Why become a member? ×

Bass and Dehydration

Nicko

Woke up this morning feeling like I drank a barrel of beer last night. I didn't drink anything other than water, but I was at the rehearsal room and it was like a sauna in there. I think that's what dunnit. I drank at least 2 litres of water yesterday but obviously its not enough.

2l is the very minimum of what you should drink a day, when you add in the effort of loading in & playing at rehearsals you need to be having more than that. As an example I drink a 750ml bottle of water at every rehearsal & have ran out by the end and I drink a lot during the day too.

It is a good idea to start loading up with water early [i]on the day of the rehearsal or gig.[/i] A few sips every twenty minutes to half an hour or so during the day will help to keep the levels up. This can then be topped up at the rehearsal itself.

I generally drink about a litre of water per rehearsal (and usually a coffee or two on top of that). I generally drink a lot of water anyway but still feel like I'm always dehydrated.

At gigs I generally (dependant on how early we arrive for load in/soundcheck) have maybe 1 pint and then about 2 pints of water and generally take a beer up with me for when I'm playing. Suppose you can't really do that in a wedding band type scenario though.

I do my best to keep hydrated when rehearsing and gigging, however, I do seem to be continually thirsty when playing (no it's not diabetes as I regularly check my blood sugar)

I sweat like I'm exercising when playing and it is a pain in the backside. I've not really thought about it too much but maybe the answer is to top up prior to playing. I do want to avoid being desperate for a pee mid set though

[quote name='The Funk' timestamp='1438270487' post='2833113']
Didn't Jason Newstead pass out in a similar fashion at one of his first Metallica gigs?
[/quote]

Haha, poor Jason. This was reported but he fiercely denies it, instead claimed it was his bass rig that failed. Poor guys was doomed from the start!

But on dehydration, little and often is the key. Don't wait until you get thirsty to have a drink, keep topped up before, durin, and after.
It doesn't have to be plain water, all liquids count! But remember that alcohol and caffein will also make you pee more, so choose your beverage wisely.

That's weird i felt like that on Sun morning after rehearsal on Sat. Its a prog band so there's not a lot of movement at rehearsals compared to rock bands and my gear is all lightweight but when i woke on Sun i thought i had a hang-over even tho no drink involved at all.
More water required methinks

Dave

I take two 1 litre bottles of water to every wedding gig and normally get myself a pint of water before each set and a cup of tea at the break. I also have a bottle of water in the car for driving through and a second one for the drive home

I am also on a diet so as I burn fat I am also using up the fluids in my body and so need more than I normally would.

I must drink around 20-25 litres of water a week at the moment

Edited by Delberthot