Guitar amp tilt stands

8 replies to this topic

#1 bassbiscuits

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Basses, guitars and singing in equal doses, drawing and painting, astronomy, attempting to be a responsible parent

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hello all,

Does anyone on here use an amp stand of any sort to raise their amp and project better on stage? I've never used one but recenrly done a couple of gigs where I'm practically standing right in front of the amp and even tilting it back a bit doesn't really help.

So does anyone use one, any recommendations on which are any good, and how the affect the sound?
Cheers

View my feedback here: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2973577

Instruments: Fender 1970 Precision, Epiphone Jack Casady, Yamaha BB604, plus some electric and acoustic guitars and harmonicas
Amplifiers: Aguilar and Schroeder cabs, Markbass and Fender amps
Other: Various fingers, thumbs, tapping feet, nods, winks, desperate facial expressions and often wildly-ambitious cues to the drummer…

#2 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

It's a fairly expensive option but I use my amp's flight case as an amp stand. Even so, if I stand right in front of it I don't hear it that well as I don't have ears in my elbows!
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Markbass Nano Mark 300 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#3 rOB

Puppet Paranoia - telling tall, dark tales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

Some discussion about them here http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

Sorry, just realised this is about guitar amps rather than bass amps.

Edited by rOB, 09 August 2015 - 09:44 PM.

Puppet Paranoia
Feedback

Schecter C4 & Bitsa P Copy
Gallien Krueger MB500 & Orange SP210 (on an amp stand)
Zoom B1on, Ibanez PD7 Phat Hed & Behringer BDI21

#4 bassbiscuits

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Basses, guitars and singing in equal doses, drawing and painting, astronomy, attempting to be a responsible parent

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

Ah nice one.

I must admit I like my amps or cabs on the floor as part of the thump of the sound, so I've been hesitant to stick them on chairs it stands.

But last nights gig was on a small stage area, and I was practically standing right in front of the amp, which seems to be simultaneously too quiet to hear properly and too loud whenever I dug in a bit! Needs to be directed a bit better somehow.

The guitar sound itself is great (a fender HSS start into a Hot Rod Deluxe via some Mooer drive pedals) but not much comfort when you can't hear any of it properly!

Instruments: Fender 1970 Precision, Epiphone Jack Casady, Yamaha BB604, plus some electric and acoustic guitars and harmonicas
Other: Various fingers, thumbs, tapping feet, nods, winks, desperate facial expressions and often wildly-ambitious cues to the drummer…

#5 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,691 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

IME guitar cabs really do benefit from being decoupled from the floor as it diminishes the frequencies that tend to impinge on the bass guitar's sonic space. When looking at tilt-back stands make sure that they support more than on angle so you can set them depending on how close you find yourself standing to your cab.

My Music:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 jazzyvee

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Musician, Photographer and Jazz radio broadcaster.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

There are a number of options I've had some success with and you might find useful depending on your guitar amp.
I have a Roland JC 120 and, on a few occasions when space has been at a premium i've done these.

( a ) set it up on it's side on the floor so the 2x12" speakers are one above the other which seems to project a lot better. Then you can tilt it back to get the firing line closer to your ears.
( b ) set it on it's side on something like a crate or flight case cab etc.

Both of these will get the sound higher up towards your ears and the plus point for me is that I can keep my personal volume down.

Edited by jazzyvee, 10 August 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Bass player for Musical Youth, my NotStrictlyJazz Quartet and occasional session gigs. Also Jazz Radio presenter and photographer.
I love and play Alembic basses exclusively but am not closed minded about learning about other basses and the business of bass.

#7 The Admiral

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

I've got a a multi tilt stand that I use for a Marshall combo, and I have to,say, I find it great, as it means you can aim the speaker at your ears, rather than your trousers. Consequently, from a monitoring point of view, you can turn down and still hear yourself, but, it still projects well into an audience. Good for old backs too - not so far to bend down to change settings! I also think it isolates the speaker better from the stage, which if you are playing on an old hollow village hall or social,club wooden stage, definitely is better for tone, and takes away a lot of the boomy bottom end.

Mine is a Quicklok - about 60 : http://www.gak.co.uk...CFScTwwodrLoH4w

Edited by The Admiral, 16 November 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#8 bassbiscuits

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

I went for the old flight case option - fill it full of leads, plugs and lights etc to take to the gig, then set the amp up on top of it.

It certainly projects better by putting the amp and a more listenable level - whether it affects the tone i couldn't say without a direct comparison. Sounds good for my needs tho.

#9 PaulWarning

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

I use one I got off amazon http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o07_s00
I find it works well I can adjust the angle and unlike some bassists I prefer my combo off the floor to stop possible booming when on a wooden stage

Edited by PaulWarning, 14 December 2015 - 04:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users