Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Replacement Pickup

Pestie

Hey Everyone

I recently bought a really lovely 91 MIK Precision off the forum. I would like to put in some new pickups that give me a nice punchy sound. It would be really nice if you could make suggestions so that I can make a choice of what to put in it. I really don't know what to put in at the moment but I'm sure somebody will have done this with cracking results.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Mike (Pestie) :)

Now you've gone and done it, cue three pages by this evening :D

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve but on one of my builds I decided that I wanted punchy and went for Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. Result = very punchy but not a traditional P sound.

It was what I wanted though, so I was happy.

I have a SD quarterpounder and it is a good pickup but I agree with the above that it doesn't offer a traditional Precision sound, it is quite tight sounding and very aggressive (in my bass anyway)

I have a Lindy Fralin in my 50's Classic, both bands I play in agree that this is their favourite sounding bass, again it is quite tight sounding but offers a more rounded sound....my Roadworn 50's classic has the standard Fender pickup in place and that sounds great as well

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1438351581' post='2833820']
on ebay, "only music", blues tribute model, nice and punchy

failing that, I'm selling a pickup out of a classic 50s model?
[/quote]

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1438358965' post='2833932']
I'll sell you a SD Quarterpounder , and I don't even work for McDonald's ...anyhow PM me if interested , it's a great well rounded pick up :)
[/quote]

Please gents keep offers of sales to p.m. only. I don't want to do any locking or deleting because the OT is a genuine request for info, so please keep all replies as advisory only. Thanks.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1438351715' post='2833822']
Now you've gone and done it, cue three pages by this evening :D

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve but on one of my builds I decided that I wanted punchy and went for Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. Result = very punchy[i][b] but not a traditional P sound.[/b][/i]

It was what I wanted though, so I was happy.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Gary.

If you want a traditional P-bass sound, what pup would you go for?

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1438373490' post='2834133']
Traditional = Aguilar
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1exrD10v4mg"]http://www.youtube....h?v=1exrD10v4mg[/url]
[/quote]
Really like that guy's playing.. the Curtis Mayfield 'Pusherman' thing he does is so good/tasty.

[quote name='Pestie' timestamp='1438350651' post='2833814']
Hey Everyone

I recently bought a really lovely 91 MIK Precision off the forum. I would like to put in some new pickups that give me a nice punchy sound. It would be really nice if you could make suggestions so that I can make a choice of what to put in it. I really don't know what to put in at the moment but I'm sure somebody will have done this with cracking results.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Mike (Pestie) :)
[/quote]

Entwistle PBX-N!!! (the [b]neodymium[/b] one)

If you look for a "classic" motown sound etc, maybe not. But if you want a powerful, fat, punchy sound, you could do a lot worse than trying this pickup. It sounds HUGE, in a very good way. Very well balanced too. Great pickup at around £80. But it's even better because it's not £80, but £26!
And no, I'm not recommending it for its price. I recommend it for its sound, regardless the price.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1438363219' post='2834005']
I have a Lindy Fralin in my 50's Classic, both bands I play in agree that this is their favourite sounding bass, again it is quite tight sounding but offers a more rounded sound....
[/quote]

how would you describe the difference between the Classic 50's original pickup and the Lindy Fralin?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1438370815' post='2834094']

Ok fair enough

Please gents keep offers of sales to p.m. only. I don't want to do any locking or deleting because the OT is a genuine request for info, so please keep all replies as advisory only. Thanks.
[/quote]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1438445715' post='2834588']

how would you describe the difference between the Classic 50's original pickup and the Lindy Fralin?
[/quote]

I would say the Fralin offers a more compressed punchy sound, it still has all the sound range of the original but is tighter sounding

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1438457329' post='2834686']
White dimarzio dp 127. Don't know how they sound like, but there the coolest looking pickups. Always wanted a white p bass, maple neck, white scratch plate and a white pair of dimarzio dp127's
[/quote]

that reminds me... I have a pair of these (in black!) that I never got to try! Still in my drawer of parts, I should experiment! Thanks for reminding me :lol:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1438459522' post='2834711']
I would say the Fralin offers a more compressed punchy sound, it still has all the sound range of the original but is tighter sounding
[/quote]

I really like the original pickup, but sometimes it can feel a bit... lacking a bit of something I can't describe.
I asked because two other people, when talking about the Classic 50, said "have you tried Fralins?"

BassChat can get expensive! :lol:

Thanks! :)