Why become a member? ×

Which Stingray?

stephaniet17

Howdy - I'm not sure I've written a post here before so hello and hope I follow all the rules...

I've been thinking about getting a stingray, and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I thought it would be best to try and pick up a used MM one rather than go for an OLP or SUB. The trouble is, as a stingray novice, when I look on eBay the prices seem to be so wildly varying (from £600 to £1500) that I'm having trouble working out what I realistically need to budget!

Can anyone offer any advice on the best stingray to start out on?

Have you played one? They're a very distinctive bass, that pickup where it is makes it unlike a lot of other basses (there are many subsequent basses which use it, but the Ray's the original) and so can be Marmite. That's not to say it's a one-trick pony, but it is very distinctive.

I ask because I love them, I keep buying them, but I keep selling them because I don't get on with them in a band context, so they don't get used.

In the light of that, I'd advise a secondhand US Sub (not the Sterling SUB or SUB4 or whatever the hell else Sterling B and the boys have thought of this week) first - can be had for at least a couple of hundred quid less than the US MM ones, and will give you the sound and (most of) the feel of a US one. You'll get your money back selling it on if you decide to either buy a US MM or not bother.

There's differences in models beyond this (the 2 and 3 EQs are voiced differently, for starters), but they're fairly subtle compared to the actual living with the bass itself, and you could probably get into all that once you've established you're a fan of the basses.

PS Ebay pricing? :lol:

Edited by Muzz

I'm biased, but if I were you I would look for a pre Ernie Ball model. However, if you can't find one or find they are too expensive, buy a Classic StingRay instead. :)

In my opinion the 2 band EQ, one pickup models rule.

Edited by matski

Great basses! but if you're wanting to scratch that itch without having played one I'd definitely go for a USA sub or Sterling Ray 34 secondhand first. Both can be picked up for under £500. The real deal, full fat USA made Stingrays go for around £650-£850 secondhand.

Edited by 40hz

I wanted a Stingray after playing a friend's. Picked up a USA Sub 5 on here for a very reasonable price and it's great. It has the full US electronics (2-band EQ), and although I prefer an unfinished neck, plays nicely.

Definitely look out for one of those. You won't lose money on it if you try it out and find that you don't get on with it.

You'd be able to find a good one on here I'd say for about £700 upwards.
I personally prefer the 2eq pre EB's, they go for a bit more but have a sound of their own that I couldn't find on a modern Stingray.
I haven't tried a classic but that would be my 2nd choice.

another vote for the Made in USA EBMM SUB.
The white one in particular is beautiful, and they really *are* Stingrays in feel [1] and sound.

[1] ok, the finish of the neck in the SUB makes it feel a bit different, but it's the same profile/dimensions.

I would just jump in and get a USA Stingray. They’re going pretty cheap right now and great value – if you set yourself a budget of £700 to £750 and are prepared to wait for the right one, you will get a decent Ray off ebay soon enough.

The one bass I regret selling was a 3EQ Stingray a few years back…

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1439243243' post='2841310']
Good luck making a choice... Do play one before buying, that Stingray sound can be very in-you-face. If you really want that sound go for it but remember, there is no substitute for da real thang.
[/quote]

Agreed, even with the eq set to smooth off the aggression, for me Stingrays never lose that inherent "Jumpy-ness" to the notes. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your tastes, I personally I like it. My Flea is exactly the same in this regard whereas my Jazz is a bit more malleable in how you can tweak the sound.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1439243243' post='2841310']
Good luck making a choice... Do play one before buying, that Stingray sound can be very in-you-face. If you really want that sound go for i[b]t but remember, there is no substitute for da real thang.[/b]
[/quote]

I'd normally agree with you, but in this case... there sort of is a substitute: the Made in USA SUB ;)
It really depends on whether you can live with the cosmetic differences. Same pickup and preamp, same neck dimensions (as a contemporary -early 2000s- Stingray)... if the lack of body contour does not bother you, or the type of finish... it is a Stingray in all but name.

I'm talking about the USA ones, made between 2003-2006. You can find them used typically for £350-450, depending on condition and whether the seller is in a hurry to sell or not.

Edited by mcnach

I got 2. One with one pickup, one with two pickups. I find that the one with 2 pickups gives a lot more variety in terms of sound. It covers a lot of ground - I've played heavy rock, rock and roll, funk, punk and various other styles with it and been able to get a reasonably good sound for each. Bear in mind that your amp plays a massive role in your sound too. :)

Listen to John Scofield's "Loud Jazz", "Blue Matter" & "Pick Hits Live". Now that's old skool StingRay tone! It made me wanna have a MusicMan. Bought a USA Sterling for the smaller body and narrow neck. The Sterling is kind of a more agressive StingRay.

[quote name='stephaniet17' timestamp='1439226653' post='2841042']
... I play a Fender Precision Deluxe Okoume ... it would be nice to have a second bass which can offer something really different.
[/quote]

In that case I would say go for an EBMM or a Sub. Lovely basses though they undoubtedly are, I think you may find that the Pre-EB Ray and the EB Classic are not different enough from your Precision Deluxe to be worth buying - not if you really do want something that sounds [i]really[/i] different. Soundwise, the Pre-EB is sort of half-way between a Precision and an EBMM. Essentially, what EB did when they bought MusicMan was to 'hotrod' the Ray, by which I mean they took what was different about the Stingray sound and maxed it out. This makes it more of a marmite 'love it or hate it' bass than the Pre-EB, admittedly, but in my view it is a more exciting bass to play - if you like really aggressive basses, that is! The other thing to bear in mind is that Pre-EB build quality was variable, to say the least, whereas EBMM build quality is uniformly stunning - IMO they are the best made mass production basses in the world, by a country mile. Which means you can buy one sight unseen with much more confidence than is the case with Pre-EBs - you really need to check them out in person if you are going to buy one, as there are some real dogs out there.

Here is a really helpful video comparing pre and post EB basses; the difference between the two sounds is very clear! There is no point in saying that one is 'better' than the other - they are just very different beasts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyKzf6Nv0Po

As for the USA vs SUB question, I don't have any knowledge about SUBs at all but I would say that USA EBMMs sell here on Basschat for £650 - 700 these days, which is a steal.

Here is a really helpful video comparing pre and post EB basses; the difference between the two sounds is very clear! There is no point in saying that one is 'better' than the other - they are just very different beasts!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyKzf6Nv0Po[/media]

Yep, that's it right there.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1439306436' post='2841735']
I have nothing to do with this but oooooooh:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267595-usa-sub-2-band-4-string/"]http://basschat.co.u...-band-4-string/[/url]
[/quote]

and THAT is the bass I'd get :)

[quote name='stephaniet17' timestamp='1439311335' post='2841806']
Ooh indeed! Hoping to go and see this if I can. It's like it was meant to be...
[/quote]

Cool! Good luck, welcome (in advance) to the SUB club. :D

Edit: This is a dating site for musicians & gear, not forum. Didn't you know that?

Edited by hairychris