Why become a member? ×

TECAMP

eevespete

Tecamp Puma 900 is a sweet amp. If your looking for a vintage tone, look elsewhere IMO. The Puma has a modern twist to its tone. Crispy highs if required, tons of headroom and the taste control is a lovely feature for dialing in the sweet spot.
Interestingly I purchased the cheap and cheerful Kustom KXB500 as back up, but to my surprise, the Kustom has become my main amp. The best micro amp I have come across. Not as modern a tone as the Puma, but is more appropriate to my needs. Lots of love over on TB for the Kustom head

Just ordered a Puma 900 from Bass Direct, should be here next week. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on here before then but il let you know thoughts when it arrives.

Heard nothing but great things about them.

Edited by Bearfist

My only issue with the PUMA was that the treble control is centred at 8khz. This was out of the range of my Barefaced Supercompact (no tweeter) so I struggled for top end. So the issue was my cab rather than the amp, actually.

I ended up putting a sansamp para driver at the end of my chain before the amp, set the amp flat, and that worked really well for me..

So just be aware of that if your cab(s) don't have tweeters or other high frequency drivers.

I have a Puma 110 which I use as a stage monitor and di to the main PA. It is on its 3rd woofer and last night stopped working altogether so I will probably go back to markbass. Shame, it has been a good bit of kit to use but I need something more reliable.

[b]Edit[/b]: just plugged it in to see if I could find the problem and it is working flawlessly again. That's almost worse than it breaking down in the first place!

Edited by pete.young

I use a Black Jag 500 head through a TechSoundsystems 2x12. It's the best sounding rig I've had and frequently gets good comments. It has boostable EQ sections but I never use them. Everything is set at roughly 12 o clock and it cuts through the mix like nothing else I've ever had.

I like TecAmp gear, I have the BonaFide and a Puma 300 as backup (!!). Tones great, flexible, two amps in one, bass boost on one channel goes down to 2 Ohms on both channels. When bridged both channels tone controls work independently as well...

I had a Puma 900, great amp. Sold when I decided switch mode power is not what I want.

Still have 2 Tecamp L212s that I use with a GK RB1001 and/or 700. Love the tone, they are really light and tweeter control is very good.

BUY I would suggest :)

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='[url="tel:1438619504"]1438619504[/url]' post='2835818']
I own the Puma 1000 and the Puma 900. The 1000 has an excellent compressor and allows hooking up a Pleasure Board, so it has a few things going for it, but the 900 fits nicely in the gig bag. Soundwise though, the 1000 is my favourite.
[/quote]
I also used to have the L410 which didn't impress and only stayed with me a short while.

Edited by Reissueplayer

I use an S115 and the XS115 for the channel with bass boost and an S210 for all the top end I might need. Can't fault the cabs at all, but that's just me. Occasionally use a Shroeder 18PL for the bass boost channel ....

Given me some serious things to think about here guys.
I'm not at all disappointed with the aguilar TH500 tone, its nice.. Can't help feel theres a better solution out there for me though - fueled by every time I've heard a Tecamp being used I've been left with this face :o

900 and 1000 are getting looked at B)

Edited by eevespete

Mine has just arrived.

First thoughts, its so small!

Sounds great, super clean, the taste control adds some nice character, really nice EQ points but I reckon as people have said I could live with just the taste control and my god its loud! Im at home so cant go nuts but I gave it a quick crank and there is plenty there.

Got my second Berg HD112 today as well and the Tecamp with a pair of those is lovely!

Edit - Had my first night in the studio with the Puma 900. Really impressive amp, very clean at high volumes and it kept up with the guys just fine and they are loud to put it mildly. The EQ is very powerful and I'm very into the chosen frequencies. With the two Berg HD112's (first time I used them too) the whole set up sounded great, a ton of depth and volume, couldn't be happier, definitely recommend.

Edited by Bearfist

My main rig is built around a Tech Soundsystems Black Cat amp. 2 x 500W Valve/digital hybrid.

The tone controls are subtle but the amp really lets the individual voice of the bass shine through rather than stamp its character all over the sound. Works for me.

I'm currently looking at a Puma for a smaller version of the rig.

• 1 month later...

I have the Puma 500, it is an amazing amp with more than enough power for me, it is very honestly rated.
I changed from a TH500 and would not go back, this amp is deep controlled and clean. The taste control will let you dial vintage type tone if required but if you are looking for grit then look elsewhere.
Paired with a CN212 it is comfortably my favourite rig to date.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1439029696' post='2839474']My main rig is built around a Tech Soundsystems Black Cat amp. 2 x 500W Valve/digital hybrid.

The tone controls are subtle but the amp really lets the individual voice of the bass shine through rather than stamp its character all over the sound. Works for me.
[/quote]

Glad you still have that and that it's working for you. I know what you mean about subtle and also very interactive between the various EQs.