Why become a member? ×

Zoom MS-60B - idiots guide

ead

Is there such a thing for the unit? I've tried reading the manual but I'm really none the wiser; I think this is becasue there is an assumed level of knowledge that I just don't have. The pedals I have used hitherto have been simple things with a couple of knobs that do what they say on the tin so something with more complexity I find a bit baffling really.

Any help/councelling etc gratefully received.

I feel partly responsible having sold it to you. :D

I didn't find it that difficult to use although I have many multi effects units all with different user interfaces.

I had also owed a B3 before the MS-60b and the interface is largely based on the B3's - Any inference might come from being familiar with other Zoom units. I'd have a look at the B3 manual and videos as they are basically the same thing, but the B3 has more knobs to control everything.

Good Luck!

heres the link to the manual if you havent already got it

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multistomp/zoom-ms-60b-multistomp-bass-pedal#downloads

when i got my b3 i printed off the pages i needed to make my own quick reference guide instead of having to trawl through the manual each time and the more you use it the easier it gets

I have both the ms60b and the ms50g on my board. I use the ms60b as my preamp (always on), EQ (always on) and the one other slot as fuzz. So I basically just use it as a fuzz stomp box and dont touch the other slots. The ms50g goes at the end of my chain and I have it as noisegate(always on), light compression (always on) and then the other 4 slots are used as chorus, flange delay and envelope filter. I just bend down and go side to side for what ever I use on the particular tune.

My advice is just learn how to use one of the effects, and once you work out whats going on, all the others will make sense as they are all laid out pretty much exactly the same. It can get a bit footery if your looking to change order of pedals, or switching between patches, but since I dont use it like that, then its not an easy for me. Personally I love them, but I would understand why they wouldnt suit everyone.

Thanks boys.

NoirBass I bought it my eyes wide open as my tutor was showing it to me at my last lesson. I could see it was quite complex but I rashly assumed the manual would be a bit more explicit with at least a glossary in it.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1438417403' post='2834319']
Thanks boys.

NoirBass I bought it my eyes wide open as my tutor was showing it to me at my last lesson. I could see it was quite complex but I rashly assumed the manual would be a bit more explicit with at least a glossary in it.
[/quote]

Ok, well I'd get your tutor to give you a hand - TBH once you get the concept I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dan, that video review was very helpful; much better than the manual in fact. The one thing I've not quite got my head around is that with the more 'normal' (for want of a better word) pedals I'm used to they are 'on' or 'off', the Zoom unit seems to be on all the while, is that the case? A bit like a Terminator in fact.

I've achieved the first up goal of having a particular effect I wanted that I've ABed with the 'Bypass' chain so I can switch it in and out as required, so many thanks for helping me to do that.

Now Dan, where can I find your helpful video review of pension scheme alternatives to cashing in?

I found the best way to really understand the MS60B was to think of the 4 outer buttons as a joystick for moving around .... left and right for the different effects in the chain and up and down to cycle your sound .... Try to stick amp sims on the far right so you set up a " Sound" then move on to embellishing / shaping it yourself , stomp once to turn it on stomp once to turn it off then click left or right to queue a different one , then save it as a name.

For me in live use i think of the device as a way of setting up your sounds before playing, With the manual in hand for stuff like saving ;-) and then having the unit in Chain mode for using when i'm playing , which i can stomps to move on to the next in the chain.

my setups are
> A > B > C clean tone > Dirty drive tone > clean tone

• 4 years later...

Is there a way to power off the MS 60B, other than unplugging the power adaptor?  I know if shuts off by unplugging the input cable when under batt power, but I can't figure how to power it off when using wall power (other than unplugging it of course lol).  Thanks in advance for help.