Why become a member? ×

To go wireless ..or not..

Chaos Daveo

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1438467503' post='2834787']
So we all got wireless kits and that all stopped. So I`d say only really practical in small venues if you have a clumsy band.
Oh, good for soundchecks though - you can walk right to the back of the venue and hear the mix which does help a fair bit.
[/quote]

There two points are the winners. First one even if noone is all that clumsy. on a small stage the fewer cables running around the better. Our singer, however, has a knack for treading on stuff, tripping over stuff and generally making me nervous when he's near anything breakable.
Sound check is pretty crucial if you've not got a proper engineer doing it someone needs to go listen and asking a mate/punter is usually useless.

As an adherent to the 'stand there motionless and play, hopefully looking a bit moody'™ school of bass playing, I can't see much benefit for me. Plus it's another thing to carry and set up.

I am also an analog snob (for which read: self-imposed limitation), and most wireless systems are now digital, so that's another no.

But if it works for you, go for it, you won't hear me criticising (and I won't even be [i]thinking[/i] bad things about you).

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1438536466' post='2835272']
I am also an analog snob (for which read: self-imposed limitation), and most wireless systems are now digital, so that's another no.
[/quote]

if there's one thing where digital clearly outperforms analog that's wireless instrument signal transmitters/receivers :)
analog wireless systems were just... not very good.

I did go wireless for a while (Samson Airline) as I found the lead kept getting snagged around the PK5 pedals but then I joined a band that I didn't use them in and went back to a lead. Now back to using the PK5's again and assumed I'd get the wireless kit back out but so far, for reasons I'm not sure, I don't seem to be running into the same issues with the lead and it's something less I have to plug in the mains so for the time being at least I'm sticking with the lead. It's long enough for me to go out front for a sound check, never really been one for wandering among the masses while playing. From a punters POV I think it looks a bit naff in pubs and clubs.

Edited by KevB

Ive been wireless since 2009ish, and would never go back, for all the reasons listed above. Ive used the same Sennheiser setup and it is totally reliable, no noticeable change in tone from being hard-wired with a cable, and is light and compact. Great range too.

I went wireless for a while years ago, stopped using it, then a couple of years ago got a Line 6 G50. I don't bother with it at rehearsals, which always remind me why I like using it as I get the lead tangled round my legs or stuck under the chair yet again. Also useful for soundchecking and the odd bit of posing. It does mean slightly more setting up time but I use a DC extension lead cable-tied to my jack-jack lead so I can plug the power supply in where I plug the amp in (same for the Zoom effects unit) so I don't have to go hunting a convenient mains socket to run the receiver from.

I've had my G30 for several years and swear by it-if I was buying another I'd get a G50, but that's only because the transmitter is metal and not plastic. I have a leather holder which I knocked up myself from an old strap, so I never use the clip. The battery compartment is, I grant you, a bit hard work to close, the latch is always reluctant to engage and requires a bit of pressure on the case, but it always goes eventually and I've got used to it. I have a small, lightweight amp and it removes the risk of pulling it off the speaker, plus the risk of stepping on the lead and damaging the jack socket, which I've had happen. I like the isolation from potentially dodgy electrics too, but it's just the complete freedom of movement I like. Only takes me a minute to set it up.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1438705233' post='2836567']
If you haven't, take a look at the Smoothhound. It's about the same price as a Line 6 G30, half the size, has a metal transmitter and the battery life is much much better.
[/quote]

looks good!

but it doesn't seem to have a channel selector... what do you do if you have two (or 4) people in the band using these?

I'm toying with the idea, as my metal band are at the stage where we get to play venues where it's easier to run around a bit. Both guitarists have them and to be honest, neither of them really need one, apart from the standing on their own leads thing, as they seldom move from their pedal boards.

The singer and I are frankly, MUCH more mobile, and so I'm considering going down the wireless route. Not convinced though, and as the newcomer I'd have to find one that works with the existing frequencies we use.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1438717610' post='2836693']
looks good!

but it doesn't seem to have a channel selector... what do you do if you have two (or 4) people in the band using these?
[/quote]
Adaptive channel selection allows you to use up to 4 of these at a time without having to configure or select anything.

After thinking about going wireless for many years I have finally bought a G30 via a wanted ad on here. Rehearsed for the 1st time with it today and am very impressed with the sound quality, range and freedom it allows. Looking forward to gigging with it this weekend and being able to check out the sound from the audiences perspective.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1438724799' post='2836783']
Adaptive channel selection allows you to use up to 4 of these at a time without having to configure or select anything.
[/quote]

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that part.
That sounds alright then!
I like the design much more than the G30, I have to say. If it performs similarly (or better) that would be hard to beat!

I had a flyer throughout the door the other day stating that Maplins are now doing the Alesis Guitarlink Wireless system for £35.
Don't know if that's of any use to anyone wanting to dip a toe in the murky waters of wireless technology though.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/alesis-guitarlink-wireless-system-a39ta

I went wireless a few weeks ago after years of gigging with leads. Even though I haven't gone wandering all over the stage or through the audience (yet), the feeling of freedom and not worrying about leads is great. Even after a short time I wouldn't go back. Like many, I've got a Line6 g30 and it seems to do the business. Just ordered a neotech wireless pouch to make it more secure on the strap as I find myself checking the transmitter during the set. The sound quality FOH seems unaffected but I occasionally get a slight interference in my IEMs depending on where I'm standing. I hope to find a solution to this as time goes on.