Why become a member? ×

NBD - Nate Mendel Precision Bass

Hobbayne

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1439473002' post='2843141']Which he freely and openly admits, and - to paraphrase McCartney, (or was it Lennon?), he's not even the best bass player in the Foo Fighters, as both Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett are very handy.[/quote]

It was neither Paul nor John, but actually Jasper Carrott who came up with the line in 1983.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1441406848' post='2858764']

Me

https://instagram.com/p/1VtO4uOQWh/
[/quote] haha I've done the same to mine too and replaced the Quarter pounder with a Wizard trad which is more to my preference.

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1441442110' post='2858872']
haha I've done the same to mine too and replaced the Quarter pounder with a Wizard trad which is more to my preference.
[/quote]

I put an Aguilar p4 60's in, a fender bbot bridge (so I could fit the cover) and its wearing thomastiks.

New mutes fitted last week, sounds perfect.

https://instagram.com/p/694Yy4OQbg/

https://youtu.be/co7DQ-8qdfY (No mutes, just a very basic run through)

I think the Mexican instruments get a bad rap from earlier built basses but all of the MIMs i've tried recently have been top quality. Fender have clearly worked on their QC. I'd also like to think that they pay their Mex workers a decent wage too (maybe too much to hope there).

• 1 year later...

[quote name='SonnyBassPlayer' timestamp='1480449614' post='3184542']
LOL! That is my bass :D

I found it via google images and I was like... "when did I post it on basschat??!?"
[/quote]

Sorry mate. :blush: BTW you havent got the badass bridge on it. Did you not like it?

Edit. I re read the post from last year. Sorry mate. :)
BTW have you seen what these are going for now?? :blink:
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-nate-mendel-p-bass-candy-apple-red/75186?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6_TBBRDInaPjhcelt5oBEiQApPeTF8i47Z14HWdvavUUAhnTYhbYmukqOFi10eIVIL4mGJAaAsAX8P8HAQ

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1480452261' post='3184575']

Sorry mate. :blush: BTW you havent got the badass bridge on it. Did you not like it?

[/quote]

Erm hadn't you already decided a few posts back that this photo wasn't actually a Nate Mendel and therefore wouldn't have had a Badass (or hi mass as is now) fitted? Confused....

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1480462900' post='3184680']
Erm hadn't you already decided a few posts back that this photo wasn't actually a Nate Mendel and therefore wouldn't have had a Badass (or hi mass as is now) fitted? Confused....
[/quote]

Yes you are right. I had completely forgotten the original post. I had to re read it after I posted the comment. My memory went with my hair. :(

• 8 months later...

I played one of these today in GuitarGuitar Birmingham. I really liked it and am thinking about ways of making it, or one like it, mine. I thought it played nicely and sounded thumpy and tight.

The relic'ing (which I'm not usually a fan of) looked subtle and realistic I thought, but the pickup covers where uneven to the point of looking like they weren't installed properly. The price has gone up too, £900+ now, for a MIM...

Am I right in saying that tbese are also available in non-roadworn finish?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1502317083' post='3350700']
I played one of these today in GuitarGuitar Birmingham. I really liked it and am thinking about ways of making it, or one like it, mine. I thought it played nicely and sounded thumpy and tight.

The relic'ing (which I'm not usually a fan of) looked subtle and realistic I thought, but the pickup covers where uneven to the point of looking like they weren't installed properly. The price has gone up too, £900+ now, for a MIM...

Am I right in saying that tbese are also available in non-roadworn finish?
[/quote]

You can't get anything quite like this in any other version as far as i know - the neck size is unique to it, its made of ash and the body contour is different.
It also has an SD QuarterPounder pickup (although you could retrofit that to any Precision).

I played mine back to back with a normal Mexican P Bass and everything about it was noticeably different. The feel sold it to me and i do tend to like zingy rocky sounding basses anyway so the sound was dead on for me.....

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1502320976' post='3350716']

You can't get anything quite like this in any other version as far as i know - the neck size is unique to it, its made of ash and the body contour is different.
It also has an SD QuarterPounder pickup (although you could retrofit that to any Precision).

I played mine back to back with a normal Mexican P Bass and everything about it was noticeably different. The feel sold it to me and i do tend to like zingy rocky sounding basses anyway so the sound was dead on for me.....
[/quote]

I'd heard the neck was slimmer than the usual P profile which is what appealed initially; you're right, it feels great and I really fancy one now! I'd better get that Stingray that's gathering dust sold...

I like the look.

Given the quality of the premium MIM basses, I think it's about changing perceptions. The old US/MIM battle lines seem to have gone at the upper level. The prices are pretty close too!

£900 for a classy relic? Don't care where it's made... it's all about the feel and tone.