Why become a member? ×

Communicating with the soundguy

Roland Rock

You've done your encore and the DJ has cranked up some tunes. You want to pack up ASAP but are afraid that if you pull out the DI you will get the dreaded CLUNK BOOM which almost destroys the PA.

Is there a universal hand gesture, recognisable across a sea of people and loud music, which means "is it safe to unplug the DI yet?"?

I have tried a kind of 'pull your thumb out of a closed fist' gesture, but pretty sure that means "Poo" in sign language - maybe people just thought I was busting 😂

Edited by Roland Rock

Last time that happened to me, soundman was mortified and apologised for not cutting the signal to the PA.

Mind you I had been to bar, picked up pint ordered via stooge (using the universally recognised signal for "for heavens sake get me a drink before last orders is called"), swapped various small talk with audients, and returned to the stage to pack up.

Waving at him so you've got his attention and then pointing at the DI box/amp/bass and then looking querulous does it for me on the odd occasion when I've had a soundman and he's been too far away for me just to shout the question "OK to unplug?" at him.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1438272651' post='2833143']
There should be a universal system of signals for sound engineering , much like the aircraft paddle thing
[/quote]

There is, various amounts of or combinations of fingers, and shuffling hand gestures.

Good question. I do a lot of open mics and jams, and I'm always plugging in and out of unfamiliar equipment (not a euphemism, discreet! ) :-)
I'm always terrified of sticking something in the wrong hole, or pulling it out and blowing it up (honestly, really not euphemism!).

A universal system of hand gestures to sound persons would be very helpful.

I've found that if you unplug the XLR cable first, before you unplug the guitar cable, there is no (or at least far less) noise. At least this works with the boxes I have tested with, both passive and active ones. If there is another band coming on after you, just replug the XLR cable when you are done. Using this method, I can unplug when [b]I [/b]am ready, not when the soundguy is finished checking his cellphone, making out with his girlfriend, eating his curry, reading todays newspaper, looking for his contacts, turning on his hearing aid etc.