Why become a member? ×

Warwick Fortress One

clovick

Hi guys; looking for a bit of advice. have a 1993 Warwick Fortress One which is need of a bit of TLC. The neck needs adjusting to get rid of a couple of string buzzes and also it needs a new jack input. What I'm thinking is, should I also replace the pickups while I'm at it. It's a lovely bass to play but it sounds tired, a bit lifeless, even with a new set of strings. Any ideas or comments welome.

I'd recommend looking at pickup and string experiments - if you want something new - but only after replacing or repairing the [s]instrument[/s] parts that are dodgy, and getting it nice and clean and properly set up (by yourself or someone else, as long as it plays great).

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='clovick' timestamp='1438488495' post='2834841']
Hi guys; looking for a bit of advice. have a 1993 Warwick Fortress One which is need of a bit of TLC. The neck needs adjusting to get rid of a couple of string buzzes and also it needs a new jack input. What I'm thinking is, should I also replace the pickups while I'm at it. It's a lovely bass to play but it sounds tired, a bit lifeless, even with a new set of strings. Any ideas or comments welome.
[/quote]

Warwick are great basses and pups dont really get worn out. If I were you I'd take one step at a time.

Firstly, set it up right and get rid of the buzz. There are some good videos on YouTube for how to set up a Warwick. It's a bit more involved than a Fender style bass, but worth doing.

Next, what's wrong with the jack? Have you tried cleaner spray? If you need a new jack, you can get one from Warwick; to be sure of having the right one.

Lastly, test it all and see how it goes. Keep posting here with any questions and tell us how its going. I envy you. I'd love to de doing up an old Warwick.

I switched pups on my SS1 to barts - for me, much nicer. What were you thinking of sticking in?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1438495668' post='2834857']
Next, what's wrong with the jack? Have you tried cleaner spray? If you need a new jack, you can get one from Warwick; to be sure of having the right one.

[/quote]

Warwick jacks are notorious for getting a bit rubbish by the time the bass is 20 years old.
Any stereo barral jack will work and a nice Nutrick will be as good/better and probably cheaper than anything Warwick will sell you.

Do you have the passive Dynamic Correction MEC pickups?
I and several people on the Warwick forum found them underwhelming, I replaced mine with active EMGs, which I think improved things.One of the other Warwick forum members used passive Barts and felt it transformed the bass.

As previously suggested, get the setup correct first, pickup to string clearance can affect your tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes too low an action can lead to a dull lifeless bass. Another factor to explore is the pickup height from strings. I like the tone of my passive Warwick MEC 'Dynamic Correction' (whatever that means beyond market speak) pickups but they certainly underwhelm in terms of output.