Why become a member? ×

Cilla Black RIP

leschirons

I'll always remember as a young student in the summer of 1976 who considered myself extremely cool, going down from Newcastle to visit my parents in Sussex. My dad had got tickets for us to see Cilla at The Congress Theatre in Eastbourne. What, Cilla, not Zeppelin or Zappa!

Anyway, we went along and she knocked me out; fantastic voice, brilliant stage presence, and those wonderful songs from the 60s that I remembered so well. I felt more than a little chastened by my attitude. This was before she became a TV star.

I hope they re-broadcast the Sheridan Smith series, I thought it was excellent.

I must admit I have never been able to stand Cilla Black's voice, and have often used the fact that my father-in-law thinks she's fantastic as the absolute benchmark of his abject lack of musicality. Seriously, I've heard more melodious noises when I've trodden on the cat.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1438756688' post='2836874']
Well out of order IMO.

When someone dies it's not the time or place for joking.

I think "respect" is the word.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, the death of a celebrity opens the floodgates for jokes.

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1438727725' post='2836811']
I must admit I have never been able to stand Cilla Black's voice, and have often used the fact that my father-in-law thinks she's fantastic as the absolute benchmark of his abject lack of musicality. Seriously, I've heard more melodious noises when I've trodden on the cat.
[/quote]While it is true she'd never have won X Factor, just like Paul Weller, Mark Knoffler etc, her voice had character, which is far more important, you always knew it was Cilla, I couldn't stand her TV shows either

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1438727725' post='2836811']
[/quote]
Shame, that in a thread titled "Cilla Black RIP" you felt the need to post the above!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1438729149' post='2836822']
"Slipped and died love" ?
[/quote]
Disappointing!

RIP Cilla