Why become a member? ×

Bloody Drummers!!!!

4-string-thing

So, a few rehearsals and one gig in and everything is going well. Loads of songs being suggested and learnt and we're almost at the stage of looking for paid pub gigs, with a view to starting in a few months. Til then, do a few open mic nights and maybe support slots. I suggest recording a demo, get some decent photo's and maybe a bit of a biog etc to help with said gigs, all good so far. Guitarist is keen but drummer remains very quiet. At last rehearsal, he mentioned he'd joined another band so was now in 4! I could have predicted what was about to happen, but said nothing...

Anyway, I got offered a very good deal by a local studio and was looking at dates to go in, drummer still says nothing, so I push him a bit which is when he tells me that he's leaving. Seems that he's more interested in the "psychedelic" band he's in than us (just sounds like badly played hippy dirge to me tbh) Bugger! We've got a spot at a plug in and play night this week....

This leads me up to where we stand at the minute. Auditioned a drummer last night, nice guy but a bit "tippy tappy" Got the impression that he thought he was too good for us (he plays bass and guitar as well) Neither me or the guitarist felt very comfortable and have pretty much decided that he's not our man (he also has other projects on the go) We have another guy auditioning on Wednesday, I know him and have played with him before, he loves our stuff and has no other bands on the go..... Great! He however, has just told me he now only has an electronic kit.... Great for practice but looks rubbish at gigs (we play 60's RnB) and is in his own words "a bugger to transport" Why can't things just be simple? Or am I worrying over nothing? (this has been known to be the case)

All we want is a half-decent drummer, who only wants to play in one band and who owns a smallish, appropriate kit! How hard can it be?

Rant over, sorry if it's a bit long!

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438595589' post='2835593']
All we want is a half-decent drummer, who only wants to play in one band and who owns a smallish, appropriate kit! How hard can it be?
[/quote]

The answer to that is 'very hard indeed'. Finding a decent drummer who isn't involved in several other projects is difficult. Finding a decent drummer who will commit to you exclusively is nigh-on impossible. And no decent drummer means no decent band.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438595589' post='2835593']
I know him and have played with him before, he loves our stuff and has no other bands on the go..... Great! He however, has just told me he now only has an electronic kit.... Great for practice but looks rubbish at gigs (we play 60's RnB) and is in his own words "a bugger to transport" Why can't things just be simple? Or am I worrying over nothing? (this has been known to be the case)
[/quote]

Can you say to him that an acoustic drum kit is a requirement? Then if he's still interested he knows he needs to go buy an acoustic kit.

A drummer I played with for a while used an electric kit and it just sounded bloody pants.

Ask him if he's willing to invest in an acoustic kit as you think it will suit your band image better. He can only say no. As Discreet says, good drummers are far harder to find than we like to think, so if you find one but he's involved in other projects don't let that put you off.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1438595939' post='2835598']
I think it's a bit of a tall order to ask for someone to be in just one band.
[/quote]

I don't think so. A good band should be able to find paying gigs every Friday and Saturday night. Since these are really the only nights worth playing (unless you are sharing the bill with someone very well known with a large following), anyone considering being in a good band won't really have time for another gigging band.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438603215' post='2835678']
Our drummer is only in one band. But that's because he's such a cantankerous git that no-one else could possibly put up with him - the miserable, boorish, anti-social, pessimistic, churlish, misanthropic old codger! But he's a really good drummer. :D
[/quote]

You play with ginger baker?

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438599008' post='2835632']
Actually Cheddatom, that thought had crossed my mind... I would probably be happy to fund a small, cheap kit and store it at my place for him. He is loaded though, and he has a much bigger house than me! :(
[/quote]

I managed to find a Yamaha DT kit off eBay for £80 recently, with Tama stands and a good Pearl pedal. No snare, but picked up a black Maple Mapex for £50, so a full kit for £130. The cymbals could be better, but it's certainly giggable and a drummer mate of mine pronounced it "a cracking little kit". Bought from a guy who plays drums himself, but this was his daughters kit - and she was upgrading. If it doesn't work out, you'd get your money back on something like that easily I would think, although our drumming members would know best. Dad3353 was a font of advice when I was looking, and gave me some great pointers.

