Why become a member? ×

Is Keef right, Sgt Peppers is a load of tosh?

PaulWarning

It's just another opinion same as anyone else's to which he's entitled. As usual, the sales figures speak for themselves as to what the majority thought at the time and whether it was considered a load of tosh but I suppose we have to respect the opinion of a successful long standing rocker who can't cope with damping a 6th E string :huh:

I think it's one of those "you had to be there" albums. I was only six at the time, and I heard it a decade or so later. I can imagine how it blew people's socks off at the time. To me it sounds a bit soulless in comparison with what came before and after... they nailed it on side 2 of Abbey Road!

It was released 48 years ago. It was one of the very first concept albums, the first to have no gaps between songs, the first to have lyrics printed on the cover and the first gatefold sleeve. It was one of the very first to include signal processing as a creative process, the idea of producer as an effective member of the band, and one of the first to use extensive multi-track recording. It was made as a studio album with no intention of ever having the band play it live, so could go anywhere, and did. In short, it was completely groundbreaking and started the cult of the pop/rock album. It was the benchmark to which subsequent bands compared their own output.

I first heard it ten years after its release when I started to really properly listen to music and it blew my little teenage mind. So much music has been released since then it's easy to forget how unusual and how startlingly original this album was. In my view it has stood the test of time and still sounds very fresh and original even now.

I love Keef, but if he said this then he's talking out of his arse. Jealous, much..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438853537' post='2837952']

I love Keef, but if he said this then he's talking out of his arse. Jealous, much..?
[/quote]

It took me all of 10 minutes to even remember the title of The Stones idea of a psychedelic album. and I dont know anyone who actually bought it. So yeah, might be sour grapes.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438853537' post='2837952']
It was released 48 years ago. It was one of the very first concept albums, the first to have no gaps between songs, the first to have lyrics printed on the cover and the first gatefold sleeve. It was one of the very first to include signal processing as a creative process, the idea of producer as an effective member of the band, and one of the first to use extensive multi-track recording. It was made as a studio album with no intention of ever having the band play it live, so could go anywhere, and did. In short, it was completely groundbreaking and started the cult of the pop/rock album. It was the benchmark to which subsequent bands compared their own output.
[/quote]

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1438851085' post='2837905']
It's just another opinion same as anyone else's to which he's entitled. As usual, the sales figures speak for themselves as to what the majority thought at the time and whether it was considered a load of tosh but I suppose we have to respect the opinion of a successful long standing rocker who can't cope with damping a 6th E string :huh:
[/quote]
Always be wary of using sales figures as an argument for quality, especially as Spice Girls and Shania Twain both have albums that have sold more!

I was 14 when this came out. The signs had been there in 'Rubber Soul' TBH, but this album was unlike anything I'd ever heard. 'Cataclysmic' is not too strong a word for me. It remains one of my favourite albums of all time, and is by common consent one of the defining events in rock music history.

Keef '[i]oh by the way we've got an album coming out soon[/i]' Richards is talking complete and utter bollox.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1438857662' post='2838029']
If you listen to it with headphones, you can hear a squeak every time Ringo hits his bass drum pedal.
[/quote]

Ah, real drums! Those were the days!
And its probably Paul McCartney...

I thought George Martin played the drums on that album? And keyboards, of course. And brass and woodwind. And probably some guitar. In fact, I don't think The Beatles were much involved, especially seeing as Paul was dead anyway.