Why become a member? ×

Bass amp for keys

gerryc

Just changed our band line up to go to one guitar, bass, drums, vox and include keys. We don't have a dedicated keyboard amp but do have several spare bass amps, guitar amps and a Yamaha Stagepas 500 PA. Just wondering if any of those might be suitable

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1438331071' post='2833550']
I'd just put the keys through the main vocal PA if it's any good, use a small onstage monitor for keys player to hear themselves.
[/quote]

Vox PA is powered mixer Yamaha EMX640 into two EV SX300 tops, no subs. So not sure if it will handle keys as well, will try at practice Monday. Also will try Genz Benz Shuttle six into Barefaced compact and see how that sounds. Thanks for taking time to offer advice fellas

[quote name='gerryc' timestamp='1438335653' post='2833618']
Vox PA is powered mixer Yamaha EMX640 into two EV SX300 tops, no subs. So not sure if it will handle keys as well, will try at practice Monday. Also will try Genz Benz Shuttle six into Barefaced compact and see how that sounds. Thanks for taking time to offer advice fellas
[/quote]

I guess it depends what extremes of frequency the keys are going to do. I don't play keys as such but I provide some sounds live through sound module played in via PK5 pedals. I don't really play outside the middle 2 octaves of a std keyboard so no ultra low Moogesque stuff going on. We have a pair of reasonable quality Logic Systems tops (think they are 12's, don't look big enough to be 15's) and I just put the sound module through those via the desk. Not had any problems so far. We do have a sub but the places we've played to date don't really merit it so we've left it out of the system for time being. I use a little Behringer 205D on a mic stand to monitor my bvox and the sound module output. Sound out front for both vox and 'keys' is nice and clear. If you are playing bass you don't want your keys player getting overly busy down the low end with their left hand anyway. Looking at the specs for your EV's I'm sure they will cope, give it a try. If you click the link below for 'Shed The Ego' there is a vid clip of Echo Beach, that is the sound module just going through the PA tops.

Edited by KevB