Why become a member? ×

fender jazz buzzes when i touch strings? Any ideas?

skidder652003

Hi Folks
I know ther could be several reasons for this but any ideas gratefully recieved. Ive tried the bass through several amps without effects and different cables and its the same buzz. When I touch the strings the noise increases considerably, especially with the bridge pickup selected only, when both pickups selected its still there but not so bad, when I turn off the tone control off it diminishes further (but its still there). I guess its a grounding issue? Im useless with tec stuff!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1439201394' post='2840683']
Sell it and get a Precision :)
[/quote]
This is certainly the best solution. Please look no further than my signature.

or... you could read this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194-humming-and-buzzing-problems/

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1439211140' post='2840844']
comedians the lot of you!
will actually try opening it up and finding the problem, thanks for all the er...help! :P
PS already got a Precision, it sounds loads better but got a big fat neck so crap for gigging right? ;)
[/quote]

You're totally correct, of course. Nobody in this world could ever, possibly gig with a MASSIVE, wide P-bass neck could they? :D

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1439211140' post='2840844']

PS already got a Precision, it sounds loads better but got a big fat neck so crap for gigging right? ;)
[/quote]

I used to have an older P, which was heavy as hell, and had a really chunky neck
In fact, it was this bass that put me off Fenders altogether,
until I discovered my RW Jazz, of course...

I've now got a newer USA P, and a Squier Classic Vibe P, which have both got slimmer, shallower necks
They're much more comfortable to play than that old US P
So sort the grounding issue on your Jazz,
Then sell your P bass, and get a Squier CV P bass - and pocket some cash too :)

Check continuity between strings / bridge / sleeve of output jack / lead.

No continuity will cause buzzing when you touch the strings / metalwork as you are acting as an antennae for interference.

To confirm this touch the strings (causing the buzzing) then with your other hand touch some metalwork you know should be connected to ground / earth eg metal barrel of a jack plug going into an amp / screw on rack unit / Copper water pipe etc and the buzzing should go away.
(You are keeping yourself at a fixed potential and so now not acting as an antennae).

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1439309874' post='2841792']
Check continuity between strings / bridge / sleeve of output jack / lead.

No continuity will cause buzzing when you touch the strings / metalwork as you are acting as an antennae for interference.

To confirm this touch the strings (causing the buzzing) then with your other hand touch some metalwork you know should be connected to ground / earth eg metal barrel of a jack plug going into an amp / screw on rack unit / Copper water pipe etc and the buzzing should go away.
(You are keeping yourself at a fixed potential and so now not acting as an antennae).
[/quote]

Yes done that and you're right, the buzzing decreases noticbly, so whats the problem? Any idea?

Sounds like your bridge isn't connected to the 'ground' (screen connection of jack ).
There should be a wire from the bridge (usually underneath or so not visible) to a 'ground' point - often the case of a pot is used.
So check the continuity there.
If that okay check the continuity to the earth pin on the amps power input.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1439397519' post='2842480']
so....I have found when i remove the copper strip from the bridge the buzzing disappears completeley! What the hells going on?
Daft qusetion but is it safe to remove the copper strip completely?
[/quote]

Jazz Basses eh :)

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1439397519' post='2842480']
so....I have found when i remove the copper strip from the bridge the buzzing disappears completeley! What the hells going on?
Daft qusetion but is it safe to remove the copper strip completely?
[/quote]

Yes it's safe In fact probably more safe as then your strings are totally isolated.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1439399679' post='2842515']

Yes it's safe In fact probably more safe as then your strings are totally isolated.
[/quote]

If this is true, why do the manufacturers ever fit the earth?
The earth is there in case a fault was to occur. The only way to electrically isolate your strings would be to cover them in insulating material.

Trust me, there is something wrong with your bass. You simply haven't found it.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439414361' post='2842751']

The earth is there in case a fault was to occur. The only way to electrically isolate your strings would be to cover them in insulating material.

[/quote]

The primary reason for the ground is hum not for safety. Put it this way nylon tapewounds are isolated, are they dangerous to play? No! they have no earth (many people experience buzzing with them). So to disconnect your bridge earth is not dangerous. Unless of course you happen to touch both a positive and negative with the strings at the same time, or if you touch a positive and the earth wire will shock you still etc etc etc.

You should track down the cause of the hum properly however. When I've had hum it's only been because the bridge to earth wire had come off or not enough shielding from interference. Or both.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439414361' post='2842751']

[/quote]

I thought I'd posted here yesterday but can't see it.
It is safer without the 'string earthing' as it avoids the possibilty of the 'earth' wire being miswired somewhere else (in the amp etc) and being wrongly connected to mains or another high voltage (eg in a tube amp).
However, no string grounding / earthing will generally cause hum/buzz when you touch (or are near) the strings because you are not 'grounded'.

To diagnose, get a multimeter with a continuity beeper and check for continuity from the bridge to the sleeve of the output jack then to the earth pin of the amp's mains input and earth pin of the plug.
I'm assuming the amplifier is a standard '3 wire' mains connection.