Why become a member? ×

Is Keef right, Sgt Peppers is a load of tosh?

PaulWarning

Music on the radio is a sort of backdrop to most peoples lives.

As I see it, everyone is influenced by what they have heard during their life. Anyone my age, who grew up listening to what was on the radio pre Radio 1, and before independent radio in the UK, will probably remember hearing a much wider variety of music than younger people.
Probably, like myself, they will remember lyrics and melodies to all sorts of stuff which, if they didnt actually listen to or like, will be embedded in their brains. There was only the Light Program after all, with its 3 way Family Favourites, Val Doonican, and Billy Cotton Band Shows.
So the Beatles, like all of us will have had a wide range of influences, some of it pretty uncool. but as you rarely hear The Beatles on the radio anymore, younger people will surely be influenced by bands who were influenced by bands who were influenced by them. So really, theyre no more influenced by The Beatles than by anyone that came before them, if you see what I mean.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439741206' post='2845385']
All the rock bands I grew up listening to said Led Zep was their main influence. I doubt The Beatles influenced Jimmy Page and co.
[/quote]

[quote]I was reading a book about Led Zeppelin’s fourth album called “When the Levee Breaks. Their 8 song fourth album became the biggest and baddest from beginning to end of all rock albums. And the interesting thing is that James Taylor’s “Something In the Way She Moves” may be connected to “Stairway To Heaven” via “Something” by the Beatles. Also, Zeppelin was inspired by a Fleetwood Mac song called “Oh, Well,” that “Black Dog” is derived from. In addition, “Rock and Roll” is close in spirit to another Fleetwood Mac song of the time, though the name escapes me.
Back to the story: John Bonham had run into George Harrison at a party just before Zeppelin was getting ready to do the album at Hedley Grange, a former orphanage located on the coast of south England. Harrison told Bonham that his band was great, but they had no ballads.
So Bonham went back to Jimmy Page and told him about Harrison’s comment. At this time, the band had been at their cottage in Wales called Bron-y-Ur (golden breast in Welsh) in the mystical Black Mountains. Robert Plant had been steeping himself in the Celtic mythology to mine for material for the new album, and was coming up with the lyrics for Stairway To Heaven, and other classics that refer to the days of Merlin and King Arthur in allusion and other artistic devices.
So Jimmy Page began tinkering with a riff loosely based on the single note descending in “Something,” though he sped up the tempo of the beat. And “Something” is in C major, whereas “Stairway” is in Am. So the next time you hear either song, there’s that descending note. [url="http://jamesfortunephotography.com/tag/stairway-to-heaven-john-bonham/"]Source[/url] [/quote]

If ever two songs sounded eerily similar it would be 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' (off LZ1 and recorded about a month later in 1968).

The [i]less [/i]eerily similar 'In a Broken Dream' was recorded about 8 months later in April 1969 with Rod Stewart on session lead vocals. Stewart re-recorded the song in 1992 with John Paul Jones on bass...

[size=3][i]Edit: Rest of utterly pedantic post removed. Far too dull.[color=#ffffff].[/color][/i][/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1439682053' post='2845024']
I assume it is because Blue believes that if you don't like the music he likes, you aren't allowed to like any music. Which is a bit of a disappointing attitude.
[/quote]

Sort of, however I think every Pop or Rock band from 1964 forward in some way was influenced by the Beatles. I think all rock was influenced by the blues, so there's your Stones connection.

Blue

IMO, most albums that were truly ground-breaking also age very badly because they inspired a legion of imitators which in turn stimulate creativity and innovation within their milieu. In turn, the original idea is refined, replicated and polished in a variety of ways; some better and some less good than the original.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1439682053' post='2845024']
I assume it is because Blue believes that if you don't like the music he likes, you aren't allowed to like any music. Which is a bit of a disappointing attitude.
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440199689' post='2849121']
[b]Sort of[/b]
[/quote]
'Sort of' what? It's sort of what you believe, or it's sort of a disappointing attitude?

The [i]disappointing[/i] thing for me is the number of people who take a bit of trivial internet banter so damn seriously as to feel the need to 'challenge' Mr Blue's opinion in strenuous and somewhat personal terms.

I mean, do these chaps think that a grateful public (comprised in the main of mortally affronted 'young' people) will erect a statue to them, the plinth whereunder might bear the simple inscription '[i]He Fought For The Truth[/i]'.

Actually, it's not disappointing. It's dispiriting. And very dull.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1440268612' post='2849522']
The [i]disappointing[/i] thing for me is the number of people who take a bit of trivial internet banter so damn seriously as to feel the need to 'challenge' Mr Blue's opinion in strenuous and somewhat personal terms.

I mean, do these chaps think that a grateful public (comprised in the main of mortally affronted 'young' people) will erect a statue to them, the plinth whereunder might bear the simple inscription '[i]He Fought For The Truth[/i]'.

