Why become a member? ×

Overdrive suggestions

adamg67

I`ve just got an Ampeg SCR-DI. You can have the drive enabled without the pre-amp/eq, and the blend control allows a varying amount of drive to added to the sound, as well as the actual drive control itself. And of course you can use it as a pre-amp/DI if using provided rigs/going to FOH.

Cool, more things to try once I've sold on some of the pedals that havn't worked out. At the moment I'm avoided preamp / DI pedals just to save a bit of space, since everything's going into a Sansamp anyway.

The AGRO is getting quite a bit of use now, that's a nice mid gain drive, not really transparent but I happen to like the way it sounds. The Hooker's Green is still the main one for just a touch of dirt. The blower box... that's nice, but I really don't know if I'll use it, we'll see.

The Barbershop might get sold on, I like it but not more than the Hooker's Green so it just isn't getting any use. If I sell that and the boneshaker I might have to get hold of a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Solid Gold FX Beta to try next.[/font][/color]

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1442091780' post='2864422']
If you're OK on making your own, then the RunOffGroove Ginger pedal is excellent. ([url="http://diy.thcustom.com/tag/runoffgroove-com/"]Here[/url].)
[/quote]

Ah, that's so tempting but I'm working really hard to resist getting into pedal building. On top of working on my bass playing and being in an originals band, I'm trying to learn some recording and mixing skills, so I think more projects would lead to divorce :)

[quote name='b'boom' timestamp='1442055789' post='2864103']
The Brimstone Audio XD-2 and the [color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, adobe-helvetica,]Creation Audio Labs Grizzly Bass are excellent and transparent pedals for boost clean, crunch, overdrive, and distortion tone. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

I just checked out the XD-2, that looks like an amazing pedal. All through trying it these pedals, I've been thinking, "what I really need is a crossover and two overdrives". With everything else there's always a difference between the dirt you get on the low notes compared to the highs (especially with a 6 string).

I'm not rating my chances of finding a second hand one though.

Makes me wonder about getting a crossover / mixer and having different pedals for high and low, I know that's not a new idea but I bet with some time put in to get it right you can get some awesome sounds.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1442091780' post='2864422']
If you're OK on making your own, then the RunOffGroove Ginger pedal is excellent. ([url="http://diy.thcustom.com/tag/runoffgroove-com/"]Here[/url].)
[/quote]

+1 on the 'Ginger'. My favourite low/medium overdrive. Great circuit by ROG, kudos to them - a lot of thought went into the design of it.

Edited by nick

I had a try on a Brimstone XD-2. This crossover system is brilliant, but not so easy to deal with in a live situation. It was a bit frustrating, as it was too complex for me to recreate the range of nice overdriven sounds i had at home. I finally part with it, and have now both the Beta and the Grizzly bass. I only used the Beta in a live setting, just great if you're after this slight boost in low-mids. Your tone isn't buried, it's stronger. And this thing gives a fair amount of gain if needed. Grizzly is more transparent, and more tweakable too. I stacked both (Beta in Grizzly), just great at home, but i'm afraid it"ll become muddy in a mix. I'll have a try though, these mid-scoop and treble roll-off controls on the Grizzly are really effective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MothBox' timestamp='1438436467' post='2834521'] For low gain I've been using the SGFX Beta, I think it covers the same sort of territory as the Blueberry. It has a lot of bass baked in and I love it![/quote]

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1438691183' post='2836401']
Solid Gold FX Beta is outstanding. No low end loss, in fact it adds a bit, which is no bad thing for an OD. I also use a Catalinbread SFT a more upper middy, Ampeg sort of tone.
[/quote]

I had a good play with a Solid Gold FX Beta a week or so ago, tried it back to back with my Hooker's Green Bassmachine. The verdict from both me and Steve was that they were virtually identical, slight differences at each end of the settings but anywhere near the middle you could get identical sounds from them. Given that the bassmachine is meant to sound like the blueberry, and the comment about about the beta and the blueberry, I think basically the three of them - Solid Gold FX Beta, One Control Hooker's Green Bassmachine, BJFE Blueberry - are very similar, or at least have massive overlap. So, I'll stick with what I've got on that front, especially as it's such a small footprint.

All ears are different of course, but I thought those three all sounded pretty different, and the Blueberry absolutely slayed the other two! Within one minute of playing with each, I knew that I would sell on the Beta and HGBM, and that I would never ever sell the Bearfoot.

I wanted a drive pedal to give a slight volume boost and add a bit of break up to my sound. Nothing excessive but just enough to fill out the sound in some songs and while the guitarist was soloing. I tried a Catalinbread SFT for a while but found the volume boost a bit uncontrollable and now use a Way Huge Green Rhino which does exactly what I want. Don't know if that helps at all.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1444664357' post='2884890']
All ears are different of course, but I thought those three all sounded pretty different, and the Blueberry absolutely slayed the other two! Within one minute of playing with each, I knew that I would sell on the Beta and HGBM, and that I would never ever sell the Bearfoot.
[/quote]
I have the Beta and the Bearfoot Blueberry and don't find them that similar either.
The Beta is very good too, but the Blueberry is on my pedalboard.

Edited by FretNoMore

I'd love to try a Beta and a blueberry through my rig someday, to compare to my beloved BB preamp. I'm more than happy enough with the BB, and scared of going down the rabbit hole again after my ridiculous delay quest... but would still fancy trying them some day :)

Recently buying my first house has forced my arm on this really! There is always a new muff, a new o/d, etc, to try... such a shame there aren't any / many shops over here that stock these fx so you can just sit down and try them all back to back

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1444664357' post='2884890']
[/quote]

Hmm, interesting... because I've never tried a blueberry, but the reason I thought they were similar is that when you sold the HGBM to me, you said, "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Only reason for selling is I already have the Bearfoot Blueberry and they sound so similar that I don't need to keep both!"[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ;)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They way it's worked out, the HGBM has stayed while quite a few other pedals have been tried and failed or have come and gone now. I really like it when it's only just overdriving, same tone as my clean sound, but just roughed so it goes nicely when I play with a pick, vs fingers which is how I play my clean sound. So I switch from fingers to pick and bump the HGBM on at the same time.[/font][/color]

• 6 years later...
On 12/10/2015 at 19:27, Japhet said:

I wanted a drive pedal to give a slight volume boost and add a bit of break up to my sound. Nothing excessive but just enough to fill out the sound in some songs and while the guitarist was soloing. I tried a Catalinbread SFT for a while but found the volume boost a bit uncontrollable and now use a Way Huge Green Rhino which does exactly what I want. Don't know if that helps at all.

hi Japhet. how's the low end on it? the green rhino