.

My streamer or corvette hang fine. Well balanced. The corvette is Bubinga body and Wenge neck, while the streamer is pine body and maple neck.

The difference you will sense is that the first fret on the Warwicks will appear further away from your fretting hand. It feels as though the neck is elongated is away from you. This might take some time getting used to.

I prefer Warwick bodies, personally, because they are smaller. I love a good jazz bass, but the bodies just irritate me a little.

I definitely prefer the streamer body to the jazz shape body. I've only ever found a jazz bass to be uncomfortable to play standing or sitting. The streamer I owned however sat really nicely when on a strap...much better than the corvette or thumb bass did.

if you're buying second hand I say buy it and worst case scenario is that you don't like it and sell it on for little/no loss.

I've only got experience of the Rockbass version of the Corvette, I hated it. Probably the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played. Perhaps the genuine article is different, but the way it hung on the strap, the first fret felt miles away.This with a neck that was incredibly thick, it was appalling. I was relieved to get rid of it.

My Yamaha, Ibanez and Sire Jazz beat that bass hands down for playability.

They are both wonderful basses to play. Preference compared to a Jazz is totally subjective. For me, the idea of choosing a Jazz Bass over the beautiful carved body of the Streamer is pure madness, but for others the unwieldy offset jazz is the way forward!

Never experienced neck dive with a 4 string streamer or corvette, wonderfully balanced instruments. Both have 38mm nuts, so very thin and jazz like, but the neck profile depends on the year. General rule of thumb; eighties and early nineties basses have skinny necks, late nineties up until 2008 have chunkier profiles (in general), 2009 they returned to a slimmer profile. The LTD models tend to have different neck profiles.

Goonieman and Marvin hit the nail on the head for me . . . . . It's about the first fret feeling farther away. This is because the the length of the top horn comes to about level with the 14th fret, whereas on a fender, it's about level with the 12th thus pushing the nut further away on the Warwicks. This is mebbe a plus if you play lots up the dusty end, but of you're used to Fenders, and you don't want to keep looking at the neck, then it can be off putting. I wasn't sure if Streamers were the same so I asked the question here.

Anyway I tried a streamer out at bass direct today. Sounded and played fab but sat on the strap all wrong for me, so I pulled the trigger on a lovely Sandberg Cali VT. well pleased, she's a beaut! Ooh and I added a second Eden EX112 to go with the one I've currently got. Can't wait to gig em tonight :-)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1438355417' post='2833883']
I've only got experience of the Rockbass version of the Corvette, I hated it. Probably the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played. Perhaps the genuine article is different, but the way it hung on the strap, the first fret felt miles away.
[/quote]
+1, also had the same issues on a full Warwick Corvette - so not just a Rockbass issue.

Edited by Musashimonkey

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1438404973' post='2834266']

+1, also had the same issues on a full Warwick Corvette - so not just a Rockbass issue.
[/quote]

They're not actually issues though are they? Warwick's are just different to what you were used to before - yes they hang differently but that's just design, if someone went the other way they'd be saying how ungainly the fender body is, its just that there are more fender derived bass designs out there so most people find Warwick to be the design that's new/different.

Neither are wrong designs IMO, just different & I find it fine switching between the two.

Agree totally LW. Not saying one's right or wrong. Was purely canvassing for opinion on whether the Streamer was as different as the other Warwicks. Trying one out soon answered that and for ME it is an influencing factor. Shame cos I love the look, quality and sound of Warwicks.

My two main basses are my Jazz (Deluxe, so slightly smaller body than a standard USA one) and and my Corvette $$ and I swap between them all the time.

I've never noticed any neck dive on the Corvette and the body is very unobtrusive. The neck is one of the relatively thin ones, but still more beefy than the Jazz, whose neck is really, really silky smooth.

I find the Jazz easier to play, but the Corvette has way more tone options and stands out from the herd a bit.

The only way to find out which is for you is to try both.

On the other hand, I've been switching between my two for a couple of years now and I still can't make up my mind which I would keep if I had to pick just one!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gazzatriumph

I have no problem with my German Corvette $$, in fact like it so much I'm selling my Fender P Deluxe to get another, maybe depends on what strap people are using. They sound great too

The Streamer Pro M is an awesome bass. The pickups give you a lot more versatility than you would imagine given their close proximity and that curved body is extrememly comfortable.

I regret selling mine. A lot.

For the record, I've had 3 Corvettes, a Thumb BO and and 1987 Thumb NT, plus the Streamer Pro M. The Pro M beat them all.

Edited by rungles

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1438279833' post='2833237']

Totally disagree with this generalised opinion - it is contrary to my own experiences.

I thoroughly recommend you actually try a Streamer in the flesh...then you will know.
[/quote]

I agree with this. I have both, and for me the streamer is way more comfortable.
Where it sits and how it plays

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1439485474' post='2843320']
I agree with this. I have both, and for me the streamer is way more comfortable.
Where it sits and how it plays
[/quote]

The OP has pulled the trigger on something else now, but he's more than welcome the drive 1 hour to me and try mine out - well worth the effort if you're serious about a Warwick.