Why become a member? ×

You're only as good as your drummer

Happy Jack

Saw a band play at a party last night and they had a reasonably decent set etc but the drummer was shocking.

It took me a song or two to work out why none of it was hanging together properly, and the feel of the songs was all out as a result. Regardless of what the rest of the band did nothing was going to disguise that.

My missus told me to stop being so rude about them.

I have a mate who's an ex pro, he's played with some very big names and played on a few Christmas number 1's (that's a clue as to who he's played for) He used to help my old band out when we were between drummers. Whenever he played with us, our performances always improved no end. The entire band lifted their game by miles for some reason!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438366084' post='2834030']
I'd say you are only as good as the weakest member but the other thing you don't want is the singer or the gtr pick the drummer.....generally. :lol:
[/quote]

I'm totally happy for our singer to pick the drummer, as he's a rather good one himself.

IME every drummer is different in their micro-timing so it always takes a while to lock in with a new one.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1438511697' post='2835005']
Saw a band play at a party last night and they had a reasonably decent set etc but the drummer was shocking.

It took me a song or two to work out why none of it was hanging together properly, and the feel of the songs was all out as a result. Regardless of what the rest of the band did nothing was going to disguise that.

My missus told me to stop being so rude about them.
[/quote]

The big question is; what did the audience think. I've seen bands, I've even played in bands with shocking drummers. The bass player seems to be the only person who knows what's wrong. Sometimes the rest of the band know there's something wrong but not what it is.

The bands never seemed to get re-booked but there was never any feedback why, even though the floor was filled.

Music is an odd thing sometimes.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1438532821' post='2835219']

The big question is; what did the audience think. I've seen bands, I've even played in bands with shocking drummers. The bass player seems to be the only person who knows what's wrong. Sometimes the rest of the band know there's something wrong but not what it is.

The bands never seemed to get re-booked but there was never any feedback why, even though the floor was filled.

Music is an odd thing sometimes.
[/quote]

Good point mate - I've been in a band which had two rubbish drummers in succession (the second one slightly less crap than the original one in fairness!) and your average punter just doesn't notice, or certainly doesn't single out where the problem lies.

But some things like attempting heroic drum fills you know they're not gonna come out of in time are noticeable to everyone I'd say.

When you play with a proper drummer the difference is easy for everyone to appreciate. I reckon if you've got rock solid bass and drums going on,you can get away with a ropey singer or a dodgy guitarist. But if the drums and bass aren't happening it all falls apart.