Why become a member? ×

NBD - Nate Mendel Precision Bass

Hobbayne

Still on the look out for a back up precision, I wandered into Wunjo.s and had a tinker with a few. I was offered one of these to look at and was a bit sceptical as i was not a fan of Mexican basses or signature models.

But I was pleasantly surprised. The neck is gorgeous as is the thump from the Quarterpounder pickup which is great.
My only gripe is the rather odd relicing which looks rather like a halfhearted attempt with the odd blemish here and there.
I would post pics but you all know what they look like. :D

I recently got one of these myself. I tried all the Fenders in the same price range and this one was the one that won my heart :blush:

But when I got it home, my wife said that the body finish was chipped and I should return it for a mint one. After explaining to her several times the concept of a relic, I still don`t think she gets it :rolleyes:

I`m not really a big Foo fan but this is just a great P bass, except for the new style Fender bridge that was binned almost right away for the BBOT.

Love every thing about these, the sound, feel, colour, very light relicing and being Mexican means they're super affordable too.
Wish they did a lefty model, even in the brief mess around with the right handed version it felt like a lovely bass.

Heard many good things about Mexi Fenders but even so I was still super impressed with the Nate Mendel, congrats! great purchase B)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1439064444' post='2839776']
I'll put some pics up tomorrow. But meanwhile, heres a stock picture. :D

[/quote]

I thought the Nate Mendel had a 70's TV logo?

I'm glad someone else is as happy using BBOT bridges as I am, can't go wrong!

Happy NBD!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1439108673' post='2839947']
I thought the Nate Mendel had a 70's TV logo?

I'm glad someone else is as happy using BBOT bridges as I am, can't go wrong!

Happy NBD!
[/quote]

Yes your right, the logo is wrong. This is what happens when you google for images and are too bone idle to check them properly. :D

I have tried to show the dodgy looking relicing. Its actually growing on me.

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1439463679' post='2843026']
Nice bass. Shame its wasted on Nate Mendel - a guy who plays 8th note roots whilst uncharismatically staring at the floor. Its not like he's got a hard job is it? Terrible bass player!
[/quote]

Which he freely and openly admits, and - to paraphrase McCartney, (or was it Lennon?), he's not even the best bass player in the Foo Fighters, as both Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett are very handy. That said, he's good enough for what they do, and he's clearly a nice guy, who the rest of the band like to have around : points on which many better players would fall down, I have no doubt. He gets a great tone from his P bass with a pick and the Ashdown rig too. I'd take the gig in a heartbeat!

Edited by The Admiral

Nice bass. Shame its wasted on Nate Mendel - a guy who plays 8th note roots whilst uncharismatically staring at the floor. Its not like he's got a hard job is it? Terrible bass player!
[/quote]

He wipes the floor with that fella from Coldplay though.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1439534114' post='2843572']
Just because someone is a fantastic and musically talented player , doesn't always make them the best
person for the job. Being a band member is about much more than technical ability.
[/quote]

Fair point. Fender also make a Dee Dee Ramone and a Adam Clayton bass. Both players are not flashy, but play for the song.

[/quote]

How to pointlessly hijack someone's happy NBD post! A wee bit jealousy here no?!

The bass looks splendid. I tried one when I got my new bass earlier in the year. Sounded immense and the neck is excellent. Very comfy.

Haha yes I am jealous! No, sorry for spoiling this post and yes, I agree what he does works for the band, I really just don't rate the guy at all. The only interesting bassline he ever had was the walking one on 'See You'..... and I'm not even sure he played that. (I think Dave Grohl played nearly all the instruments on 'Colour and the Shape'.)

Its the live situation where he really falls down. He doesn't even do BV's - he just stares at the floor looking bored. Thats the kind of bass playing that gives us all a bad name and is why the general public think that bass playing is just less less talented guitar playing wannabe's - an attitude that needs to be stamped out.....along with Nate!

Edited by Bassjon

• 3 weeks later...

Used it last night at rehearsal and was very pleased with the overall sound and feel of it.
I didnt really notice that much extra sustain generated by the Hi Mass bridge, although the Quarterpounder pickup had my Markbass 121 rattling around the floor like a demented spin dyer.
It comes with schaller straplocks (Or Similar) fitted as standard, so I only had to use my strap to clip on.
For some reason our guitarist thought the back of the headstock was actually signed by Nate Mendell personally.
However, When we rehearsed Times Like These, It still sounded like me :happy:

Well your thread convinced me to buy one too and I also have a CMD121 so you better be right!! If I don't sound like you or Nate then it's going straight back!😉

On a side note, the prices of these have just received a hefty hike on a lot of the major sites.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1441266704' post='2857301']
Well your thread convinced me to buy one too and I also have a CMD121 so you better be right!! If I don't sound like you or Nate then it's going straight back!

On a side note, the prices of these have just received a hefty hike on a lot of the major sites.
[/quote]

Yes, Mine was about £749 from Wunjos in London. But they took a Sub Sterling in part ex and threw in a set of strings of my choice (Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies) Which I will put on this weekend as i dont like the feel of the stock Fender strings.
A gig bag and some bottle top straplocks. So I only paid about £500

I have had one of these since they came out - I didn't have the bucks to buy a new one so I had to hustle like mad to get a reasonable priced second hand one as it was essential for my Foos tribute. I would use it even if I wasn't in the band as it is one of the nicest Precisions I have played, the neck is a bit narrower Jazz bass style and the thump from the Quarter pounders is awesome.

I also have an Japanese Aerodyne which is a fantastic bass and the only one that might choose on certain occasions where a more varied tone is needed.

I also reckon they will hold their value pretty well which is handy