Why become a member? ×

NS Omnibass - anyone play one on a strap?

JapanAxe

I'm considering getting another fretless (been without my Yamaha for a while now), and one of the options is the NS Omnibass - or is it?

I play bass guitar, not upright bass in any form, and I use a floating thumb technique as per Todd Johnson's explanation below. I play quite lightly and let the amp do the work!

[media]http://youtu.be/PPVMBPmrblU[/media]

Upright bass players all seem to anchor their RH thumb on the side of the neck and reach across to pluck the strings in a very physical way, but I would prefer to keep my floating thumb technique, and wear the bass on a boomerang strap:

Does anyone on here have an Omnibass and play it this way? How does it compare to playing a regular fretless bass guitar? In particular, how does the neck profile compare with those found on, say, a Precision? (To avoid any confusion, I am referring to the 34in scale instrument, not the 41.75in NXT models.)

I am happy to take a trip up to Bass Direct at some point and try one, although (1) they only have the 5-string in stock at present, and (2) there would be a high risk of coming away with some other splendid bass that catches my eye; hence I would appreciate your learned comments.

I played one once, but it was some time ago. From what I remember the Omnibass has double bass kind of dimensions to its neck, however, comparing it with any kind of electric bass neck is a little misleading 'cause it has a fingerboard radius that enables it to be played arco (at which is sounds uniquely fabulous). You really have to go and try one.

Phil

PS. The Omnibass, like pretty much anything that comes from the mind of Ned Steinberger, is a fabulous thing and if I had won the lottery yesterday one would have been well up my list of immediate purchases.

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1439187852' post='2840553']
From what I remember the Omnibass has double bass kind of dimensions to its neck, however, comparing it with any kind of electric bass neck is a little misleading 'cause it has a fingerboard radius that enables it to be played arco (at which is sounds uniquely fabulous). You really have to go and try one.
[/quote]

From the Steinberger website:

[b]TransRadius Details: The TransRadius, now standard on the fretless Omni Bass, involves a unique compound curve. For a left-hand feel which is familiar to the experienced bass guitarist, the radius at the nut is ten inches. At the end of the fingerboard near the bridge, however, the radius is just 2.5 inches, large enough to maintain good string-to-string articulation with the bow, yet still comfortable for pizzicato (plucked/picked) style. The transition from nut to bridge features a carefully calibrated asymmetric convex curvature, providing optimal fingerboard relief at each position.[/b]