Why become a member? ×

Virtual Bands

Leonard Smalls

I've recently discovered that there's software which will play along with you and even add a solo in almost any given style...
Is it basically just a question of inputting a time sig,keys/melody, style, instruments and type of sound and off you go or is it complex programming or full musical notation?
And if so, which are best?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

One of the pieces of software like this is Band In A Box (BIAB). I don't have it myself, but Paul Wolfe from How to Play Bass.com has featured it a few times as being useful, he seems to be a great fan of it. As far as I can remember from the tutorials, yes, you input all of the things you have mentioned, and I think it's quite easy, not complex nor full notation, but don't quote me on it. Here's the link to the website: [url="http://www.pgmusic.com"]http://www.pgmusic.com[/url]

Hope this helps (not a user),

regards

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1438413699' post='2834296']
I've recently discovered that there's software which will play along with you and even add a solo in almost any given style...
Is it basically just a question of inputting a time sig,keys/melody, style, instruments and type of sound and off you go or is it complex programming or full musical notation?
And if so, which are best?
[/quote]

I use Band In A Box 2013 (BIAB...), and have done since the Atari days. There has been much progress and refinement since then. I can enter chords, or import MIDI, and create whole arrangements, including solo parts from guitars, saxes, pedal steels and more. There is an extensive library of styles, but it can get quite expensive quite quickly if you want 'em all.
I use it as a composing tool, and, although the final quality is excellent in its styles, it's more a source of 'spare parts' and samples for me, as I export MIDI lines or WAV files from soloists or backing instruments. Several of my entries (about 1/3..?) in the monthly Challenge have had a part or two coming from there. Not much that I do sounds like a Casio keyboard from the 80's (I wish..!). It's an integral part of my 'pica-studio', but I'd get bored quickly enough if I only had [i]that [/i]as a tool. To resume, it's very, very useful, but one has to weigh up its cost, including the libraries, if you want to have the maximum benefit. I'm very much a fan, so may be biased a little.
The later versions are even better, I'm sure, but my poor old PC won't take any more punishment, as it, too, is rather old and doddery.
Hope this helps; I can expand on the subject a little, if required.

I have used Band In A Box in the past quite successfully for demoing songs. Can't say I use it nowadays because I am in a different space composing-wise but It is a great tool for sketchng ideas and trying things out. A means to an end and not an end in itself.

Not a BIAB user myself, but as said above, it does have good uses and would be great
for getting quick ideas down, or indeed developing into something more serious.

The Casio reference is outdated, by several years.
General Midi sounds is not what BIAB is about these days.
I believe it uses tracks with 'Real' Musicians playing (as well as midi of course).

[size=4]I’ve never used such software myself, but it sounds interesting.[/size]

[size=4]The closest I’ve experienced is the ‘jamming’ mode on the computer game Rocksmith [i](itself a surprisingly fun little practice tool)[/i], which allows you to play accompanied by a virtual band that does its best to match your tempo, melody, etc. It’s fun when it works; but it’s a pain when the ‘band’ lags behind the playing, which always causes me to trip up. Yeah, I blame the tools! :P[/size]

[size=4]I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before these sorts of products become more natural and 'human'...[/size]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1439203838' post='2840724']...
I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before these sorts of products become more natural and 'human'...
[/quote]

A attended an Atari-Fest in Germany, back then, and, amongst other stands there was a demonstration of some MIDI software (I think it was called 'Tangerine', or something similar...). It was piloted by a fellow playing, 'live', an acoustic trombone kitted out for MIDI, which was fed into the Atari and triggered, on the whim of the player, very realistic backing. With pre-arranged 'trigger' notes, he could get the tempo to change, or influence the 'swing' of the backing; it sounded very convincing indeed. This was 30 years ago. I watched him for ages; he just kept belting it out, and was obviously having a great time.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1439364780' post='2842108']
Excellent!
I'm quite tempted now...
I assume you can isolate and import instruments individually?
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]
Indeed, each instrument may be exported in one of several formats, including WAV and, in most cases, MIDI.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1439365265' post='2842115']
The only problem is that I can't find out if it works on Windows 10 or not...
[/quote]

Can't help there, I'm afraid, but their web site should be able to reply to that..?

[url="http://www.pgmusic.com/"]PG Music Inc (BIAB...) ...[/url]