Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS LITTLE MARK III... recommended settings please?

Greg.Bassman

Hi Greg,
Difficult one that.... I wouldn't describe The sound from Paul Turner, Nick Fyffe, or Stuart Zender as particularly clean, they all have a certain amount of "hair" to the notes, and that isn't what the Markbass head does (I can't comment on the newer heads though as they have a different power section), you'd probably have to go the pedal route, or if there's still time to send the head back go for a less " clean" head such as the TC rh450/750, Aguilar th350/500 etc. the LM iii is a great amp though, so you may find a work around.

Cheers Pete.

Set the amp flat & get the sound you want from your bass. Add fx if you like.
When I had mine, I had the VLE set about 9 o'clock as I liked the sound of it. I'd then adjust the amp to suit the room if needed (like rolling the bass or low mid back a smidge if needed (such as wooden stages).

What the MarkBass heads do do well is amplify whatever sounds you're making. :)

Thanks xgsjx, appreciate it mate.

Yes tbone, I agree. The VLE knob is great for that sort of thing; I've found that having it about 10 o'clock adds just the right amount of wool (for want of a better word lol) into the sound- (with a P Bass) is perfect for that space cowboy(ish) kinda vibe! :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1438555107' post='2835455']
Set the amp flat & get the sound you want from your bass. Add fx if you like.
When I had mine, I had the VLE set about 9 o'clock as I liked the sound of it. I'd then adjust the amp to suit the room if needed (like rolling the bass or low mid back a smidge if needed (such as wooden stages).

What the MarkBass heads do do well is amplify whatever sounds you're making. :)
[/quote]

That's pretty much what I do with mine, I don't use the VPF at all. I sometimes boost the high mids a bit.

Definitely be sparing with the filters. A bit of VLE just cuts your top end a little and that's OK, but the VPF (though it sounds great in isolation) will scoop your sound live and your definition will disappear. What sounds big and lush [i]in concert[/i] from a Markbass amp usually sounds a little 'middly' in isolation.

I run my LM250 Blackline dead flat with a literal smidge of VPF for a bit more pop and sparkle. Personally I don't use the VLE, not that it's bad, it's just not my bag tone wise. I find the Markbass sound complements my Jazz bass beautifully. Bloody great amps :)

Edited by 40hz