Why become a member? ×

I ripped the law and the law one

wishface

What do people think (assuming it hasn't already been discussed) of the recent change in the law, fought for by the esteemed sages at the Musicians Union, wherein it is now illegal to rip a cd for personal use.

So, for example, I've recently been getting back into buying CD's, which i consider to be a good thing, as a fan of music. Unfortunately this law means that, if i want to listen to that content on anything but a CD player (which in my case would be my pc), I am breaking the law. To put those albums, brought brand new and legally from a reputable high street shop called HMV, I would have to rip them to download to my tablet and my mp3 player. This is illegal.

Who else thinks this, to be blunt, is monumentally and arse-clenchingly stupid?

EDIT: I hate predictive text

Edited by wishface

I can imagine the scene as the Police dispatch worker gets the call. Send an ARU, Nobby Fishcake has compromised Beyoncé's earnings by 0.00001p. Ripping has always been illegal. As a criminal justice worker, I cannot recall many prosecutions.

It seems to me to be a pretty unenforceable law, so just ignore it.

Most times you buy a cd off amazon they give you a free download of the album. If you buy my cd or vinyl off bandcamp then you also a free download, much like most other people selling CDs on there.

Eh? Isn't it the other way around? Ripping, like taping before it, had been illegal for yonks, but the government has recently said it is (or will be) OK to rip for personal/family use. This is the case in a lot of other countries, with the exception that there there's some compensation for the creators. The recent campaign by the artists' representative bodies has succeeded in getting something back for the creators (how remains to be seen) to bring us in line with general practice.

Addendum, here's a summary from BASCA's website:

[color=#006400]The UK Government introduced measures in October 2014 to change the law to enable people to copy copyright material they have lawfully acquired for their own private and personal use, under the ‘Copyright and Rights in Performances (Personal Copies for Private Use) Regulations 2014’.[/color]

[color=#006400]The EU Copyright Directive permits Member States such as the UK to introduce such exceptions into domestic law, but on the condition that rightholders receive fair compensation where more than minimal harm is suffered.[/color]

[color=#006400]BASCA, the Musicians’ Union and UK Music applied for Judicial Review in November 2014. The High Court announced on 19th June 2015 that the Government had acted unlawfully. By quashing the regulations the High Court has now decided that the measures introduced in October 2014 are no longer in force.[/color]

So it was legal from October 2014 up until a few weeks ago. Now the ball's back in the government's court to come up with a scheme that includes rightholders' compensation.

Edited by ras52

I suppose it all depends on whether one cares to observe this particular 'law' or not. And anyway, does it matter what a swarm of hand wringing commie trade unionists thinks?

The greater likelihood is that most citizens will be completely unaware of this change and it will make sod-all difference.

So it's illegal to rip a CD so you can copy it to your MP3 player of choice, but it's OK to download said album and have it on as many devices as you wish? What a load of old dangly bits. To think that court and parliamentary time has been 'wasted' on this. Oh well, how else will corporate lawyers scratch a living?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1438621952' post='2835856']
I can imagine the scene as the Police dispatch worker gets the call. Send an ARU, Nobby Fishcake has compromised Beyoncé's earnings by 0.00001p. Ripping has always been illegal. As a criminal justice worker, I cannot recall many prosecutions.
[/quote]Well not quite; you could rip discs you own for personal use (such as downloading to other devices). Now you can't. That's the point I'm arguing and that's the point that makes bugger all sense. In the last two weeks i've broken this law 15 times (allegedly :D)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1438622146' post='2835858']
Eh? Isn't it the other way around? Ripping, like taping before it, had been illegal for yonks, but the government has recently said it is (or will be) OK to rip for personal/family use. This is the case in a lot of other countries, with the exception that there there's some compensation for the creators. The recent campaign by the artists' representative bodies has succeeded in getting something back for the creators (how remains to be seen) to bring us in line with general practice.

Addendum, here's a summary from BASCA's website:

[color=#006400]The UK Government introduced measures in October 2014 to change the law to enable people to copy copyright material they have lawfully acquired for their own private and personal use, under the ‘Copyright and Rights in Performances (Personal Copies for Private Use) Regulations 2014’.[/color]

[color=#006400]The EU Copyright Directive permits Member States such as the UK to introduce such exceptions into domestic law, but on the condition that rightholders receive fair compensation where more than minimal harm is suffered.[/color]

[color=#006400]BASCA, the Musicians’ Union and UK Music applied for Judicial Review in November 2014. The High Court announced on 19th June 2015 that the Government had acted unlawfully. By quashing the regulations the High Court has now decided that the measures introduced in October 2014 are no longer in force.[/color]

So it was legal from October 2014 up until a few weeks ago. Now the ball's back in the government's court to come up with a scheme that includes rightholders' compensation.
[/quote]The rights holders have been compensated. I brought the discs legally.

What I do with those discs privately is not their business IMO. The expectation that people pay for an additional digital copy is bonkers.

Provided you don't walk up and down the street with a placard and a loudhailer telling everyone what you've done, the chances of anyone being prosecuted are somewhere around the zero area.

I suspect this latest bit of legislation is part of a bigger picture that will become apparant as the years go by.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1438628195' post='2835938']
The rights holders have been compensated. I brought the discs legally.

What I do with those discs privately is not their business IMO. The expectation that people pay for an additional digital copy is bonkers.
[/quote]

You can do what you like with the discs. Put them in your CD player, use them as coasters or substitute clay pigeons. The discs are your property and when you are done with them you can sell them on. What you don't ever own is the music/data encoded on there. For that you only have a licence to use within given parameters that ought to be clearly stated on the CD or the accompanying booklet.

In reality though this new law is completely and utterly unworkable. If I was an MU member I'd be demanding to know who had wasted union money on this especially since it doesn't really benefit the kinds of musicians who make up the active body of the union as they are rarely the majority rights holders of recorded music.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1438630407' post='2835961']
Half the CD's you can buy via Amazon are sold with a 'free' mp3 download so it seems a bit nonsensical, end result exactly the same.
[/quote]

I've got autoripped MP3 copies in my Amazon "library" of CDs that I bought as gifts for other people - so Amazon have broken the law on my behalf! :blink:

It's totally unworkable and sends out completely the wrong message.

From what I read the whole issue was that the music industry said they'd not been compensated for loss of revenue from this new law (that permitted ripping). The figure was something like £58m. They'd have never seen that anyway.

The result is that the industry had made itself look greedy, vindictive and actively going after people who have actually bought music.

I agree with BRX, it's baffling as to why the Musicians Union got involved with this. I think their efforts would be better focused on getting artists a better deal from labels regards streaming.

You can write to the label and artist to request authorisation to make a cassette copy or to put it onto your iPod. If every music listener wrote a letter every single time they wanted to do this, the rights holders would change their... err... tune very quickly.