Why become a member? ×

Guitar amp tilt stands

bassbiscuits

Hello all,

Does anyone on here use an amp stand of any sort to raise their amp and project better on stage? I've never used one but recenrly done a couple of gigs where I'm practically standing right in front of the amp and even tilting it back a bit doesn't really help.

So does anyone use one, any recommendations on which are any good, and how the affect the sound?
Cheers

Some discussion about them here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/262922-lifting-your-bass-cab-off-the-floor/page__fromsearch__1

Sorry, just realised this is about guitar amps rather than bass amps.

Edited by rOB

Ah nice one.

I must admit I like my amps or cabs on the floor as part of the thump of the sound, so I've been hesitant to stick them on chairs it stands.

But last nights gig was on a small stage area, and I was practically standing right in front of the amp, which seems to be simultaneously too quiet to hear properly and too loud whenever I dug in a bit! Needs to be directed a bit better somehow.

The guitar sound itself is great (a fender HSS start into a Hot Rod Deluxe via some Mooer drive pedals) but not much comfort when you can't hear any of it properly!

IME guitar cabs really do benefit from being decoupled from the floor as it diminishes the frequencies that tend to impinge on the bass guitar's sonic space. When looking at tilt-back stands make sure that they support more than on angle so you can set them depending on how close you find yourself standing to your cab.

There are a number of options I've had some success with and you might find useful depending on your guitar amp.
I have a Roland JC 120 and, on a few occasions when space has been at a premium i've done these.

( a ) set it up on it's side on the floor so the 2x12" speakers are one above the other which seems to project a lot better. Then you can tilt it back to get the firing line closer to your ears.
( b ) set it on it's side on something like a crate or flight case cab etc.

Both of these will get the sound higher up towards your ears and the plus point for me is that I can keep my personal volume down.

Edited by jazzyvee

• 3 months later...

I've got a a multi tilt stand that I use for a Marshall combo, and I have to,say, I find it great, as it means you can aim the speaker at your ears, rather than your trousers. Consequently, from a monitoring point of view, you can turn down and still hear yourself, but, it still projects well into an audience. Good for old backs too - not so far to bend down to change settings! I also think it isolates the speaker better from the stage, which if you are playing on an old hollow village hall or social,club wooden stage, definitely is better for tone, and takes away a lot of the boomy bottom end.

Mine is a Quicklok - about £60 : http://www.gak.co.uk/en/quik-lok-ql-640-amp-stand/33047?gclid=CMus2sj9lckCFScTwwodrLoH4w

Edited by The Admiral

• 4 weeks later...

I went for the old flight case option - fill it full of leads, plugs and lights etc to take to the gig, then set the amp up on top of it.

It certainly projects better by putting the amp and a more listenable level - whether it affects the tone i couldn't say without a direct comparison. Sounds good for my needs tho.

I use one I got off amazon [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008VEAZ2K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00"]http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o07_s00[/url]
I find it works well I can adjust the angle and unlike some bassists I prefer my combo off the floor to stop possible booming when on a wooden stage

Edited by PaulWarning