Why become a member? ×

Latitude

The Admiral

I have been thinking for some time that it would be good to catch up on some new bands, and given that Latitude was on download from Sky Arts, I thought I would see what I've been missing.

The answer seems to be 'nothing'.

I'm staggered at how insipid and uninspiring the bands were. Plenty of names I had heard about, and I certainly came at it with an open mind, but there was absolutely nothing that resonated with me at all, with Noel Gallagher being the only artist to fill the stage with any personality or musicality.

I'm probably opening myself up to accusations of boring old fart-dom, but tell me what I'm missing and I'd be delighted to be enlightened as to what I've missed!

I agree to some extent, I think Latitude is a victim of its own success and has entered mainstream festival territory. It's still actually a really nice festival to go to though. I'm not sure Sky Arts would given huge amount of coverage to new bands though - they didn't do that with Isle of Wight either...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1438373802' post='2834137']
I was there and your assessment is bang on... It was crap...
[/quote]

Glad it wasn't just me then.

The bands featured by Sky were :

James Blake
Alt J
The Vaccines
Catfish and the Bottlemen
Wolf Alice
Caribou

Of the old stagers -

The Boomtown Rats were shocking, and Geldof looked and sounded like a homeless person with a substance abuse problem, howling at the moon.

Badly Drawn Boy did his one song, to mass apathy, and The Manics did what they do, which I've never found very engaging, but they did it well.

The Prodigy were as bonkers as ever, but great energy, and Noel Gallagher and his band were very good.

Its become known as Latte-tude and I wonder if that is perhaps part of the problem, its become too hipster and a bit too 'cool London' in it's line up. I just wanted someone to come out and deliver something with passion, rather than poncing about with various keyboards and drum pads, whilst looking earnest and hoping the punters could see how artistic and tortured they were.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1438385642' post='2834234']
Maybe you're too old? When was the last time you went to a festival?
[/quote]

Thanks for that!

I actually go to festivals every year, but not of the size of Latitude - not least because the time and money involved is a lot to lay out if you are uncertain of the worth. That was one of the reasons for looking into the Latitude line up - to establish whether I might be missing out on some great stuff, but I just found it massively uninspiring. I've got pretty broad taste - rap, americana, metal, blues, funk, soul, folk ....... So I'd like to think I could find something. I suspect there was plenty of great stuff going on, but it wasn't the televised bit, but rather the smaller stages.

Having watched said programme on Sky Arts I'd say The Admirals assessment was bang on.

Caribou and Alt-J are particularly awful.

Do these bands not know how to engage an audience. The looked amateurish. Even the Manics were very meh!They all looked like they couldn't wait to get off stage.