Why become a member? ×

Function band bank accounts

lobematt

One of the bands I play with are looking into getting a bank account rather than taking payments into one of our personal accounts. Ideally anything with more than one of our names on it would do just to keep everything kosher...

I had a chat with a guy in TSB who seemed convinced we need a business account, although the band itself isn't registered as a business. I was just wondering what you guys have done in similar situations, a joint personal account maybe?

Cheers!

You don't really need a business account for this , any old joint account is fine the mrs and I when we first moved in wanted to keep our finances separate yet open a totally different account at a new bank to handle "expenses" .
we both pay a standing order in once a month which covers everything we need the bank clerk is just trying to do his best to up sell you.

My suggestion would be one of these , in a joint flavor.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Personal/Bank-Accounts/CurrentAccounts/

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1438353510' post='2833853']
cash cash cash, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me, why do you want a bank account?
[/quote]

Haha because all our payments are bank transfer the week prior to the event so we don't need to chase drunk brides for money... :ph34r:

Given the fact you're providing a service & charging people for it in what would look to many like a business transaction it seems fair that the guy would think you need a business account. Any reason that you don't want one?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1438357285' post='2833911']
Given the fact you're providing a service & charging people for it in what would look to many like a business transaction it seems fair that the guy would think you need a business account. Any reason that you don't want one?
[/quote]

+1

If you are taking money for a service you are operating as a business. All members will need to pay due tax on income from the band anyhow and its just about making it as transparent as possible. If you are divvying out from a personal account then in theory everyone needs to provide a receipt when paid so the divvy-er can account for it. The divvy-er will have to provide receipts for the hirers. A business account is actually a very good way to do this as it keeps the accounting more simple but one or more people will need to take responsibility for it.

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1438356021' post='2833890']
Haha because all our payments are bank transfer the week prior to the event so we don't need to chase drunk brides for money... :ph34r:
[/quote]

But that's the best bit! :gas:

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1438357285' post='2833911']
[/quote]

Mainly because you generally have to pay for business accounts! At the minute we all declare our earnings to HMRC and are registered as self employed. The band itself doesn't actually make any money, just the members of the band. I'm sure it falls into all kinds of grey areas but was just wondering if anyone had set up anything similar??

A band I used to be in has recently set up as a limited company. The whole lot. Submits accounts, bank accounts, directors.

I say recently, they did it a couple of years ago. No idea why. They're finding it a right hassle now.

I can understand the idea of a joint account. The best way is just to have a normal bank account. It's not like you'll be doing anything other than paying in one cheque and then paying out 4 or 5. No huge numbers involved. No messy payroll bacs or anything else. No corporation tax or VAT.

Just keep accounts so that the rest of the band can see it is transparent. I can't think of anything worse than getting a cheque for a couple of grand into your personal account around about payday, all starts to get messy.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1438345915' post='2833745']
One of the bands I play with are looking into getting a bank account rather than taking payments into one of our personal accounts. Ideally anything with more than one of our names on it would do just to keep everything kosher...

I had a chat with a guy in TSB who seemed convinced we need a business account, although the band itself isn't registered as a business. I was just wondering what you guys have done in similar situations, a joint personal account maybe?

Cheers!
[/quote]

A simple RBoS joint bank account was all we did.

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1438518518' post='2835088']

Mainly because you generally have to pay for business accounts! At the minute we all declare our earnings to HMRC and are registered as self employed. The band itself doesn't actually make any money, just the members of the band. I'm sure it falls into all kinds of grey areas but was just wondering if anyone had set up anything similar??
[/quote]

Yes but let's face it; if you're earning enough to require a specific band bank account (or even non-cash payments) you can afford the tiny monthly fee.

I would have suggested the Ltd co route though I accept its a pain if there isn't someone in the band willing to push the admin.