Actually, it's not disappointing. It's dispiriting. And very dull.
[/quote]

Cant argue with that. even if Keef does believe it himself. We dont know what the man really thinks though, do we ? He may not have really said anything of the sort, I can remember reading a 60s 'interview' of is where the thing he hated most was cross eyed people, and his favourite drink was milk. :P

Anyroad, here's something else for diehard beatles fans to get angry over

http://suckmybeatles.com/2009/11/29/reason-21-sgt-peppers-is-a-load-of-crap/

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1440273003' post='2849568']
Cant argue with that. even if Keef does believe it himself. We dont know what the man really thinks though, do we ? He may not have really said anything of the sort, I can remember reading a 60s 'interview' of is where the thing he hated most was cross eyed people, and his favourite drink was milk.

Anyroad, here's something else for diehard beatles fans to get angry over

[url="http://suckmybeatles.com/2009/11/29/reason-21-sgt-peppers-is-a-load-of-crap/"]http://suckmybeatles...a-load-of-crap/[/url]
[/quote]

That website's hilarious... :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440199689' post='2849121']
Sort of, however I think every Pop or Rock band from 1964 forward in some way was influenced by the Beatles. I think all rock was influenced by the blues, so there's your Stones connection.
[/quote]

As everything that ever existed was influenced by things that those people heard if you want to take it to that level. Therefore by that reasoning, if there is any music you don't like, you can't like any music. I don't mind blues that much (although not something I want to play), but I have never found anything the stones did interesting or been influenced by it. Maybe there is the influence of the stones bringing over some american blues there was influences on others (I found Zeppelin very influential), but not directly on me. Where they influenced by stones or beatles? who knows, or cares.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438853537' post='2837952']
It was released 48 years ago. It was one of the very first concept albums, the first to have no gaps between songs, the first to have lyrics printed on the cover and the first gatefold sleeve. It was one of the very first to include signal processing as a creative process, the idea of producer as an effective member of the band, and one of the first to use extensive multi-track recording. It was made as a studio album with no intention of ever having the band play it live, so could go anywhere, and did. In short, it was completely groundbreaking and started the cult of the pop/rock album. It was the benchmark to which subsequent bands compared their own output.

I first heard it ten years after its release when I started to really properly listen to music and it blew my little teenage mind. So much music has been released since then it's easy to forget how unusual and how startlingly original this album was. In my view it has stood the test of time and still sounds very fresh and original even now.

I love Keef, but if he said this then he's talking out of his arse. Jealous, much..?
[/quote]

This comment nails it for me. I adored SPLHCB as a teenager and listened to it over and over and over . Now, I wouldn't really sit down and listen to it as a piece. There are a few songs I still love but now I can find the whole thing a bit "Meh!" As a listener.

The album and all it represents has a unique place in the history of rock. It was a landmark, pivotal and a game changer. There can be no arguing with that. However, when the Wright Brothers got their flier off the ground at Kittyhawk it was a landmark, pivotal and a game changer too. Must admit, that if I'm off on my hols these days I'd much rather be flying on an Airbus or a Boeing 777!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1440396847' post='2850248']
This comment nails it for me. ...
[/quote]

For me also. I probaly heard all their previous albums within days of their original release.

Tosh? Keef has probably never played a Pink Floyd album then!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1440342535' post='2849938']
I don't mind blues that much (although not something I want to play), but I have never found anything the stones did interesting or been influenced by it.[/quote]

[i]"If your standing up playing in a rock band, doesn't matter what genre, you have been influenced by The Beatles at some level whether you know it or not."[/i] IMHO

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440473911' post='2851057']
[i]"If your standing up playing in a rock band, doesn't matter what genre, you have been influenced by The Beatles at some level whether you know it or not."[/i] IMHO

[/quote]
And therefore, by extension:
"If your (sic) standing up playing in a rock band, doesn't matter what genre, you have been influenced by the artists The Beatles were influenced by at some level whether you know it or not."
I don't believe any of this for a second, but hey we all have opinions. ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1440486108' post='2851098']
And therefore, by extension:
"If your (sic) standing up playing in a rock band, doesn't matter what genre, you have been influenced by the artists The Beatles were influenced by at some level whether you know it or not."
I don't believe any of this for a second, but hey we all have opinions. ;)
[/quote]

Well, if your playing in a rock band, you saw or heard something that made you want to play. Whatever, you heard or saw can be traced back to The Beatles, that's fact, not opinion.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440473911' post='2851057']

Blue
[/quote]
Equally you will have been influenced by Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters & Elvis (as indeed the Beatles were)...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1440550484' post='2851905']
Well, if your playing in a rock band, you saw or heard something that made you want to play. Whatever, you heard or saw can be traced back to The Beatles, that's fact, not opinion.
[/quote]

That's your opinion. I, personally, don't share it.