Why become a member? ×

You're only as good as your drummer

Happy Jack

Yes, you are only as good as your drummer, very much so. I've been hung out to dry by several sub-standard drummers and more positively have been made to look like a fricking genius by a couple of very good ones. Steve Gadd is one of my all-time favourites, thanks for posting.

You can be let down by any member! A good drummer, bass player and guitarist are sh*t without a decent singer! Poor guitarist can draw the band down too. Come to think of it, the only position that could get away with a substandard player is the bass !

No, you're only as good as.........you.

If you're being let down by the drummer, then you need to take control, communicate during the performance, and if he's doing something wrong, then lead the rhythm section, don't just follow him.

I played a jazz gig recently with a dep drummer who kept speeding up, so I kept looking at her and signalling to slow down, and take her timing off me.

Steve Gadd and Anthony Jackson are probably my favourite rhythm section, I love what they did with Michel Pettrucciani.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1438369021' post='2834071']
If you're being let down by the drummer, then you need to take control, communicate during the performance, and if he's doing something wrong, then lead the rhythm section, don't just follow him.
[/quote]

I'd start looking for another band or another drummer. You both have to be good for it to work. I'm done with drummers who don't get it! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438369134' post='2834075']
I'd start looking for another band or another drummer. You both have to be good for it to work. I'm done with drummers who don't get it! :)
[/quote]

Luckily most I play with are pretty excellent, and guys I was at uni with.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1438371255' post='2834105']
You're only as good as your drummer- the Beatles are the greatest band ergo Ringo is the greatest drummer.

•Runs for cover•
[/quote]

But you had to be there.....

As a jazzer, I'd say you need a good drummer to be able to swing, and a very good drummer to be able to shine. I've just consulted my little black book where I write names down and see that I've played with 52 drummers so far. Most were OK.