Why become a member? ×

Is Keef right, Sgt Peppers is a load of tosh?

PaulWarning

[b] "Is Keef right"?[/b]

No, he hasn't been [u][i]right[/i][/u] for many years :D

Sgt Peppers is an iconinc milestone album in the history of rock B)

Can you imagine Jagger singing - I'm fixing a hole where the rain comes in _ _ _ _ :o

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/AbbeyRoadmoving_zps1de8ff88.gif.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/AbbeyRoadmoving_zps1de8ff88.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438857836' post='2838031']
Ah, real drums! Those were the days! And its probably Paul McCartney...
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1438858020' post='2838035']
I thought George Martin played the drums on that album?
[/quote]

Touché! My clickbait parried with more clickbait! :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438863890' post='2838159']
If he was getting paid enough then yes.
[/quote]

Rowwwllllll!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438863965' post='2838160']
Richards also thinks Led Zeppelin are cr4p.
[/quote]

Really? Well that's that then, the man's obviously lost his remaining marble.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1438859029' post='2838059']
[url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/AbbeyRoadmoving_zps1de8ff88.gif.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Every once in a while I wish they'd stuck with the reputation button... Have one on me anyway. :i-m_so_happy:

I'd love to know what some people think of Keef (presuming we're talking that chap from the Rolling Stones and not Keef Hartley?)

I've long been unimpressed with icons who denigrate other bands - both Keef and Ian Anderson )separately) did this about one of my favourite ever bands on one of those bbc4 programmes - notably Ian suggesting the guitar solos were self indulgent and full of notes - hmmm I saw Ian Anderson live with Tull back in the early 70s and I would have said he gave an accurate self description.

Back to Keef - he is clearly wrong - FWIW I saw them in 1973 (I think) and thought they were past it being eclipsed by the support band (Billy Preston) - notably Jagger was out of breath after every lunge across the stage and missed the next line of vocals - the only saving grace was Mick Taylor on guitar who was superb. I have mellowed since and quite like them again - I suppose my experience was like seeing the Bay City Rollers in the 80s - an anachronism.

I much prefer Mick Fleetwood's take on things - he was waxing lyrical about King Crimson appearing at Hyde Park in the late 60s and said they were astonished at the musicianship - when asked about his own playing he said they kept things simple and in reality couldn't actually play the flash stuff (I guess they were a good unit and Peter Green was an awesome player). So a bit of honesty amongst icons like Keef wouldn't go amiss.

I still am fond of the Stones though and am glad I saw them in the short lived Mick Taylor era.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1438871897' post='2838283']
I'd love to know what some people think of Keef (presuming we're talking that chap from the Rolling Stones and not Keef Hartley?)

I've long been unimpressed with icons who denigrate other bands - both Keef and Ian Anderson )separately) did this about one of my favourite ever bands on one of those bbc4 programmes - notably Ian suggesting the guitar solos were self indulgent and full of notes - hmmm I saw Ian Anderson live with Tull back in the early 70s and I would have said he gave an accurate self description.

Back to Keef - he is clearly wrong - FWIW I saw them in 1973 (I think) and thought they were past it being eclipsed by the support band (Billy Preston) - notably Jagger was out of breath after every lunge across the stage and missed the next line of vocals - the only saving grace was Mick Taylor on guitar who was superb. I have mellowed since and quite like them again - I suppose my experience was like seeing the Bay City Rollers in the 80s - an anachronism.

I much prefer Mick Fleetwood's take on things - he was waxing lyrical about King Crimson appearing at Hyde Park in the late 60s and said they were astonished at the musicianship - when asked about his own playing he said they kept things simple and in reality couldn't actually play the flash stuff (I guess they were a good unit and Peter Green was an awesome player). So a bit of honesty amongst icons like Keef wouldn't go amiss.

I still am fond of the Stones though and am glad I saw them in the short lived Mick Taylor era.
[/quote]

The 73 tour was billed as probably their last, 2 shows at B'ham Odeon on the same night. How things changed by the 76 tour, which was also probably the last - with The Meters as support - I saw them at Stafford, place like a big cattle shed, more like a modern tour for a big name, but just as disappointing a performance.

[attachment=198025:10712896_725740124200006_8046612129508244300_n.jpg]

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1438858974' post='2838058']
Can you imagine Jagger singing - I'm fixing a hole where the rain comes in _ _ _ _ :o
[/quote]

He'd probably fix the hole by shoving a Mars Bar in it....

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438863965' post='2838160']
Richards also thinks Led Zeppelin are cr4p.
[/quote]

Cream apparently didn't think they were very good either...they didn't think the Stones were any good at all though :)