Why become a member? ×

Playing In Bands

wishface

If I was to start playing in bands again, which would be at the amateur level for now (:D), what sort of amp would I need?

Been a long time since i owned an amp, let alone joined a band. Would be nice to play with real people somehow, especially as a bass player.

Give us some idea of the type of band (which usually gives an idea of volume needed), other bassists tone which you lik, and most importantly, budget. From there I`m sure a lot of recommendations will follow, but to kick it off, I`d look at the Fender Rumble Series. Many different configurations to suit, reasonable on price, and they sound good.

Presumably if you were just starting out doing stuff, a combo would be good, easy to throw into the car and big enough to play at pub gigs. As above, the rumbles are good, I have a BG250-12 combo, light weight and powerful enough for the pubs I have played in.

I would have a look at something like this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Sweet-15-3-Bass-Amp-Combo-Amp-Bargain-/331616811601?hash=item4d35e6fa51

150 watts is plenty for small to medium size pubs etc, and at 24kilos it not a back breaker. :)

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1438542349' post='2835337']
Give us some idea of the type of band (which usually gives an idea of volume needed), other bassists tone which you lik, and most importantly, budget. From there I`m sure a lot of recommendations will follow, but to kick it off, I`d look at the Fender Rumble Series. Many different configurations to suit, reasonable on price, and they sound good.
[/quote]

I suppose rock - in some form or another, possibly prog.

I like quite a lot of music but i do like the idea of being the next geezer chris steve geddy :D (i've no idea what that means).

Any decent cab & amp or combo is going to be able to do the job. It's down to budget & what sort of sound you want. :)

For starting out, I'd say pick up a small decent 2nd hand combo for around the £100-200 area to get you going (maybe something like a SWR Workingmans, Genz Benz Contour or an Ashdown MAG), & then once you've played a bit with the band, you'll be in a better position to say what you're looking for.

IF you're flash with the cash, then go try some rigs out & find out if you want a big heavy Ampeg rig, a lightweight Markbass rig or something completely different.