Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

I bought some 45 - 105s (I think) a year or so back (the ones with the green silks) and they were seriously high tension... like really really high tension :blink: they hardly moved when you plucked then, also needed to adjust the trussrod as they were pulling the neck into a forward bow.

I actually have a new set kicking around somewhere, but they really didn't work for me, if you fancy having a go you're welcome to them, PM me your address and I'll stick them in the post... they are very tight though!

Edited by CamdenRob

The 50-100 set is really good and I have used it on several different basses. I'm currently using La Bella flats, but of course they are three times the price. I think Fender flats are somewhat underrated though, the 50-100 set is well-balanced output-wise and I don't think you'll have any problems.

Edited by discreet

Very growly tone compared to other flats. They have great longitivity and intonation. The now-discontinued "CL" set (45-60-80-105) was my favourite flat set ever after 40 years of playing. Now you can only get the "L" set (45-60-80-100), but Fender does not sell singles, so I can't get a 105, so I went to tapewounds instead to get the feel I wanted.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1438982903' post='2839259']
Very growly tone compared to other flats. They have great longitivity and intonation. The now-discontinued "CL" set (45-60-80-105) was my favourite flat set ever after 40 years of playing. Now you can only get the "L" set (45-60-80-100), but Fender does not sell singles, so I can't get a 105, so I went to tapewounds instead to get the feel I wanted.
[/quote]
Why don't you buy Chromes singles - they're the same string.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439036031' post='2839539']
Why don't you buy Chromes singles - they're the same string.
[/quote]

I don't think they are. While D'Addario have made flatwounds for a couple of different companies including Fender, they seem to have a slightly different recipe for each. The windings don't look the same and people report that they sound different.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 3 weeks later...