The amount of kits which have been bought as presents for kids by wealthier parents in the £499 and up bracket, which you see on eBay, amazed me. They just get bored, and mum wants it out of the way, so it goes on eBay for peanuts. Lots of bargains to be had if you are careful, and it's not all Chinese starter stuff.

[attachment=197769:one man band.jpg]
A good drummer will be in several bands so commitment's always an issue. I have some friends who's drummer gigs with a more lucrative project on 'good' nights so he's only available to them weekdays or Sundays.
I know it's anathema to me and probably a lot of people but drummers are gonna start being replaced by nice boxes with Roland written on them, and (old joke) you only have to punch the instructions in once!

Our band has been around for 3 years, and we're on the lookout for drummer no.5.

They start, gig, and then leave! We've played with well over 10 in that time if we include the deps.

As a former/resting drummer myself, our latest search has yielded such little response, I even considered doing it myself and getting another bassist. Backed out, though, as I can't face the prospect of buying all the gear - again - and having to get 'match fit' - ie practice - as I've not gigged for around 7 years. I used to combine bass and drum duties (in different bands obviously).

As a result, I suppose I'm quite demanding of drummers - ie I expect them to be able to play - which some of our previous applicants simply could not do. One idiot was very hard to hear - he informed us that on occasion, he forgets to use his bass drum! Unbelievable!

I did actually quit a band once over a poor drummer, I simply refused to gig with him as his standard was again, beyond bad. I'm not expecting Neil Peart to turn up, but someone who can at least get through a 4/4 song.....to much to ask?! :(

Going against the grain a little here. We've found electronic drums to be very handy indeed, as we play can play venues where volume has been an issue in the past. Also, as we haven't had to combat the sound levels of acoustic drums, it makes harmonising so much easier, enabling us to do more complex vocals.

But not everyone's cup of tea..

Anyone any good will be in demand... once it is known they are taking gigs.

And if they are any good, they'll have better offers than a pub date. But if the band is decent, then
you should be able to pay him £80 a gig and that might focus his mind a bit.

Outline the plan... £250 for 2x45 min fee..and split 3 ways.
If your new guy wants to play... buy him a kit..or he can buy his own and you can get those gigs.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1438601479' post='2835668']
I don't think so. A good band should be able to find paying gigs every Friday and Saturday night. Since these are really the only nights worth playing (unless you are sharing the bill with someone very well known with a large following), anyone considering being in a good band won't really have time for another gigging band.
[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438629050' post='2835949']
Anyone any good will be in demand... once it is known they are taking gigs.

And if they are any good, they'll have better offers than a pub date. But if the band is decent, then
you should be able to pay him £80 a gig and that might focus his mind a bit.

Outline the plan... £250 for 2x45 min fee..and split 3 ways.
If your new guy wants to play... buy him a kit..or he can buy his own and you can get those gigs.
[/quote]

Pubs round here don't generally pay £250, I was aiming for £180 between the 3 of us....

I have seen him play a gig with his electronic kit, it sounded ok but looked really naff. I know it's only a pub covers band, but we are trying to portray a bit of an image (somewhere between The Animals and Dr Feelgood)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1438629346' post='2835951']
I refer you to the comment of the late, great Reg Presley: 'F**kin' drummers, I f**kin' s**t 'em!'
[/quote]

Indeed!

Thing is, I don't want to be gigging that often, so one band is enough for me, same with the guitarist. I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't want to be out every weekend either. It's just we are reluctant to share "our" drummer because sooner or later it will cause a problem when dates clash.

JTUK, you're right, try asking The Big Figure to play an electronic kit and see what happens!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438636886' post='2836069']
Thing is, I don't want to be gigging that often, so one band is enough for me, same with the guitarist. I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't want to be out every weekend either. It's just we are reluctant to share "our" drummer because sooner or later it will cause a problem when dates clash.
[/quote]
[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1438667599' post='2836164']
You don't want to be gigging that often, yet you want a "decent" drummer to commit to you alone.
[/quote]

Objectively I'd say that a drummer who doesn't want to be out every weekend isn't any kind of a drummer at all - but subjectively I have had real-world experience of a really fantastic drummer who just wanted to rehearse once a week and wasn't actually that bothered about doing gigs at all. So they are out there. Or at least, IME there's ONE out there... :D

Edited by discreet